GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Willsfree

I'd recommend getting a used tire to run with the three existing tires and then get 4 new tires when you're ready for a clean set. It makes no sense to me that a 1/4" difference would damage the system. These vans are tough and blast over rough road at high speeds in all conditions. My tires were all out of spec when I bought my last set. But hey, it's your money...

TheEL

Observer
I'd recommend getting a used tire to run with the three existing tires and then get 4 new tires when you're ready for a clean set. It makes no sense to me that a 1/4" difference would damage the system. These vans are tough and blast over rough road at high speeds in all conditions. My tires were all out of spec when I bought my last set. But hey, it's your money...
Id say its definitely more than a 1/4". Wasn't even aware getting a used tire was an option. Thanks for the heads up.

TrainingWheelz

Great info in this thread. Read all the posts and still have a question about my specific application.

2014 AWD. Stock suspension (factory torsion keys turned up ~3/4"). Bilstein shock for no lift (can't find p/n) BFG KO2 LT245/75/R17 with no rub.

When fully wet with a heavy bike rack, the rear squats a bit compared to the front and I drag my bike rack on everything. I'm not interested in a "lift" but would like to increase the spring rate/payload in the rear a little bit and gain ~1.5" in height for clearance and to rake the stance towards the front a bit.

Blocks & stock springs won't firm up the rear. 2900# 'burb springs sounds like they give 3-4" lift - too much for me.

Anyone have experience with the 2485# rated springs? Expected lift with these? It's a 4/1 pack compared to my 3/0 factory pack so that will give a bit of height just due to the increased spring thickness. Are they arched differently than the factory springs?

Maybe start with the 4285# springs and see what lift they give? Add a 1" block if needed?

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_6001.jpegIMG_2853.jpeg

TrainingWheelz

I went out and measured my current 3/0 pack - it's 1 3/4" thick.
The 2485# springs are just shy of 3 inches thick so that will give 1"+
Are these arched the same as stock to provide more lift than just the spring pack thickness?

For reference, the 2900# springs are 3-7/16 thick. 1.75" thicker than stock but provide 3-4" of lift so these must be arched differently than stock.

Scotty D

Id say its definitely more than a 1/4". Wasn't even aware getting a used tire was an option. Thanks for the heads up.
Baja is exactly the reason I buy KO2s, you can always get a replacement down there because so many people run them.
You could probably even find a used one
Also a good argument for buying 5 new tires and rotating them all

cmoist

I'm pretty new to the forum and got into a discussion in another thread where I was asked to post some pics of my 2003 2500 AWD in this thread. It was purchased new and has dual side 60/40 doors and a G80 locker. It was bought by my father new and we raced MX out of it for years. He upgraded to an extended 6.6 3500 and I took the 2500 AWD.

Recently, I've gone through most of the front end and am battling rust. I've replaced the rear bumper, encapsulated what I could and am in the process of replacing inner, outer rockers and step supports. Before my ownership, the van had the transfer case replaced and one front hub.

Here are some pics:
Dana 60 12 Bolt
Photo Jun 13, 7 29 34 AM.jpg

Front End, which seems like it's all 1500, as stated before
70458593583__8C08C5BB-646C-480A-8F6D-6C933A2602A6.jpg70510966470__77E74721-2779-4126-849B-5BA878FC1D1E.jpg

6 Lug Wheels
IMG_0505.jpg

As an aside, I used a powder actuated tool to remove all the side door hinges, which worked better than any other method I tried.
Photo Jul 08, 4 10 19 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 09, 7 08 44 PM.jpg

I'm happy to post any other pics needed. It seems like there isn't much info out there on the 2500 AWD.

Last edited:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I went out and measured my current 3/0 pack - it's 1 3/4" thick.
The 2485# springs are just shy of 3 inches thick so that will give 1"+
Are these arched the same as stock to provide more lift than just the spring pack thickness?

For reference, the 2900# springs are 3-7/16 thick. 1.75" thicker than stock but provide 3-4" of lift so these must be arched differently than stock.
I think it is more due to the stiffness of the pack than the arch. From memory (it was a long time ago) I remember the stock springs actually having more arch than the 2900# pack but they were so much weaker they sagged considerably more.

If I were in your shoes I think I would try to disassemble the stock pack and do a "add a leaf" kit.
Dragging the bike carrier is what convinced me I needed to lift the van.

ghia nut

Has anyone swapped in an awd system from a 1500 or 2500 awd into a 2wd van? Is that possible? And yes I know about quigley.

longblue72

Curious as to what people are doing when their front diff is going bad? having a hard time finding replacement parts (3.42 gear's in stock).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle