GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

fire_strom

Adventurer
Updates on the above stuff:
The Pioneer fit great. No problem with fit including all the extra cables. There is lots of room below the head unit for adaptor components.
The TadiBrothers camera kit went in easy and works great but the camera its self is useless to me. I really only care about being able to see the rear bumper and the trailer ball when it's in. The Tadi only shows from about 3.5 feet off the back. I can do good enough with my mirrors for that accuracy. The wireless is awesome though. I'd get it and a different camera. From what I can tell there are only 2 different housings (different cameras can be stuffed into these housings so still look at the specs). The one Tadi uses looks like this:
635427527632273827.jpg.jpg
Note banana shaped protrusion for the camera and red top like stock.

The one I think I want that has a ball swivel camera for adjustability is this:
2016040415053381290.jpg
I just want to be able to see where the truck ends and the world begins when I'm in reverse.
-G

Last edited:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I have the RIS vision camera. Viewing a ball hitch is no problem. Seeing the corners of the bumper are a little skewed due to the fisheye effect.

skibum148

sway bars

does anyone have experience with adding rear sway bars to the awd 1500? it looks like there are 2 options, boulder 4x4 vans sell a kit with rear sway bars and shocks for around $800. i have seen somewhere someone thought it was the helwig for a 2500 with an altered mounting kit? maybe 1 and 3/8th?

tfent also makes a kit for the rear of the awd van for $325 ish if you email them. According to Tom it is their design manufactured by helwig. bar is 1 and 1/8th.

any opinions on either or both? also are there any kits or options for front sway bars? i haven't been able to come up with anything

TeleSteve

Adventurer
The front should have a factory sway bar, not sure if there are any oversized upgrades. I have a Hellwig 7623 (1-1/8") rear sway bar that have yet to install that looks like it should be a direct bolt in.

Accrete

Explorer
does anyone have experience with adding rear sway bars to the awd 1500?..any opinions on either or both?..
I'll be following as this is our next tweak we wish to complete before spring thaw and the 2017 season.

On a anti-sway note; Cari and I did some fall cleaning/rearranging of gear inside the van. I'm not sure why certain types of gear ended up where they did, but we have two attic areas (image link showing the rear overhead) that are the original roof sections that remain from after Van Specialties cut the center ~6 feet~ out to allow ~5'10" standing height under the fiberine top and drop ceiling. Anywhooo... and i'll upload some new images... we swapped out the white plastic storage boxes/drawers shown in the image linked above with several of the collapsible hard wall/fabric cubes that have become popular in the IKEA DIY type furniture. We went with black and it works nice with the black trim already part of the interior. The biggest boost to the anti-sway (in this context) was organizing only light items above such as freeze dried food / light non perishable items / clothes / blankets. I took the van out for a drive and felt the positive handling change by the finish of the second turn on our curvy-country road. Simple things. Don't know why it didn't really hit me before this fall-cleaning event, but glad it did. I know it is a DUH thing, though at the time seasons ago, putting a camp lantern or two, batteries, random camp items up there one-at-a-time didn't register on a weight factor, but was overridden as to a convenience factor. My bad.

: ) Thom

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Standard double DIN, which is only a height/width rating. It's the depth on the GM van that's the issue. The tolerances are tight. I didn't like any of the units so I called about a Pioneer unit and they admitted that they err on the safe side so they don't get the ****** calls from people that get bound up by challenges. I ended up ordering a Pioneer 4800BS something or other. It should be here tomorrow so I'll report back on the fit ASAP. I got a set of Polk speakers for the rear roof and front doors too. They're my only stock location. I also have a TaddiBrothers wireless 3rd brake light backup camera on order so I'll pipe in on that too. I just need to pick out a little powered sub woofer to round out my A/V. Even old man music needs the low end!
-G

Can you post pic of part number for the stereo and how it looks installed ?

fire_strom

Adventurer
Mcarpenito89
It is the Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. It was an easy install though it took a lot longer then I expected. Many reasons, none due to the hardware.
Pics tomorrow...

TeleSteve
"RIS vision camera" Thanks, I'll Google it.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Mcarpenito89
It is the Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. It was an easy install though it took a lot longer then I expected. Many reasons, none due to the hardware.
Pics tomorrow...

TeleSteve
"RIS vision camera" Thanks, I'll Google it.

Got it , looks like $250 off amazon. Seems this is the right move for my van. I feel like I read another build thread with this exact option. Did you have to buy any install kits with this?

skibum148

The front should have a factory sway bar, not sure if there are any oversized upgrades. I have a Hellwig 7623 (1-1/8") rear sway bar that have yet to install that looks like it should be a direct bolt in.

i sent some emails out and here is what i have heard back so far,

helwig says they do not make anything for the AWD.

tfent says they do have a rear bar for the AWD, but they were not vary familiar with the awd application or why there wasn't a front upgrade available. ( i get the feeling its a repackaged helwig as they said some of their products are off the shelf helwig and others are designed by tfent and manufactured by helwig)

I have yet to hear back from boulderoffroad, my email has been sitting there for 7 days now.

if i dont hear back from boulder i may order the Hellwig 7623 (1-1/8") and give it a try. since its $289 with free shipping, and they are good with returns so if it doesnt fit i should be able to just send it back.

I also put new wheels and tires on. 265/50 x 20 all terrains. went to a 20 inch wheel with 0 offset. the wheel and tire package has helped a decent amount in taking some of the roll out. no rub through the range of motion.

rockbender

Adventurer
I put the 7623 sway bar on my '09 AWD Express. I believe it was a definite improvement. One thing I should have done (but still have not done yet) first though is make sure the shocks were in good shape and a reasonable selection for the added weight of our conversion (I think I am at about 3800# on the rear axle if memory serves me correctly). With just the added sway bar, I would get a bit of 'rebound' coming out of corners. Since the back was a little saggy as well, I added helper springs later on. I couldn't really go with the 3/4 ton suburban springs because the lift would make the van not fit in the garage any more.

When I ordered the sway bar I was originally wondering if I would have wanted the bigger bar for a 2500, but after driving with the 1.125" bar I think it is appropriately sized.

You'll have to drill a couple holes for the mounting brackets - not too big of a deal.

TheCarpenter

Observer
Anyone have a rear mounted spare tire? I know Aluminess made a stand alone tire swinger for a season but discontinued due to lack of interest, I contacted them and they said they would do a run if they got enough interest (group buy?) anyone know of any other options?

Last edited:

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Lift options and availability:

Boulder offroad vans offers two lift kits for the AWD vans a 2" and a 6".
http://boulderoffroadvans.com/chevy_van_lift_kits/chevy__gmc_full_size_awd_van_lift_kits
They also offer some sway bars and skid plates ect.

Rough country leveling kit's for the 1999-2006 GM pickups fit these vans. EXCEPT the rear shocks. Adapters or other provisions need to be make to make the shocks included in this kit work.
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

Additionally any brand torsion keys meant to lift the 1999-2006 pickups should fit the front of the AWD vans.

In the rear simple lift blocks for most any modern 1/2 ton GM product will work.
Or a spring pack from a 1993-1999 3/4 ton suburban can be used. #22-907 they are rated at 2900 pounds vs. the 2200 pound stock springs. The spring pack is 1 7/8" thicker to begin with and adds about 3" of total lift.

Does anybody have a specific site they used for the 92-99 suburban spring packs ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete