GMC Savana AWD De-Conversion (Dodge Ram replacement)

oPaul - I did modify the rear hinges by removing the door stop mechanism; 2 bolts if I remember. You can also open the door less than 1/2 way & pull the door stop bar toward yourself preventing it from catching inside the door & allow it to swing all the way open. I do have small creases in the doors where they swing and make contact with the van body.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it. Maybe we need those door keepers like a sprinter or UPS truck has on the back doors to hold them in place when open.

Savana suspension lift; Suburban springs, Max keys, Bilstein shocks

Front:
Bilstein #24-186643
Rear:
Bilstein #24-185615
Max Suspension keys, General Spring 1999 3/4 ton Suburban springs with Energy Suspension spring bumpstops 9-9132G.

Once installed I will take measurements with rear shocks compressed and extended, as well as rear brake line length... may need to drop bumpstops & extend brake lines.

Damn that looks great! Brakes OK? Any vibes?

No vibes, feels tighter in corners(no sway), smooth as butter - waaay improved on pot holes, parking lot transitions, and wash board dirt.
Brakes and lines seem fine on jack in garage - appointment with my mechanic Monday to discuss adding 2"
to front and rear lines to be safe in case off-road drop over extends.

Should have came from the factory with this leaf pack...

86cj

Explorer
Your van has got to be inspiring people to snatch these AWD 1500's up!.......

Give those old conversion vans a way to redeem their fate as a tacky relic from the SUV line at the Elementary School to chasing trout on mountain streams. The Van might reward you with many trouble free miles for the effort, with the right driver these AWD Vans are very capable......

I noticed the extra wheel travel soaking up the bumps immediately, instead of the harsh cranked torsion bar feel and no bumpsteer. These vans drive like a stock SUV or PU on any road surface encountered even on windy days.
I had the Hellwig 1 1/8" rear swaybar (not the 1 3/8") on my wishlist and am not sure the need is there, looks like an easy bolt on # 7623.... http://www.mediafire.com/view/nnyzwixyyyigulk/7623.pdf

Some info on your rear shocks, 24-185615's have softer valving at 287-77 vs 389-73 Bilstein spec's to control a 3/4 ton van spring pack and 361-68 for a 1/2 ton van. Bilstein told me they will re-valve your longer 5100's quickly for minimal cost, just shipping? I just wanted to mention that if you find need a little more control back there, he also said they might issue part numbers if the interest was there.........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven