Grill.. Looking for options

rlynch356

Defyota
blast from the past - i remember using the NOLS pan (Fry-bake) - we just called them "The Pan" during a Nols trip i was helping on many, many moons ago.
thanks

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Another satisfied Weber Go Anywhere Charcoal fan. I put together this rig for camping, including the cast iron grates:

wga1_zps4ff5fa0d.jpg

wga3_zps448ef1b5.jpg

This thing travels really well. Seals up tight with the lid on and vents closed. Easily packable rectangular form. Based on my fifty years of experience with various Weber charcoal grills, I expect this one to last for a very long time.

Looks great - where did you get the cast iron grates?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Wrong Forum, but Great Thread

We travel with a Weber portable charcoal grill, but were struck by the number of places in the West where you cannot use charcoal, so we are looking at small propane grills. Some questions:

-- Can you retrofit the "flavorizer" plate (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Anywhere-Grill-WAG-flavorizer-heat-plate-after-market-18-ga-ss-/131092399587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e85b745e3) into the new model Weber propane grill? (They have gone to a simpler design that simply has a cooking surface.)

-- Anyone have real world experience with either the Solaire portable infrared grills (http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html) or the Magma portable grill? (http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...eque_2/Adventurer_Series/A10-603/a10-603.html)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I called Partner Steel today to see if the knew of any grills in the market that had similar build quality as their stoves. They said they knew of nothing. I explained the need for a strong portable design like their stoves and was told the idea was tossed around untill they got to the regulator and burner. Will you guys call as well? Maybe if he gets some calls he will continue forward and we can finally get a grill that we can toss in the truck and wash in the creek like his stoves. Please call or email him.
http://partnersteel.com/index.htm

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Everything I've seen from Magma has been top-shelf, 'Strat.
There's a cheap Chinese knockoff of that grill at Costco frequently...

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Everything I've seen from Magma has been top-shelf, 'Strat.
There's a cheap Chinese knockoff of that grill at Costco frequently...

That, plus the fact that Magna makes adapters for European Camping Gaz bottles may be enough to tip the balance. Many thanks. (It's hard, but we avoid Chinese products when we can.)

perkj

Explorer
We travel with a Weber portable charcoal grill, but were struck by the number of places in the West where you cannot use charcoal, so we are looking at small propane grills. Some questions:

-- Can you retrofit the "flavorizer" plate (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Anywhere-Grill-WAG-flavorizer-heat-plate-after-market-18-ga-ss-/131092399587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e85b745e3) into the new model Weber propane grill? (They have gone to a simpler design that simply has a cooking surface.)

Yes you can. However don't buy the Weber porcelain steel flavorizer plate, rather go with one of the stainless steel ones from this link...they are awesome and will last forever unlike the Weber part which rusts out in a couple years:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Anywhere-Grill-WAG-flavorizer-heat-plate-after-market-18-ga-ss-/131092399587

image.jpg

I have a weber replacement grill grate, just prop it up on some rocks and use charcoal. Store my charcoal in an ammo can. Need to come up with a way to mount the grill grate on my spare.

Sure fire restrictions are an issue, we just switch to frying. Actually, a little less meat is better on longer trips. No fridge, no big propane bottle for me.

dumolebob

Observer
I have an old Pyromid stove which I loved for years until they went out of business and I needed parts. Écoque is now making one which looks exactly like the Pyromid. Anyone else have experience with these kind of stoves? It has a grate that held the charcoal on end and put out an amazing amount of heat using only a few briquets.I have an old Pyromid stove, which I enjoyed using for years until I need parts and they went out of business. Écoque is now making one which looks I believe is the old Pyromid. Anyone else have experience with these stoves? It has a grate that held the charcoal on end putting out an amazing amount of heat using only a few briquets. Or lay the briquettes flat for med heat. They come with a hood for baking and getting out of the wind. Use foil liners so clean up was easy too. I am excited about getting my old stove back in service!

http://www.ecoque.com/portable-grills

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
After reading all of this thread, my solution to the conundrum would be a Volcano Grill and a Mojoe Griddle ( www.mojoegriddle.com ). This set-up will take a minimum of space and allow for many different cooking styles - Grilling, griddling, pots, pans and multiple fuel sources. Plus you can use the Mojoe Griddle in your backyard when you are not camping.

But then again, I have certain biases! ;)

Cam

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
Another ECOQUE user here. This is the 15" model it folds crazy flat less than 2" and also comes with a hood that covers the top not being used in the pic.. They are not cheap but every once in awhile you can find them on fleabay for a real bargain I paid less than $50.00 for this one new.

jeepovich

Explorer
looking at this thread is making me hungry!!!
I went with Weber gas go-anywhere grill. I have very limited storage space and for the size of it, it is perfect for my needs. It fits perfectly in the rear basket, right between the little red propane camp fire (red round thing) and propane tank (it is fiberglass and wrapped in canvas for UV and rock protection). I don't have a pic with it but here is a pic of the basket:
attachment.php

I live in Southern California and most of the time we have fire restrictions. Propane allows me to have small campfire, BBQ any time of the year.
perkj , thanks for the links to the SS flavor plate and cast iron grates.

OCD Overland

Explorer
We bought a Magma Trail Mate grill for our last outing and had unsatisfactory results. For very lean meats, the grill worked great, but we had a terrible time with flame up on burgers or fattier cuts like ribeyes, even with the valve turned all the way down. The problem got worse over time, and on the last day of the trip, I began smelling gas with the valve off - so it's likely that the valve wasn't working properly from the start. I suspect that this may be a general issue with the Trail Mates, since Magma now offers an upgraded replacement which they refer to as an extra-low output valve and for which they charge $37.98.

I'm not at all happy with Magma's response to my problem - when I called them to get a replacement regulator, they brushed me off and told me to send the entire grill back to where I bought it (even though I purchased it two months ago and the return window was only two weeks). Uncharacteristically, I wasn't in a mood to argue; and fortunately, the store I bought it from was understanding and will replace it - though I do have to pay shipping for the return - and undoubtably, the replacement unit will still have the older valve, so it's likely that I'll encounter the same problem again and will have to press the issue with Magma anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater