Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Did you get bleed through from the backside when you pressed the carpet to the ply?
Kevin
No, I ordered the heaviest automotive stretch carpet I could find. It's meant for auto flooring, and it's overkill for the interior ceiling or side panels. A thinner material like speaker liner, or trunk liner would be easier to work with. Since this is so heavy, I might change my mind about using it on the interior side panels.

The Artisan

Adventurer
No, I ordered the heaviest automotive stretch carpet I could find. It's meant for auto flooring, and it's overkill for the interior ceiling or side panels. A thinner material like speaker liner, or trunk liner would be easier to work with. Since this is so heavy, I might change my mind about using it on the interior side panels.
Ok you had mentioned overspray allways spray your panel first then let it tack off then light coat on the carpet. Contact cement works great for it and landau contact is even better. Once each side is dry stick together. Cheap harbor freight gun and compressor
Kevin

Zybane

I must have missed it... you are going to cut/remove the rear Gladiator cab bulkhead and front of the pickup bed and make one open living area? Are you going to use an accordion bellows to seal it up?

Mules

I must have missed it... you are going to cut/remove the rear Gladiator cab bulkhead and front of the pickup bed and make one open living area? Are you going to use an accordion bellows to seal it up?
The bulkhead stays, with a seal between it and the cab. At full suspension articulation, I have about 3/8" twist between the cab and bed. I've designed in 1/2" allowance for this twist. If my idea doesn't work, my connection points to the cab should break (like shear pins), and I'll have to go to option #2 (cutting a seam between cab and bed).

Well that's the plan. Time will tell if it works.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
It's very easy to get overspray off this automotive style carpet with a rag and a can of brake cleaner. Spray liberally on rag then rub the carpet vigorously where you've got a mess. Cleans right up and doesn't seem to affect the adhesive under the carpet in the jobs I've done since I started using it.

Mules

It's very easy to get overspray off this automotive style carpet with a rag and a can of brake cleaner. Spray liberally on rag then rub the carpet vigorously where you've got a mess. Cleans right up and doesn't seem to affect the adhesive under the carpet in the jobs I've done since I started using it.
That's a great tip!

Mules

Has anyone used spray foam insulation in a can? I'm thinking about using this.

pith helmet

Yes but Not that brand or for a project like yours. It works well in home construction but most of those products will expand to the point that they can cause damage.
I have used a pink foam that my hvac guy used around my ductwork and it doesn’t expand as much. Can’t remember the name. I couldn’t see that vid so that may be what you’re looking into.

dstefan

Has anyone used spray foam insulation in a can? I'm thinking about using this.

Have you looked at Lizard Skin? Havent used personally, but researched it at one point and it seemed really effective. I think some here on Expo have used it, and Brian on the Solid Woodworks YouTube channel had segment on it if you’re researching.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy