Good transmission shop in Denver area?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, looks like the 4L60E in my 2004 Suburban is on its way out. We discovered this coming back from a weekend camping trip to Steamboat Lake in Colorado (GORGEOUS area, BTW ;) )

Stopped in Steamboat Springs for lunch, then headed out on US 40. Climbed the long, grueling climb out of Steamboat up the West side of Rabbit Ears Pass, where the road goes up about 3,000' in 8 or 10 miles, and it was fine. Normally I would manually shift it to 2nd to climb a hill like this but I didn't this time - the trans dropped down to 2nd and stayed there so I just stayed on the throttle and kept me speed steady at 55 - 60. This was with the truck fully loaded (2 adults and a dog), 2 kayaks on the roof and pulling a loaded-down ~2000lb travel trailer. I watched the trans temp and it never got about about 205. Made it to the top of the pass with no drama and continued on to Kremmling, another 45 miles or so.

Then in Kremmling I looked down and noticed the temp had spiked to around 225 - I have never seen the temp that high, even pulling the trailer up an 11,000' pass. At the same time I stopped for a stop light and when I tried to go again, the trans would go into 1st and 2nd OK but when it hit 3rd the engine would rev up to about 3500 rpm with no change in vehicle speed - basically like a slipping clutch. Slowed down enough for the trans to drop into 2nd and it worked OK but as soon as it shifted up into 3rd it would slip again. I checked the fluid - level was a bit low but it didn't smell burnt. Added a bit, but the issue persisted. At this point we still had 110 miles to go and I was under the impression (mistakenly, as it turned out) that my Roadside Assistance through USAA would only cover the Suburban, not the trailer.

I noticed that if I kept the trans in 2nd it seemed to do OK so with a lot of trepidation, I shifted into 2nd and headed down CO 9 towards Silverthorne. After a slow (max speed 45 mph) and harrowing drive (I expected the trans to start slipping in 2nd which would mean we were effectively stuck) we made it home.

Got the trailer unhooked and the truck unloaded but it's still doing the same thing - slipping in 3rd gear.

So, I'm looking for a good, reputable trans shop in the Denver metro area - preferably Southwest (Englewood/Littleton.) We've got a big trip coming up in just 2 weeks and it will be the wife and I and my 79 year old mother, pulling the trailer and driving to Yellowstone National Park (Mom's never been there and we promised to take her.) So I need a good, quality shop, as I don't want to risk any more problems.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

CCH

Adventurer
Try Dean at Computer Car in south Littleton. If he can't help, he'll let you know who can. VERY trustworthy mechanic.

Dave/Owner of High Country Transmission @ 1180 S Chambers Rd, Aurora, CO . He's honest and answers all of your questions. Also a trustworthy mechanic.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a 'typical' 3-4 clutch failure. No codes thrown (for anything else)? As a datum, how many miles and how many under tow recently? Out Tahoe just passed 170k, my Sub is still under 130k, so I'm pretty curious about when to expect trouble.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sounds like a 'typical' 3-4 clutch failure. No codes thrown (for anything else)? As a datum, how many miles and how many under tow recently? Out Tahoe just passed 170k, my Sub is still under 130k, so I'm pretty curious about when to expect trouble.

3-4 clutch makes sense since 1-2 still work. No codes at all. Other than the brief spike to 225 in Kremmling, temps were normal. Even going up to the top of Eisenhower Tunnel the hottest it got was 205 as shown on the SGII.

I bought the truck in December with 136,000 on it, unknown history before that except that it was a 1 owner vehicle that had spent the first 8 years in Wisconsin (which explains the minor body and frame rust.) Since I bought it I've put about 10,000 miles on that, probably at least 7,000 of that was towing. Current mileage is about 148,000.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I believe they do some lighter duty truck stuff as well - they have a HD replacement 4L60E torque converter listed on their site. If they can't build a nice 4L60 in house I'm sure they know who can (locally).

jsexton

Observer
Dave/Owner of High Country Transmission @ 1180 S Chambers Rd, Aurora, CO . He's honest and answers all of your questions. Also a trustworthy mechanic.

+1 for high country.

My brothers Xterra had a tranny issue. Nissan wanted to do a full rebuild. The guys at high country properly diagnosed it as a bad shift solenoid and replaced it. Saved my brother thousands.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Decided to go with High Country since they were closer (they also have a shop at Alameda and I-25.)
Got the bad news this morning: Need a full rebuild at around $2k. Honestly, it's about what I expected. I talked to the guy at the shop today and he said they do rebuild with stronger parts so at the end I should have a reasonably stout transmission that will likely last the next 3 years or so.
What sucks is that I just got all the parts I needed for the lift and my plan was to have that done prior to 9/3 when we take off for Yellowstone. Now with the truck not being done until Friday or Monday, that's out of the question.
Ah, well, when I bought a 12 year old truck with 136,000 miles on it I knew I was taking this kind of a gamble, so I really can't complain. Otherwise the truck has been great, very comfy and a great tow vehicle.

tennesseewj

Observer
Blowing up a factory 4L60E is a blessing and a curse. Obviously it's pricey, but with a few upgraded parts they can really be reliable.

Burb One

Adventurer
Damn, sorry to hear that martin, especially right before a trip!

Looks like you found a place and you have a time crunch, but in my opinion, find the place your local utilities use for their 1500's. There is always a shop/ guy in every part of the country, that solely builds 4l60E/4l80E's all day, everyday for big fleets. Usually they'll be cheaper than your everyday transmission shop, and they, in my experience are usually better. They also will know exactly what parts to upgrade, and what not to. 4l60E's are common enough that most shops see a lot of them, but I have piece of mind that the guy building mine, literally only does these 4l60e's. I had even bought the rebuild kit, (thinking I may want to tackle it myself- have done a simple two speed before). He wouldn't take my rebuild kit (thank god for amazon returns), and told me to go buy these certain pieced together parts, that's the type of knowledge you get from only building these everyday.

Hopefully this next one lasts a long time- definitely do the upgraded parts! I'm looking at doing the 4l80e swap in the next year or so, the 4l60E is defitely a weak point, but at least they never seem to strand you. (I've had two go out- one under warranty at 30k miles, I think the dealer underfilled the fluid, and another more recently at almost 200k, both started at the 3-4 shift).

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Blowing up a factory 4L60E is a blessing and a curse. Obviously it's pricey, but with a few upgraded parts they can really be reliable.
Yeah, that's kind of how I was thinking of it: I figured that the trans was the "weak link" on this vehicle and now that it's gone out I'll get a good quality rebuild and then I'll KNOW I have a good transmission.

rayra

Expedition Leader
y'all are getting me nervous now. Been talking with my astronomy-pal neighbor about my hauling his Fleetwood Evolution E2 pop-up camper trailer on some mountain and desert astronomy trips. 4400-lbs. Might be the death knell. Might make some trans cooling improvements before I do so.

Looks just like this:

watermark.php

Martin, have you been using the Tow/Haul mode switch during this towing, or just manually downshifting on grades?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven