Going over to the dark side

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well for years now we have been Overlanding in Suburbans and i always liked the fact that we were in something a little different with the diesel suburban. We have gone through 3 of them. Their good trucks but i think im tired of dealing with reliability issues and just the huge size, plus various other things so im going to get a Toyota. I own a 2010 Toyota carolla S car and its not exciting but its reliable as a hammer, and every Toyota we have owned in the past has been completely reliable.

Im leaning towards going with a 4runner. I have about 10k to spend. What year would you guys reccomend, what would you guys think is one of the best engine/ drive train combos for that kind of price range? im going to go look at one tomorrow that is a 98, looks pretty clean.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
Well for years now we have been Overlanding in Suburbans and i always liked the fact that we were in something a little different with the diesel suburban. We have gone through 3 of them. Their good trucks but i think im tired of dealing with reliability issues and just the huge size, plus various other things so im going to get a Toyota. I own a 2010 Toyota carolla S car and its not exciting but its reliable as a hammer, and every Toyota we have owned in the past has been completely reliable.

Im leaning towards going with a 4runner. I have about 10k to spend. What year would you guys reccomend, what would you guys think is one of the best engine/ drive train combos for that kind of price range? im going to go look at one tomorrow that is a 98, looks pretty clean.

id say a 3rd gen 4runner would be a good choice. although personally id look at spending a little more coin and look at the 100 series LC. they have the v8(more power) and more room, plus much nicer amenities. i have a 3rd gen 4runner and i am constantly finding it too small -wife, two kids and a dog(lab), so space gets really cramped fast. but i can not complain about the 4runner other than that. i have 267K + mi on it it runs strong(3.4l 4x4 auto), and i trust it with not only my life but my families lives. super dependable -sure any vehicle with a 1/4 million + mi on it will have faults and parts that break or wear out, but so far its been a radiator and starter contacts that have let me down, and both of those are minor and never left me stranded anywhere.

here is some reading for the 3rd gens for you to better help you decide what features you would like or want.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html
i personally would want one with the factory rear locker, and possibly a multi mode transfer case, so that means id be looking for a 99-00 limited, but i dont particularly care for the limiteds cadaling along the sides, i think it looks cheep. but the rear locker (imo) is more desirable and could be found in rigs from 96-2000. there was a special edition 4runner in 99 and 00 that was called the highlander, they were SR5s and had color matched bumpers and flares, hood scoop, and they all had lockers (i think). the 99s sat 1" taller than all the other 4runners and was the tallest 4runner produced of the 3rd gens. the 99 highlander 5spd with locking rear diff is considered the holy grail of 3rd gens, and is quite desirable, honestly id take one of these over any other 4runner, even the newer trail editions(i dont care for the looks, and i dont think they are any more capable -definitely not $20k + more capable). you can pick up a nice clean rust free 99 highlander with locker for under $10k and if your lucky you can find one with under 140k mi for around or even under $10, but you might have to wait a little bit and have patience.

Can't go wrong with a taco

good luck finding a DC taco for $10k.... they are in the same price range and probably even more than a good hundy... but yes they are great rigs and hard to go wrong with as you stated

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 3rd-generation is a nice product. My personal pick would be a 1996-2000 with the 2.7L (no timing belt) and 5-speed manual transmission for the low cost of operation and simplicity, but they're more rare than those with the 3.4L in the US (still a great engine, just more complex and has a timing belt).

The auto trannies have had some issues with tranny cooler leaks, causing an engine coolant milkshake. Installing a separate tranny fluid cooler is a popular preventative measure.

I'm still trying to find the actual level of concern on this one, but on some, the lower front ball joints have been letting go. It has fortunately been happening at low speed--I don't think it's caused any injuries. I saw it happen, personally, one time (in a library parking lot). I think the incidence rate is low, however. It might not hurt to put some new ones on though. In certain years, replacements were covered under recall.

The rear locker isn't a big deal to me. The coil-sprung rear suspension has plenty of travel so the trucks are quite capable, even without the locker. If you don't frequent very difficult trails, I wouldn't make the locker a selling point, myself.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
thanks for all the info guys. I havent really looked into the 100 series landcruisers but ill take a look. Im really just wanting to get a vehicle that i can rely on and build and have for a long long time.

Thanks The kid, that was just the kind of specific information about years i was looking for. Is there a year or drive train that i want to avoid?

the kid

Juke Box Hero
thanks for all the info guys. I havent really looked into the 100 series landcruisers but ill take a look. Im really just wanting to get a vehicle that i can rely on and build and have for a long long time.

Thanks The kid, that was just the kind of specific information about years i was looking for. Is there a year or drive train that i want to avoid?

yeah 2wd's lol... no not really i personally wouldnt shy away from the 3.4l, sure it has a timing belt, but so what, do you think the 2.7l 3rz doesnt have some sort of timing system? it has a chain witch means the guides can and will wear out and then you will have chain slap ect. not a bad motor but i think the 3.4 5vze is a better motor, its a noninterference motor, so IF the belt brakes, nothing will happen other than your motor will simply stop running. i have seen guys run these motors over 200k on the original belt. i personally would not change the belt until the water pump starts leaking. i have never seen or heard of a water pump out last a belt, and you have to pull the belt to replace the water pump so yeah. the 3.4l is not a power house, but its adequate, deffinantly more power full than the 2.7 3rz motor. but neither motor is a bad motor.

yeah the radiators have the trans cooler in them(for the auto/slushbox trans) but again that is easily taken care of with either a new radiator and or a stand alone trans cooler(id recommend getting one with a small electric fan so in stop and go traffic or low/slow speed off-roading you dont over heat things -i have a perma-cool 13515 and id recommend it as the trans cooler to go with if your gonna do a single stand alone.

i personally would also avoid the 2001-2002 years just because they start to get really reliant on electrical systems and sensors ect. im old school and like manual trans(although sadly my 4runner is an auto -and all LCs are autos too) and manual shift transfer cases ect. but i do like some of the features of the multi mode, especially for driving on wet roads, and snowy roads, its a little bit more of a forgiving and driver friendly system -basically and AWD system, but standard 4wd systems work just fine -its all preferences. if i could chose what 3rd gen 4runner i wanted, again id take a 1999 SR5 highlander, 5spd, w/rear locking diff.

while my rig does not have the factory rear locker, i had an ARB in mine(untill i blew it up -long story and 100% my fault but ARB took care of me and went out of their way to keep me more than happy), and with a lockable rear i was pretty much limitless(within reason- and sometimes out of reason), even with no lift. i would go places and over things that i was amazed. it makes a night and day difference, and even if you dont need it but once a year, its gonna be more than worth it that one time. -but no i would not make that a deal breaker, if you are getting everything else you wanted with it besides the locker, because again you can either retrofit in a factory Elocker from another 4runner, or you can install a ARB locker( they can be comparable in price).

something to note on rigs that have the lockers, and this is typically more true with limiteds, but for the most part accross the board, the 4runners that came with the locking rear diffs, came with 4:30 gears, and the open diff models had just 4:10s. while not a huge difference, once you go up in tire size to say like a 285 or 305 the 4:30s will be nice, and or with the added weigh of expo gear they will be nicer. again like with the locking rear diff, i would not change from a 4:10 up to a 4:30, no if i was gonna go through all the hassle to regear id go to at least 4:56 or probably 4:88 and do it once and call it done. -all 8" diffs(84-95 possibly earlier, and with 4runners it goes through 4th gen 4runners i believe) will fit into a 4runner houseing(locking diffs are slightly different and require either a modification to the axle housing or an axle housing for a Elocker set up -the Elocker diffs are the same in the tacomas as the 4runner, but the none locking diffs are not.
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

as far as the LBJs go, yeah its an issue, but not if you take care of your truck, so many people just ignore them and or forget about them. a lot of people think that the only part on your vehicle that should wear out and need replacing are tires, breaks, oil and gas... and even some of those get forgotten about... its a wear item, it will fail if never replace, your car will run out of gas if its never replaced, your motor will die if the oil is never changed, you will crash or have a flat if you never change your tires. lower ball joints are no different, they just last longer, so they get forgotten about. toyota recommends replacing them at 120k miles. there are several manufactures of them, and i have seen several of those aftermarket manufactures have issues with their parts, were they will fail or start failing in unheard of time ie too fast, like less than a year -unacceptable in my book. i only use toyota oe parts for stuff like ball joints ect, they have proven that they can last for at least 50k miles and thats good enough for me. i change mine out about once a year, its $160 and some change(my father inlaw is a toyota tech at a dealer so i get parts and discounted rates) so probably like $200 for you idk maybe less. but if you ask me its cheap insurance and preventative maintenance. i wheel my truck a fair amount from recreation to work (work for local sheriffs office doing search and rescue), and with all the extra weight and the lift i have(these units were not designed to be used at the constant different angles and geometry associated with lifts) i just chose to be proactive and not let this become an issue of question or concern for me, call me paranoid ok whateve, but id rather be safe the sorry. -no sense in losing a rig over a lack of maintenance.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/149467-official-lower-ball-joint-write-up-thread.html

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
As a recent convert from a Suburban to a Tacoma, I have to say I'm much happier in my Tacoma.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I can't say enough great stuff about 100s.
We sold ours as we needed a pickup & couldn't bear getting rid of the 80 (or 40).
My father has two of them (250k & 150K), my mother has one (100K), & they are all tremendously reliable solid trucks.
Off road the ATRAC will impress the hell out of you, on road they are rock solid.
Ours with BFG AT 285s was really great.
Our only complaint was the mileage, however it was so comfortable that we averaged 10 mph over which never helps with mileage...
The rear air in the 100 was nice for the dogs on road trips through the desert.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I prefer the older body style toyotas and drive an 01 reg cab taco after owning an 08. Has the 2.7 with the chain and simple 4X4 system but for a spare or non daily driven vehicle, I would buy a 2003 or newer V8 4runner. Has a timing belt yes but it also has a very smooth V8 and the getup and go. Very little MPG difference than a V6 of the same gen and it's in your price range. Does have AWD and not a part time case but that's better for wet roads and snow anyway. Coming from a Full Size, you'll find the older 4runners to be cramped. Not sure if you sat in one yet but they are tiny in comparison to the trucks you are used to. I feel like the 2003 and up is a compromise in the middle. I'm happy in my little truck but not when there are two humans in it ha ha ha. Just too damn small but for 22mpg I'll deal.

Good luck with the search.

-jorge

BurbanAZ

Explorer
4runners are few and far between it seems like in my area but we saw one pop up on craigslist tonight that were going to go look at tomorrow and if its clean well buy it. What do you guys think? Also thanks for all the help.

What do u guys think about the price, and should i worry about that mileage?
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4120297034.html

we went and looked at a few today and drove a nice 03 limited with the v8, and an 01 limited with the 3.4. We liked both alot, obviously the v8 power was nice but i just want as reliable as possible even if i have to give up some power. Plus i think i like the body style of the pre 03 ones better personally. I looked into the 100s too and i like them but there isnt a single one within a few hundred miles of me i dont think.

p nut

butter
4runners are few and far between it seems like in my area but we saw one pop up on craigslist tonight that were going to go look at tomorrow and if its clean well buy it. What do you guys think? Also thanks for all the help.

What do u guys think about the price, and should i worry about that mileage?
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4120297034.html

we went and looked at a few today and drove a nice 03 limited with the v8, and an 01 limited with the 3.4. We liked both alot, obviously the v8 power was nice but i just want as reliable as possible even if i have to give up some power. Plus i think i like the body style of the pre 03 ones better personally. I looked into the 100s too and i like them but there isnt a single one within a few hundred miles of me i dont think.

I would avoid 01-02 4Runners. They are nice vehicles, but the TRAC system is a bit finicky. I had an 02 and felt the TRAC was just too sensitive. There were numerous times where I pulled out onto pavement from gravel or wet roads, and the stupid thing would kick on, killing all power. Meanwhile, I've got traffic barreling towards me. Not fun.

If you have a family, I would look at 4th gen 4Runners or equivalent size. In fact, if you can scrounge up a few more $, this would make an excellent reliable vehicle.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116551-2003-Lexus-GX-470-SLC-UT

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I would avoid 01-02 4Runners. They are nice vehicles, but the TRAC system is a bit finicky. I had an 02 and felt the TRAC was just too sensitive. There were numerous times where I pulled out onto pavement from gravel or wet roads, and the stupid thing would kick on, killing all power. Meanwhile, I've got traffic barreling towards me. Not fun.

If you have a family, I would look at 4th gen 4Runners or equivalent size. In fact, if you can scrounge up a few more $, this would make an excellent reliable vehicle.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116551-2003-Lexus-GX-470-SLC-UT

Actually the trac isn't the problem, it's the vsc (stability control). I've had the same terrifying experience. There's a 20 minute mod to put in a switch to turn both off when desired. I have an 02 limited and love it.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Actually the trac isn't the problem, it's the vsc (stability control). I've had the same terrifying experience. There's a 20 minute mod to put in a switch to turn both off when desired. I have an 02 limited and love it.

Thanks for the info p nut and 98OzarksRunner. Ill have to look up the mod because that kind of symptom would be really dangerous obviously.

The 3.4 is bullet proof, I have over 300,000 on mine. Make sure there is no coolant water in the trany fluid (pink milk shake Google it). Check the lower ball joints and rack bushings. If they haven't been replaced they are likely shot but easy to fix. Ask for any maintenance receipts.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3