GlobalJet's attempt at a M416 Rebuild

GlobalJet

Tub back from powder coating

A week late, tub is finally back from powder coating. Shop said their supplier had a hard time getting them the custom colored powder. And after the wait, color match way off. Although I must say I like the color.
The Thule mounts will hold the RTT. More pics tomorrow.

IMG_7445.jpg

GlobalJet

Thanks for the comments - This was my first powder coating experience, and very impressed with how good it came out.

Now time for the 'top' or lid decision. Thinking I'm going to go extremely simple. I used the same Thule mounts I had used to hold the tent to the truck, just shortened the rails. Instead of a top, going to try and keep it opened - someone's thread here on EP mentioned using Plano 1819 XXL storage boxes. They fit perfectly in the tub - figure they can keep the outdoor camp gear as dry as it needs to be - will have to come up with a way to secure them. And the tent can be easily removed to use the trailer for other duty. I'm sure I'll readdress this issue after my first winter outing and have to deal with a load of snow.

For now, here's this AM's progress.

The sand blasting found no rust holes in bed. I removed the original drain plugs as they were too rusty to save. Will replace someday...
IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7445.jpg

Maybe my wife's favorite part of the project - no more struggling to lift the tent to the top of the truck.
IMG_7454.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7458.jpg

Was looking for, or to build expedition-style trailer to drag behind my DII. Liked the size/design of the highly modifiable M416. From local CL listing found a 1967 M416 in pretty decent shape. Completely intact, all original, no mods beyond 12v lighting. Came w/ extra set of pwdr coated rims, set of new bearings/seals, original military lights, tarp, and tarp support. Appeared to be all just surface rust, hand brake still worked. Made deal and towed it to the 'rebuild facility'.

View attachment 244771

View attachment 244793

View attachment 244809

After researching most of the builds on this forum, decided I'd have frame and tub blasted and powder coated, flip original springs for additional height, and attempt to bolt DII wheels, using adapters, to the stock hubs. Lot's of posts regarding different rim bolt on's; stock Jeep, new axle/hubs to match rims… Couldn't find any data on the DII (5 on 120mm) rims, so as I type adaptitusa.com are making a pair of adapters. We'll see how that turns out.

The frame and accessories are back from from pwdr coating. Very pleased with results. When I picked up the frame I dropped the tub off for same treatment. Frame was coated in semi-gloss black. The tub will be grey, to match the DII. Here's some shots of the frame re-assembly. 'Flipped' the axle to bottom of stock springs, new CJ3 shocks from JC Whitney, and new axle U-bolts from AutoZone. Replacing all simple hdw with stainless steel.

View attachment 244798

View attachment 244795

View attachment 244794

View attachment 244805

View attachment 244806

View attachment 244808
Do you remember how much lift you got going spring over axle? Was it hard to do? I picked up some rubi wheels and 32" km1 to match the JKUR but not sure they will fit without going spring over.

266d6d0b320bd6795f57b774d5b31831.jpg

GlobalJet

Do you remember how much lift you got going spring over axle? Was it hard to do?

Using the stock springs and no other addition lift, simply 'flipping' the set up, added 4 1/2". And very easy. Just invert the axle, and using same mount point, reassemble to bottom side of spring. I did relieve the hole in the axle mounting plate slightly to make room for nut that is on spring.

If you want to utilize the hand brake, you'll need to invert the brake housings where they bolt to axle. Again, simple. Flipping the axle adds distance that the brake cable needs to travel. I've seen a few unique ideas on how to remedy that. I simply by-passed the two brackets that bolt to frame midway from hand brake to the drums. That makes up the difference, but allows cable to rub over spring. So I protected the cable with some stock rubber hose.

I'm sure I made that sound a lot more complicated than it needed to be. I'll post some pics later in the day - hope that helps.

trialrun

Observer
Look great, also a great looking rig. Got to see it in person at the muddy chef challange not too long ago, didn't know you were from Weha. I was in the 03 white disco and my buddy AJ had the maroon disco 1. We both are in Gbury and E hartford, if you're ever looking to go on trail runs, let me know. We've gone to a few spots in Middletown, Ellington, Manchester and Glastonbury

Globaljet is your frame powder coated gloss black? Also with the wheel adaptors did you have to specify enough room to accommodate the grease cap or that's just how they came?

GlobalJet

Globaljet is your frame powder coated gloss black? Also with the wheel adaptors did you have to specify enough room to accommodate the grease cap or that's just how they came?

Sorry for the delay - got caught up a too long work trip.
That's a semi-gloss black. And the way I describe the spacers on page 1 of this thread is exactly what I asked for. The grease caps fitting was just good luck.

GlobalJet

Trailer has worked out great, out lasting the failing Rover.

image1-2.jpg

So we replaced Rover with the new JK - Had to 'un-flip' the axel back to its original configuration to size down to the stock Jeep height.

image1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL