Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

What are you using for supports to keep from getting lateral loads and racking?
Kevin
The only thing stopping it from racking is the tent material. The material is under tension and does a pretty good job on it's own. It's very stable front to back but wobbles a couple inches left to right. It would definitely be wobbling while camping in the wind. I'm thinking about a simple stabilizer now. Possibly a U shaped hoop made from electrical conduit, that swings up and snaps to the roof, or even just a single cross brace front and back. I haven't decided yet, but I like simple and light.

pigsammy

That is looking really nice!
I am trying to finish mechanical updates on my truck, then I plan a similar setup.
I've enjoyed following your build and I've learned a lot from it.

Would an "X" brace of paracord or similar stabilize the top or do you think you'll need a hard panel?

The Artisan

Adventurer
The only thing stopping it from racking is the tent material. The material is under tension and does a pretty good job on it's own. It's very stable front to back but wobbles a couple inches left to right. It would definitely be wobbling while camping in the wind. I'm thinking about a simple stabilizer now. Possibly a U shaped hoop made from electrical conduit, that swings up and snaps to the roof, or even just a single cross brace front and back. I haven't decided yet, but I like simple and light.
I would suggest one on each end and make sure the attachment points are well supported. If it severely racks you could bend the strut rods and won't be able to lower it
Kevin

Mules

Well, here comes one of the more difficult items to build, the rear hatch. I'm making it from 1/4" Acrylic sheet and will be cutting and using part of the shell as the lower frame. It is a bit complicated as I'll be using Jeep hinges, compression latches on both sides, a couple small pneumatic struts, and it needs to be weather tight. I would have preferred glass, but there is a slight curve to the rear hatch, I have to deal with. I will keep the protective plastic coating on it, as long as possible.

IMG_6262.JPGStay tuned, this might get ugly...

Last edited:

97heavyweight

Love the build!!

Sorry if I missed it How are you going to keep the bed and cab solid so they do not flex separately. I personally did not know how much my Tacoma bed flexed compared to the cab until I had my camper mounted and could see the camper move around.

Mules

Here’s the Jeep hinges and compression locks for the rear hatch. They are both heavy duty cast metal.

DDEC92CC-C46C-4AF3-9F00-763CA2E6E88F.jpeg

Mules

Love the build!!

Sorry if I missed it How are you going to keep the bed and cab solid so they do not flex separately. I personally did not know how much my Tacoma bed flexed compared to the cab until I had my camper mounted and could see the camper move around.
The short story is that I built in a half inch of allowance for flex between the cab and bed. This should work, but read the thread for the backup plan, if it's not enough.

Mules

Some paper and double sided tape to trace the back window. Shorten it a bit to fit my narrowed shell and it looks like it’s ready to cut.

59E2B8A0-D019-42BF-BD22-496157F099A2.jpeg13A82BAA-A6AA-4EED-9690-0F04C0D971F6.jpeg28523A32-B744-4A36-AE7A-F350AA2C8AF8.jpeg7E353F55-5DCA-4222-B03A-152C0B5DC9E5.jpeg

Mules

That is looking really nice!
I am trying to finish mechanical updates on my truck, then I plan a similar setup.
I've enjoyed following your build and I've learned a lot from it.

Would an "X" brace of paracord or similar stabilize the top or do you think you'll need a hard panel?
I think the tent material works about the same as an X brace from paracord and has too much give. I definitely will need to make a more solid stabilizer from panels or metal tubing. It might have worked with a lower tent, but mine is so tall, it amplifies the racking.

Reactions: mog

Andrew_S

Observer
First of all bravo! The fit and finish on this topper is unreal. The attention to detail is second to none.
In regards to mattresses, we went the cheaper route, milliard, and have no regrets. It's firm and even when kneeling I don't bottom out (200lbs).
There are tons of adhesive backed options out there for gaskets. If you have a local supplier nearby, I would recommend stopping in and asking to see everything they have. Hard to beat putting your hands on a product to make sure it's what you want.

Can't wait to see more pics, keep up the great work.

Mules

I'm still looking for some OEM looking latches for the roof top tent. A number of people on the forum suggested against this because the OEM hood latches didn't have adjustability for the compressed gaskets. What about these? They have the Jeep look, and some adjustability.

.Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 6.44.31 AM.png

Mules

I almost scrapped my acrylic window. I researched and tried a 14 tooth jig saw blade and it vibrated and cracked the acrylic. Luckily I flipped the pattern and had just enough left for one more shot. Next I tried a 10 tooth wood blade and it cut like butter. You wouldn’t think there was much difference. I’m fine tuning the edge with a sander.

9A11907D-242E-4CC2-B2AA-DF41B321A8B5.jpegEE0FEDDF-9540-4DC4-8B6E-D119E4069488.jpeg1F16B1D6-968B-47FA-B8B9-13E38B633BDD.jpegE21237DD-DAEF-4124-B1FD-DF54AF0EC712.jpeg

Mules

If fits. Still has the protective plastic on it. I’m going to black out a boarder around the edge like OEM window when done.
A67D8B97-8EEB-46D6-82F5-03F2576605BD.jpeg

Mules

I spend more time at the hardware store than on the build. Another trip for longer bolts for the hinges.
D8EB825A-D874-4BCD-A061-5445E79C7420.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online