Gigantor - a 2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 build

bfdiesel

Explorer
Yikes, sorry about that one. Meant heads not block. What the hell was I thinking?

I know the V8 and V10 are from the same family, but there are some major differences in them. Like I said, to my knowledge, the V8s didn't have that issue. The 5.4 in my Expo went over 200k miles and never did it. The 5.4 in my father's truck did the same. The 4.6 in my sister's truck did as well. It also seems that the v8 in the OP's Expo has almost done the same as well. I could be wrong though, but I would still never use an impact to change spark plugs.

Sorry again for the confusion.

I have helped repair many V8's with this problem. It is so common there is a kit to fix it, probably worth buying one and keeping it around. I gave the one I had to a buddy in Wy who had blown 2 out of his 5.4 at last count. I have never owned a ford with one these motors, but I still had a kit to fix it (for friends) if that tells you anything. I have also never touched a V10 ford.

Last edited:

mag162

Sweet ride. I too have a 2000 Expedition XLT. I came into it recently and decided this was gonna be my rig to goof off with. I've been looking to add some sort of Roof basket but have held off because I might go the RTT route. I installed 285 75 17 Cooper ATR's all around. I removed the Running boards also. I'm now looking into a front bumper winch combo but havent found anything in my budget yet. My truck has 75k on it. Its basically brand new.

Gfp Sean

great rig to camp and travel in.

expo's are great rigs. the 5.4 is a 300k motor if you take care of it. if you have the tow package its got the 4r100 trans which can last if you keep it mellow on tire size. mine has 33s on stock 3.73s and its just turned 251k. still stock engine and tranny. it threw a plug on a road trip outside hollister, 600 dollar fix at the dealer. that was at 189k, has'nt done it since. i throw a queen size air mattress in the back for camping with my gf and my dog. size wise they arent that big outside compared to long wheel base trucks. very nimble off road. I would love to solid axle swap with a zf6 behind the 5.4. if you sas' go coilover in front. these are great rigs and super comfortable with good road manners. they can tow like beasts, get decent gasser mileage. good luck and keep us posted.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have a 5.4 super duty I hate the 5.4 i am a mechanic for a living work on them almost every day. I have yet to have an issue with my 5.4 but i Carrie a kit in the glove box just in case. I also have 2 extra coals in there and a transmission in my storage. All things i have collected over the last year. I also have a 12valve and a 6 speed for when the motor goes south.

I like the build up so far keep it up .

oldestof11

Observer
Just saying my old boss 06 f150 had 2 strip out when they went to change the plugs. They weren't spit out but the dealer said they were problematic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

78Bronco

Explorer
Owned 5 different generation 5.4L and never had a plug spit out. Heard of the problem but then again I hear dodge can't build a tranny to handle the cummins...just depends on who the hater is. 5.4 engines are great engines all around work horse.

We love our jack of all trades expedition. Does everything very well.

JeepMI

Observer
Very cool. I've considered an Expedition as a DD/weekend wheeler for a while but never could justify the gas mileage or find a good enough deal to not care. They seem like they would do well though, and yours looks pretty clean too!

nrode2000

Plugs on that motor should not be a problem. Use slow even pressure on your socket and you may have to go in/out just a little to break any corrosion loose between the steel and aluminum. The only time the early 5.4s have a problem is when people try to muscle the plug loose instead of being gentle. This includes using an impact, big no no. Now, on the second generation with the new spark plug design (2004+) the plug has a design flaw in the way it is put together. Those do have problems.

Going back in use a very, very light layer of anti-sieze and do not over torque. I also recommend sticking with the Motorcraft platinum plugs, original style for that motor , not the new style. The aftermarkets will never give you the same service life in my experience.

Would also recommend keeping a spare coil and plug and small scanner in the vehicle if you are mechanically inclined. Those coils are notorious for going out anytime, anywhere. Funny thing is I have seen engines at 200K with new coils all the way around and some with only 1-2 coils replaced. Definitely no rhyme or reason.

Someone mentioned the 4R100 transmission. There were 2 transmissions. You may have the 4R70 or the A4EOD (4R100 variant). Tow package did not define these as even E250 vans had 4R70s in quite a few applications. Either way make sure to do a full service on it with a filter change, torque converter drain and new Mercon V fluid. Some were specced for straight Mercon but use the Mercon V to ward off any potential torque converter shudder.

You have a great base platform here and you got one hell of a steal.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Plugs on that motor should not be a problem. Use slow even pressure on your socket and you may have to go in/out just a little to break any corrosion loose between the steel and aluminum. The only time the early 5.4s have a problem is when people try to muscle the plug loose instead of being gentle. This includes using an impact, big no no. Now, on the second generation with the new spark plug design (2004+) the plug has a design flaw in the way it is put together. Those do have problems.

Going back in use a very, very light layer of anti-sieze and do not over torque. I also recommend sticking with the Motorcraft platinum plugs, original style for that motor , not the new style. The aftermarkets will never give you the same service life in my experience.

Would also recommend keeping a spare coil and plug and small scanner in the vehicle if you are mechanically inclined. Those coils are notorious for going out anytime, anywhere. Funny thing is I have seen engines at 200K with new coils all the way around and some with only 1-2 coils replaced. Definitely no rhyme or reason.

Someone mentioned the 4R100 transmission. There were 2 transmissions. You may have the 4R70 or the A4EOD (4R100 variant). Tow package did not define these as even E250 vans had 4R70s in quite a few applications. Either way make sure to do a full service on it with a filter change, torque converter drain and new Mercon V fluid. Some were specced for straight Mercon but use the Mercon V to ward off any potential torque converter shudder.

You have a great base platform here and you got one hell of a steal.
Most of this info is for 04+ trucks with the two piece plugs. The issue for 97-02 expeditions is the head only has 4 threads holding the plugs in so they get loose and shoot out. Dad it happen to my 97 f150. Also for expeditions they didn't get the 2 piece plugs until 05. The f150s got them from 04 -late 07. There are varying opinions on whether or not to use anti seize on the 97-02 motors but the general consensus is that you shouldn't as it screws up your torque rating leaving it lower than it needs to be leading to the plug working loose.
As for the transmissions the a4eod is actually the e40d that were used in previous generation(91-96) ford trucks and suvs. It was a hold over until 97 and then only 4r70w and 4r100s were used. With a 5.4l you more than likely have a 4r100, 4r70s came with 4.6ls.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
I have a 99 Expedition that I am doing similar things - sleeping platform, CB, etc. - just stuff for slight off roading, camping, etc. I am located north of Atlanta - good to see another Expy on here (esp in Atlanta).

Hammer

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just wanted to chime in to see this is an interesting build. I like the 1st gen Expeditions, seems like a solid platform and from what I've seen they can be found dirt cheap in a lot of places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner