Grill.. Looking for options

Honu

lost on the mainland
that sucks for sure :)

fatty meats for sure have a flare up issue but seems all small grills do that are gas to some point ? I dont cook huge chunk of meats since they are not that powerful on ours though will have to keep my eye out and check out for the smell ?

good heads up :)

We bought a Magma Trail Mate grill for our last outing and had unsatisfactory results. For very lean meats, the grill worked great, but we had a terrible time with flame up on burgers or fattier cuts like ribeyes, even with the valve turned all the way down. The problem got worse over time, and on the last day of the trip, I began smelling gas with the valve off - so it's likely that the valve wasn't working properly from the start. I suspect that this may be a general issue with the Trail Mates, since Magma now offers an upgraded replacement which they refer to as an extra-low output valve and for which they charge $37.98.

I'm not at all happy with Magma's response to my problem - when I called them to get a replacement regulator, they brushed me off and told me to send the entire grill back to where I bought it (even though I purchased it two months ago and the return window was only two weeks). Uncharacteristically, I wasn't in a mood to argue; and fortunately, the store I bought it from was understanding and will replace it - though I do have to pay shipping for the return - and undoubtably, the replacement unit will still have the older valve, so it's likely that I'll encounter the same problem again and will have to press the issue with Magma anyway.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
In college we used to grill on a "Son of Hibachi" all the time. Folds up small, has a carrying case, and is very easy to light. Maybe too small for a family of 4 or 5, but worked well for 2 or 3 people. I don't recall ever taking it camping, but I'm not sure why. I guess back then we used the campfire or grills available at campgrounds. But it works really well and takes up very little space when folded.
415kMqUPaxL.jpg

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I have had this http://www.campsaver.com/two-burner-stove for close to five years and use it on every trip, but added this http://www.campsaver.com/dual-grill because "Charcoal".

Both products are extremely well made from Japan and are engineered really well. The grill packs away well. I have grilled five rib eyes on it so it is surprisingly capable. The downside is that there is no lid meaning open air cooking only like many hibachis. While this is no quite a replacement for your Weber Q it is something to consider.

dakota123

Adventurer
I have had this http://www.campsaver.com/two-burner-stove for close to five years and use it on every trip, but added this http://www.campsaver.com/dual-grill because "Charcoal".

Both products are extremely well made from Japan and are engineered really well. The grill packs away well. I have grilled five rib eyes on it so it is surprisingly capable. The downside is that there is no lid meaning open air cooking only like many hibachis. While this is no quite a replacement for your Weber Q it is something to consider.

I really like this stove! to bad its out of my price range :(

spikemd

Explorer
I picked up the Cadac safari Grill due to its versatility and compactness. It fits in my REI Pack N Prep along with all my kitchen supplies and a few bottles of propane. Only downside is a single burner but I throw in a backpacking stove if I need another burner. So far, it works great and really helped me consolidate gear. Wish I had room for a Weber Q as it is the best portable grill on the market.

2016-01-08 08.39.13.jpg

I picked up the Cadac safari Grill due to its versatility and compactness. It fits in my REI Pack N Prep along with all my kitchen supplies and a few bottles of propane. Only downside is a single burner but I throw in a backpacking stove if I need another burner. So far, it works great and really helped me consolidate gear. Wish I had room for a Weber Q as it is the best portable grill on the market.

View attachment 323764

I've been thinking about trying one of these but have been reluctant because I currently use a 10000BTU single burner and saw these were only rated at 7500BTU. How do you like it? Do you think it cooks "slow" like some of the reviews I've read?

ikk

Adventurer
+1 for the volcano grill, love this thing. I can even use it at home on top of me patio table to make s'mores.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d=1452608838&ref_=sr_1_1&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

I haven't used one myself, but I hear great things about cooking with infrared heat.

81Zqug8sPnL._SL1500_.jpg

Char-Broil TRU Infrared Grill2Go X200 Grill
by Char-Broil
4.2 out of 5 stars 384 customer reviews | 71 answered questions
List Price: $179.99
Price: $109.87 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $70.12 (39%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Road worthy and built to travel easy
Cast aluminum firebox and lid with dual stainless steel latches and temp gauge
High-impact frame with legs and carry handles
No flare-up TRU-Infrared cooking system
200 sq. in. stainless steel grilling grate

dms1

Explorer
I also use an ECO QUE, I have the 15" model , I have only had it since May 2015 and have used it on 6 camping trips so far and it looks like it will last a long time. I bought mine at Amazon.com

71nMLabs3oL._SL1500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach