GMT800 People - Opinions wanted on upgrades/mods

lilkia

So I’m curious. What type of aftermarket support are you really needing? Drawers- probably one of my favorite things in my truck are not vehicle specific. My Eezi-Awn platform rack, again is not vehicle specific. Lights, not vehicle specific.

Bumpers? If there isn’t anything available, the same cost paid to a local fabricator will get you a bumper of your design instead of some company’s design.

Suspension? There’s a long list of torsion bars that will swap in that have different load ratings. Rear springs- if you don’t have the Z71 springs already, that’s an easy swap.

I’d say it’s more of a lack of creativity.

I think a lot of the things people are wanting are really unnecessary for the burbs at least those that are actually used. Like underbody armor and long travel lift kits. The burbs arent rock crawlers and most of the sensitive bits are fairly well protected as is. If people really plan on using a burb that way then they need to forget bolt on for their IFS and go for a solid axle axle swap. I think a lot of it is mall crawler syndrome. Bolt on everything under the sun so every one knows you offroad. Other than actual mechanical parts what does anyone need to be vehicle specific? Hell I built my first offroader at 14 in the mid 80s with junkyard and jc whitney parts. There were no real vehicle specific lift kits. No super expensive heavy duty steering bits. There were multi shock junk parts that looked cool on super lifted trucks that never leave the street because the didnt really work offroad. I have to agree with you I think most of the issue is lack of creativity and lack of old world skills.

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
So I’m curious. What type of aftermarket support are you really needing? Drawers- probably one of my favorite things in my truck are not vehicle specific. My Eezi-Awn platform rack, again is not vehicle specific. Lights, not vehicle specific.

Bumpers? If there isn’t anything available, the same cost paid to a local fabricator will get you a bumper of your design instead of some company’s design.

Suspension? There’s a long list of torsion bars that will swap in that have different load ratings. Rear springs- if you don’t have the Z71 springs already, that’s an easy swap.

I’d say it’s more of a lack of creativity.

The biggest frustration for me when I owned mine was the lack of bumper options, particularly for the rear with a tire carrier. It's very easy to say 'just go to a fabricator', but not nearly as easy in practice. Right off the bat, finding a good and reputable welder / fabricator, if you aren't in the industry or happen to already know one, is not necessarily difficult but can be very time consuming. Getting recommendations, checking out reviews,, vetting those to weed out fanboys and 'fake' reviews, talking to those that look promising to see if they're even interested or available.. I mean, unless you want to just pick one that has a cool yellow pages ad, and hope for the best... Actually finding someone you can trust with thousands of dollars of custom work, especially on parts that can be very critical from a safety perspective, is anything but easy.. At least in my mind.

Now, once you found that one, you then have to come up with a design.. If the plan is purely function over form, then that isn't too bad, but don't you also want it to look good? Maybe I sell myself short, but I have trouble believing I would be very successful with the very first bumper I have ever designed. Perhaps the fabricator would do better, but if my options did not include one that had actually fabricated a bumper like this before, who's to say his or her design would be any better?

I just have way too much I have to do, or prefer to do, to want to spend that amount of time for a set of bumpers. There is nothing that special that I needed or wanted out of them, recovery points, winch mount, some additional clearance.. So aside from the simple lack of off-the-shelf options, why would I want to bother with all of that? I mean, if I wanted to make some one of a kind, uniquely practical, or an otherwise highly specialized application, going the custom fabrication route just isn't worth it unless I already have resources in place. The Ranch Hand bumpers I went with worked well. They provided the additional approach and departure clearance I desperately needed and I especially liked the amount of flat surface both front and rear provided. What I didn't like was the weight. They are built very strong, no doubt, far stronger than I needed. The cost of that strength, was the weight. They also did not have a winch compatible front, which I would have liked.

The other big one that was lacking when I owned mine, were lift options. I did have the Z71, and I made do with the options I had, but short of ripping everything out to sas it, ford keys and rear spacers were about my best option for a minimal amount of additional clearance without sacrificing the ride or blowing the budget. I didn't want some brodozer with 6 inches of lift, but a couple inches more than stock would have been nice. Especially since a month after I bought it, the front and rear bumper covers were ripped loose during my first trip.

As for drawers.. Nope, I can easily make those myself, and have in the past. I actually did not want, nor need drawers in the Suburban, though I did built a platform to replace the middle captains chairs, making the floor flat, that I would swap in for longer trips. That way our two dogs didn't have to ride all the way in the back. And no, creativity was not my problem, as I do a significant amount of customization to every vehicle I own, and I don't mean by just buying and bolting on off-the-shelf stuff other people design. I have always done nearly all of my work myself, and often make my own version of products that are being commercially sold, but ridiculously priced.

Besides, if I do lack creativity, so what? That invalidates my desire to have production options for my vehicle mods? Everyone's situation, needs and wants differ. Just because all you needed was a roof rack, drawers and lights for your intended use, does not mean that is all that I needed or wanted.

I think a lot of the things people are wanting are really unnecessary for the burbs at least those that are actually used. Like underbody armor and long travel lift kits. The burbs arent rock crawlers and most of the sensitive bits are fairly well protected as is. If people really plan on using a burb that way then they need to forget bolt on for their IFS and go for a solid axle axle swap. I think a lot of it is mall crawler syndrome. Bolt on everything under the sun so every one knows you offroad. Other than actual mechanical parts what does anyone need to be vehicle specific? Hell I built my first offroader at 14 in the mid 80s with junkyard and jc whitney parts. There were no real vehicle specific lift kits. No super expensive heavy duty steering bits. There were multi shock junk parts that looked cool on super lifted trucks that never leave the street because the didnt really work offroad. I have to agree with you I think most of the issue is lack of creativity and lack of old world skills.

I think a lot of the things people post clearly illustrates that they cannot see beyond their own wants and needs. Nor do some seem to understand that just because someone's intended and desired use may differ from their own, that does not mean one is wrong and the other is right. Nor does it give anything close to sufficient information for you to draw the conclusions you are.

You guys seem to have a pretty egocentric way of looking at things.. You really should try and consider the perspectives of others before jumping conclusions and making assumptions.

lilkia

Well someones a little sensitive. You missed the entire point of my post but that seems to go with the whole bolt on crowd. If youre going to be that "extreme" (sorry I tried saying it with a straight face) where you need some of the things youre talking about then you need to forget about direct bolt on mall crawler crap and learn how to fab or adapt the things you need. Look at Dreis truck. I think some of his opinions are delusional but he can at least adapt things to make them work with out having 4wheel parts bolt em on for him.

For example you brought up the lack of bumpers for the sub/tahoe. Sure. What about bumpers for other gmt800 vehicles or gmt400 trucks or hell how about just other fullsize vehicles like fords or dodge? Many of them can be made to fit (quite nicely) with just basic tools like a grinder and welder or in some cases just changing or moving brackets. Hell my old sportage was all home built. I adapted jeep coils springs for the rear and made strut spacers out of DOM and 1/4plate for a 4" lift, and the front winch bumper was an ARB adapted off of an XJ.

Theres no need for full on fab work I mean thats just the very basic kind of stuff and honestly if you cant handle something like that what the hell are you going to do when you break down out in the middle of nowhere and you dont have the exact part to bolt on? I absolutely despise wheelin with full bolt on rigs because I know Im gonna have to fix their crap while they stand there and watch. Theres a reason bolt on people are generally associated with mall crawlers that never leave pavement and just want the look, when their stuff breaks down in the wilderness theres no safe space to run to.

The biggest frustration for me when I owned mine was the lack of bumper options, particularly for the rear with a tire carrier. It's very easy to say 'just go to a fabricator', but not nearly as easy in practice. Right off the bat, finding a good and reputable welder / fabricator, if you aren't in the industry or happen to already know one, is not necessarily difficult but can be very time consuming. Getting recommendations, checking out reviews,, vetting those to weed out fanboys and 'fake' reviews, talking to those that look promising to see if they're even interested or available.. I mean, unless you want to just pick one that has a cool yellow pages ad, and hope for the best... Actually finding someone you can trust with thousands of dollars of custom work, especially on parts that can be very critical from a safety perspective, is anything but easy.. At least in my mind.

Now, once you found that one, you then have to come up with a design.. If the plan is purely function over form, then that isn't too bad, but don't you also want it to look good? Maybe I sell myself short, but I have trouble believing I would be very successful with the very first bumper I have ever designed. Perhaps the fabricator would do better, but if my options did not include one that had actually fabricated a bumper like this before, who's to say his or her design would be any better?

I just have way too much I have to do, or prefer to do, to want to spend that amount of time for a set of bumpers. There is nothing that special that I needed or wanted out of them, recovery points, winch mount, some additional clearance.. So aside from the simple lack of off-the-shelf options, why would I want to bother with all of that? I mean, if I wanted to make some one of a kind, uniquely practical, or an otherwise highly specialized application, going the custom fabrication route just isn't worth it unless I already have resources in place. The Ranch Hand bumpers I went with worked well. They provided the additional approach and departure clearance I desperately needed and I especially liked the amount of flat surface both front and rear provided. What I didn't like was the weight. They are built very strong, no doubt, far stronger than I needed. The cost of that strength, was the weight. They also did not have a winch compatible front, which I would have liked.

The other big one that was lacking when I owned mine, were lift options. I did have the Z71, and I made do with the options I had, but short of ripping everything out to sas it, ford keys and rear spacers were about my best option for a minimal amount of additional clearance without sacrificing the ride or blowing the budget. I didn't want some brodozer with 6 inches of lift, but a couple inches more than stock would have been nice. Especially since a month after I bought it, the front and rear bumper covers were ripped loose during my first trip.

As for drawers.. Nope, I can easily make those myself, and have in the past. I actually did not want, nor need drawers in the Suburban, though I did built a platform to replace the middle captains chairs, making the floor flat, that I would swap in for longer trips. That way our two dogs didn't have to ride all the way in the back. And no, creativity was not my problem, as I do a significant amount of customization to every vehicle I own, and I don't mean by just buying and bolting on off-the-shelf stuff other people design. I have always done nearly all of my work myself, and often make my own version of products that are being commercially sold, but ridiculously priced.

Besides, if I do lack creativity, so what? That invalidates my desire to have production options for my vehicle mods? Everyone's situation, needs and wants differ. Just because all you needed was a roof rack, drawers and lights for your intended use, does not mean that is all that I needed or wanted.

I think a lot of the things people post clearly illustrates that they cannot see beyond their own wants and needs. Nor do some seem to understand that just because someone's intended and desired use may differ from their own, that does not mean one is wrong and the other is right. Nor does it give anything close to sufficient information for you to draw the conclusions you are.

You guys seem to have a pretty egocentric way of looking at things.. You really should try and consider the perspectives of others before jumping conclusions and making assumptions.
Have you checked out MOVE bumpers? They offer two different front and rear bumpers for the hoes, and a tire carrier. I know it's weld yourself but it takes 90% of the Fab out of fabrication.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also people, lets keep it civil in here. I get on this forum to escape drama not catch up on it. If you feel strongly about stuff that is great but treat each other kindly and have an open mind. No need for personal assaults.

Here are the MOVE bumpers I was talking about. They even have one in their "proto-lab" that is a lightweight tube style bumper for cheap right now. Can't attest to anything but looks legit.
272d7b72ffd386a3ad8d719c34813541.jpg
97b790d76c5ec5e33c1244e45f43d933.jpg
a2f1e0409411abf36d6dc5f346761fb5.jpg
7366409e32cab295c30edaaa6e483f04.jpg

Chili

Explorer
Have you checked out MOVE bumpers? They offer two different front and rear bumpers for the hoes, and a tire carrier. I know it's weld yourself but it takes 90% of the Fab out of fabrication.

I sold mine about 3 years ago, but I would have been ok with that option!

Chili

Explorer
Well someones a little sensitive. You missed the entire point of my post but that seems to go with the whole bolt on crowd. If youre going to be that "extreme" (sorry I tried saying it with a straight face) where you need some of the things youre talking about then you need to forget about direct bolt on mall crawler crap and learn how to fab or adapt the things you need. Look at Dreis truck. I think some of his opinions are delusional but he can at least adapt things to make them work with out having 4wheel parts bolt em on for him.

For example you brought up the lack of bumpers for the sub/tahoe. Sure. What about bumpers for other gmt800 vehicles or gmt400 trucks or hell how about just other fullsize vehicles like fords or dodge? Many of them can be made to fit (quite nicely) with just basic tools like a grinder and welder or in some cases just changing or moving brackets. Hell my old sportage was all home built. I adapted jeep coils springs for the rear and made strut spacers out of DOM and 1/4plate for a 4" lift, and the front winch bumper was an ARB adapted off of an XJ.

Theres no need for full on fab work I mean thats just the very basic kind of stuff and honestly if you cant handle something like that what the hell are you going to do when you break down out in the middle of nowhere and you dont have the exact part to bolt on? I absolutely despise wheelin with full bolt on rigs because I know Im gonna have to fix their crap while they stand there and watch. Theres a reason bolt on people are generally associated with mall crawlers that never leave pavement and just want the look, when their stuff breaks down in the wilderness theres no safe space to run to.

Nah, just bored and long winded.. lol

I looked for months, back then, and the one or two options that I did like, were being made by shops that had some questionable reviews out there. The Ranch Hand bumpers I ended up with were designed for the truck platforms, though even that limited my options for full grill guard since the trucks were using the slanted headlights. There does seem to be a few more options out there now, but when I needed the bumpers, there just wasn't really anyone making the style I wanted. I think it was mainly because there weren't yet many people trying to do this kind of stuff with full size, domestic rigs. That has clearly shifted, especially with the trucks, as I see them all over now.

I am very big on the diy mentality and am working on projects constantly. My house of 14 years was built in 1961, and I have remodeled 80% of the home by myself, and taught myself. I have always done the same with my cars, initially out of financial necessity, but now because I recognize the importance of knowing things are being done right. I very much value turning my own wrenches for just the reasons you mention. That said, I also recognize that I have to limit how much of this stuff I can really take the time to learn, acquire the necessary tools for, and get enough use out that knowledge and equipment to make it worth my efforts. There is only so much time and money, and I have had to become more stingy with how I choose to use both. For example.. Back around December, the oil cooler in my Jeep started leaking (though I did not initially know that's what it was). I was ultimately able to locate the issue, obtain the necessary parts, and fix it myself, in my garage. Since the upper and lower intake had to come off, and I was already bordering on 100k miles, I also replaced plugs, PCV valve and a few other small items I needed to correct. I saved a huge amount of money, and learned a lot of useful info about my vehicle at the same time.

2 months later the transmission went out.. I'm sure I could have handled most of it myself, but that was one I was happy to pay a reputable shop to do.. Although I did still source the replacement transmission myself and had it drop-shipped to them, saving me a decent amount. But I don't have a lift, and had no desire to try and do all of that on my back..

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

I feel like the Move bumpers are just too big for what I want. I agree with the lack of options for the GMT800, I come from a Toyota back ground so what a shock it was....but yes there are some that take LC100 bumpers and convert them to the GMT800.

bigdogyj

Agreed on the limited options and most of them are pricey!
I ended up finding someone that had a set of Trail Ready bumpers for my 2500 that someone bought and never used. So I scored a deal on those. The front seems a little big but it actually has better clearance than the stock one. So I am happy for now.
IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4871.JPG IMG_4875.jpg

They also offer these for CHEAP because they are in pre-production stage

Attachments

• 20190116114838_0307C2500F.jpeg
    20190116114838_0307C2500F.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190116115508_0307C2500G.jpeg
    20190116115508_0307C2500G.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190116120319_0307C2500J.jpeg
    20190116120319_0307C2500J.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 81