Gotta start somewhere

JeepinJon

Observer
I know that on my JK I am starting to work on more of the expedition style build. The best thing I have done is to armor it, and get a winch and a recovery kit so that I can learn how to drive it stock. After this I have upgraded as I found something that was keeping me from getting where I wanted to, but then you learn what you need for your vehicle. The stock JK is very capable, and probably can get you most of the places you are looking to go.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
Before lifting my TJ, I checked with Chrysler with the very questions you are asking. I ended up with 33x10.5s with 2" spring lift, and a 1" body lift which does not void the factory warrenty on my drive train. Any higher than that ? Well, it gets quite expensive per inch, I'm plenty high, and with lockers fore and aft, can get through, over, or around just about anything the"big - rigs" can get through, over, or around . I have also kept my stock ride for good street manners so we can go on our long range journeys. In short, stick with a mild lift, then concentrate on traction.. Lateron

Right along what I was thinking. I think this is one of the few "off-road" type forums that you wil hear this kind comment! I like it! Not sure about a body lift but I am fairly sure I have settled on a 2 - 2 1/2 lift with 33s. 33 x 10.5 is interesting - any pics with that width would be great to see. I like to talk like it's all about function but I am as vain as the next guy so I still want the rig to look good too! Sounds like a good option.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
You may just want to look for some Rubicon take off tires and wheels and do a BB or a level kit. A 2-3 inch lift kit will net you enough for 35's, than you will have to deal with regearing, etc.. Could also pick up a set of Rubi coils and shocks from a hardtop Unlimited, that will get you a bit more clearance.

I have a 2 door JK, and I have a leveling kit and 285 Goodyear Duratracs. So far so good, does what I want and still drives great on the highway. Definitly look at the Duratracs as a good BFG alternative, I love mine so far, and I'm by no means a Goodyear fan!

I assume a leveling kit is a shorter spacer in the back and a taller one up front? I have the tow package so it sits nose down right now (hate that). That one reason I have resisted buying a bumper and winch as it will make it much worse.

Can you tell me a bit more about the 285 Goodyears? Are these the infamous 285/85-16 size that I see talked about here? I do like the idea of a narrower tire - better gas economy is important. No use doing all this work and not being able to afford gas to go anywhere!

JK-Mg1212

Observer
Oh yea, on other comment on the winch, bumper discussion.
I had another JK, I used the Mopar winch bumper, very nice bumper for the $$ and does the job well. This time around I found a deal on the WARN mounting system that mounts to the factory bumper, this thing is pretty stout, and I actually like how it looks. Can save you a few pennies if you go that route, the Warn M 8000 is also a great winch at a great price.

I'll have to check that out (Warn Mount). If it is not too expensive it might be a way to go. I had something like that on my TJ but it was from Tomken Machine. Very stout winch plate with a small guard in front. The TJ bumper looked OK once you ripped off those horrible plastic bumper ends. The steel part was even cut back on an angle like they assumed everyone would take the plastic off. No such luck on the JK.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
-Storage is a personal thing. I like to pack as much stuff as I can in soft sided bags. You can really get a lot into a small space that way.(I started all this Jeep craziness with a CJ5 I drove to the Rubicon full of food and camping gear for two) Build a simple shelf so you don't have to dig through the whole pile for every single thing. I built one for a WJ with a single piece of 3/4" plywood and some screws that worked quite well. My method is to make it so I can get the most used items out from under it and pile rest on top.

I agree with the shelf; had one in my WJ and now one in my JK, very good investment
BeniFeb09-00.jpg

JK-Mg1212

Observer
I agree with the shelf; had one in my WJ and now one in my JK, very good investment

I like the idea but my dog weighs 75+ pounds and I would be worried about her getting hurt in an accident or hurting us. She loves to ride in the jeep though! I wish the inside shelf/rack would work for us because I like the idea of keeping the weight off the roof and would be more straightforward than a trailer. I do a lot of sea kayaking and backpacking so for me the space we have seems huge but when you have a 2 teenagers, wife, and a big dog . . . well you get the picture.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I like the idea but my dog weighs 75+ pounds and I would be worried about her getting hurt in an accident or hurting us.
:Wow1: My four dogs together don't weigh more than 32 lbs :elkgrin: But Beni on the picture is the smallest. When in motion, they are all in their pet carriers, which I strap down on the shelf. Yup, we need to watch out for the safety of our pooches :sombrero:

AZchris

Adventurer
I make trips around town with my 2 great danes in the back, but put the seats down for longer trips. People love seeing them back there when the top is off.

As for the Jeep, I run a 1.75 front spacer and .75 in the rear, 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains. I like the stance and want to start working on armoring it now.

JK-Mg1212

Observer
Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and I actually took one to heart and bought a M416! Now the fun begins.:wings:

Attachments

• M416 front.jpg
    M416 front.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 13

MOAK

Adventurer
Right along what I was thinking. I think this is one of the few "off-road" type forums that you wil hear this kind comment! I like it! Not sure about a body lift but I am fairly sure I have settled on a 2 - 2 1/2 lift with 33s. 33 x 10.5 is interesting - any pics with that width would be great to see. I like to talk like it's all about function but I am as vain as the next guy so I still want the rig to look good too! Sounds like a good option.

yeah, here's the photo of said tj @ the top left of this post,, kept the stock look and is very capable on black trails at Rausch Creek Off Road Park where I test everything before going on our long range trips,, it is real nice to know, for sure, the capability of our vehicle when we are alone, and out in the middle of the backcountry! Here is the youtube link to see more of my rig, and its capabilities. My friends jeep has 36 x 12.50's, with 6 " of lift.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rubicondon04&aq=f

Last edited:

computeruser

Explorer
OK, it looks like you're just trying to spend money. You've got a great base for exploration already, especially with the trailer, so get out there and use it!

For Michigan exploration and camping, here's my take:

1. Keep up on all preventative maintenance.

2. Tires (stock size or nearly so) + swaybar disconnects + good shocks will solve 99% of the needs for Michigan, save for Off-Road parks and a bit of Drummond Island.

3. A winch can be helpful, but I'd focus on waterproofing first. I've never had to pull myself with my winch in an "exploring" setting, but I have had more than one bow wave that ran up my hood and broke against my windshield.

4. Storage: build, don't buy. We have our TJ set up for week-long self-supported trips (minus gas fill-ups) for two adults, using a homemade shelf system built from OSB, an old bedframe, and a 110v MIG welder running flux core wire. It is solid, rattle-free, and keeps gear secured, organized, and quiet. It was built around our storage containers, and provides a friction-fit to keep things in place, and makes life SO much easier. Installs in >1 minute with four bolts in OEM locations.

5. Upgrade your lighting. Hella e-code headlamps, good driving lights, rear utility lights.

6. If you add a winch, use that as a time to level the front end back out (a spacer should be fine).

7. Consider Air-Lift rear air bags for load management, especially with a trailer. A saggy rear end is not cool, and bottoming out your suspension is not good. They still let you flex just fine, to the extent that it actually matters in MI.

If you've got the time in August, UPOverland2010 still has a few spots open...

Camp_Cropped.jpg

My TJ Setup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk