GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Willsfree

Not sure about the code, but towing a trailer up over a high pass or for long distances would warrant a trans cooler for me especially with a heavy trailer. I installed one on my 1995 1/2 Chevy Z71 for carrying my Lance camper; it was a definite improvement.

Scotty D

I absolutely love my my AWD express but it is terrible for towing, like really really bad.
The 4L60E is the weak link.
I got my van cheap because the last owner blew the trans towing a 4000 pound trailer around the southwest.
Its a very light duty unit but might be part of the reason we get such good mileage
If you can help it , dont tow anything at all

Choff

Adventurer
I have a AWD Savana, Love it also, BUT- I have towed car trailers w/car, moving trailer from down south, and small utility trailer all over.
No problems with Trans yet!! with 239,000 miles on Van.
Van does have towing package also.

Hi fellow adventurers! Still selling my 2012 GMC AWD High roof if anyone is interested please DM me. Has the high roof, awd w locker, hard woods, bump outs for side sleeping- its ready to go! $13.9k obo! Thanks!!

jamesm113

Hi all, curious if anyone has any experience with the Monroe or KYB shocks. 2013 Express 2500, 155" WB moto/camper van setup. No lift, all terrain tires. I do take it on fire roads, but no crazy trails. It's an long wheelbase 2wd van after all.

Previous owner put in new monroe shocks (the yellow ones, so pretty sure the gas magnum line) before I purchased the van, but they honestly feel like garbage. Van is bouncy, shocks are garbage off road and I've even had some scary moments on the highway because of them (rapid succession of potholes had me almost lose control).

I've had good luck with KYB struts on my cars (and of course KYB's moto suspension is excellent), would the gas-a-justs be good enough for highway and fire road duty or would they be similar to the monroes i have on there already?

Last edited:

DbqDude

Hi all, curious if anyone has any experience with the Monroe or KYB shocks. 2013 Express 2500, 155" WB moto/camper van setup. No lift, all terrain tires. I do take it on fire roads, but no crazy trails. It's an long wheelbase 2wd van after all.

Previous owner put in new monroe shocks (the yellow ones, so pretty sure the gas magnum line) before I purchased the van, but they honestly feel like garbage. Van is bouncy, shocks are garbage off road and I've even had some scary moments on the highway because of them (rapid succession of potholes had me almost lose control).

I've had good luck with KYB struts on my cars (and of course KYB's moto suspension is excellent), would the gas-a-justs be good enough for highway and fire road duty or would they be similar to the monroes i have on there already?

I think there is a thread for the 2wd full size gm vans where you may find better answers. This thread is the AWD express van which is a completely different build underneath from your 2500 2wd. I installed Bilsteins on my AWD and it rides like a Cadillac.

Scotty D

So the stock wheel size is 17 and some folks like to go up in size.
I want to do the opposite and go down to 16 or even 15 so that I can air down and get a bigger footprint without bottoming out on the rim.
Has anyone ever heard of this being done on our vans?

DbqDude

So the stock wheel size is 17 and some folks like to go up in size.
I want to do the opposite and go down to 16 or even 15 so that I can air down and get a bigger footprint without bottoming out on the rim.
Has anyone ever heard of this being done on our vans?

I don't think a 15 will fit over the brakes. Not sure if a 16 will either.

Willsfree

2005 came stock with the 16 inch rims. I just put Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T III LT235/85R16 tires on mine for more sidewall height, narrow footprint and cushion. Drives well in all conditions.

Willsfree

Here's my suspension modification parts list. Great improvement to clearance and road manners...

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thats my big worry , when I eyeball it , it seems like it might make it
Maybe with a negative offset?
Depends on what year van. They increased the size of the brakes at some point it think at 08/09.
I know my 2010 I tried 16" wheels and they didn't clear the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater