GM IFS 4x4 conversion

simple

Adventurer
Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Basic info on converting GM vans to 4x4.

I don't know of any aftermarket vendors that supply parts or kits to convert GM vans to IFS or Solid axle.
Clydesdale does GM IFS conversions http://www.sportsman4x4.com/clydesdale/
Quigley did solid axle conversions on GM vans in the early 2000's and now do IFS conversions using their own brackets in combination with GM parts.
Quigley will not convert a van over 4 years old with more than 60k miles and does not offer any of their parts for sale. http://www.quigley4x4.com/tabid/73/Default.aspx

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Pictures originally posted by 86cj Late model GM Quigley 4x4 IFS conversion

attachment.php

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
That must be where I dug up those pic's, never saved the link...

That thread is has a ton of info...............

simple

Adventurer
Bajasportsmobile,

You mentioned in another thread that you had spent a little time looking at the Quigley conversion and that their IFS system was limited due to bump stops. Do you have any insights on whether it would be possible to generally improve upon their suspension and increase travel by setting up a similar suspension with progressive coil over shocks instead of torsion bars?

salto_jorge

When it comes to an IFS conversion how about the IFS system from a 2002-2006 Envoy.

They both use the L460E transmission, only question is can the A-arms an all fit the express. I have seen lots of aftermarket A-arms for the Envoy.

Wheeliee

Im bumping this thread hoping some new developments have come to the surface. We just bought a 2015 express 3500 extended w the 6.0 for our future travels. Ive been pondering the idea of converting to 4wd. They just don't exist in my area of flat and dry Texas and when this low mileage 2wd example popped up I grabbed it. I can fabricate and have lift so I understand this isn't a bolt on affair and I have done SAS swaps before but I just don't have all the info on this IFS style. I am trying to find all the parts on what they use to convert but it seems they keep that info in pocket. I have been able to kinda find some of the parts and such but I would love to know exactly what is needed like whats factory GM and from what models and what parts I need fabricated or modified. I know they use the np261 T-case, k-series front axle and lower control arm and I would have to add a provision for the torsion bars. I am just surprised no one has done this DIY and very little info is out there. :/

simple

Adventurer
One place to start is to buy or find a 2500 or 3500 truck frame complete with front axle, suspension and steering that someone has parted out. They're not worth much once they're stripped down to that level. A while back I found one in my area for $250. From there you could start measuring and fitting to see what crosses over and what doesn't.

Another route may be to find someone with a Quigley conversion and have them contact Quigley about replacement parts. Like replacement control arms. Or get their vin number and call Quigley. Mechanics have to be able to order replacement suspension parts for Quigley converted vans. It would really suck if you could only take your van to a specified dealer and have them work on it behind a curtain. LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner