Garvin roof rack 4" or 6" high?

ging

Got a daily driven 06 Wrangler Unlimited....I'm about to pull the trigger on a hard top mount roof rack from Garvin...

Mainly looking for extra storage room for camping gear, tent, bags, chairs?

They offer a 6" high model and a 4" high model. I'm just looking for feedback on people who use roof racks as to pros and cons between the two hights...

Sam_and_Debbie

I run a the 4" wall and have had no issues with storage. The light mounts were perfect. anything I want to carry up there has been problem free with a couple of tie downs. I keep my shovel and High lift bolted up there all the time. Granted I have to keep the high lift on its side and not along the wall. I personally don't know what I would do with the extra 2" except use more fuel to push it.

ox4mag

Explorer
I agree. I've got the 4" version on my TJ and I love it. What I like best is the fact that the rear support arms mount between the frame and body mounts. Having the added support of the rear support arms on the rear body panel AND b/w the frame and body mounts makes a big difference as far as overall weight support. Couple this with 3/16" steel corner guards and you'll be able to put significant weight on your rack with no trouble.

You can see a photo of how I've got mine setup with a roof top tent in the following thread:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11148&page=26

It works great and Garvin's quality is a huge selling point.

ging

Thanks....I was wondering if there was some benefit that I wasn't seeing with a taller rack but with proper lashing I could probably transport anything I want. Plus the 4" has a better look to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__