Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's an update on the direction I'm going with the trailer...what starts out as a frame from a late 50s/early 60s M101...

100_3467.jpg

Will become something like this rough sketch....

markstrailerwithjeep22.png

Missing is the fenders and the texturing of the main box is wrong as it will be made to approximate the sides of a log home, though I'll use upright log rounds with quarter cuts along their length for the corners instead of notching and passing the logs in the photo below.

100_1590.jpg

Its a rough rendering but my sister Elizabeth passed on just enough of her Setchup8 knowledge to get me started. I'll tweak it more as I try to emulate her mad skillz. See, I used a "z" there' cause she's all Sketchup8 Xtreme.

There will be a slide out in the main box that will serve as a kitchen counter. The brown box in front of the main unit will be a removable water tank box so as it will fit into Fafhrd when we are running sans trailer. The front aluminum tongue box will house shower unit and camp items that are used more frequently.

I hate towing trailers (I do it all the time but I hate to tow when I travel), but this will allow us some flexibility as to be able to cater our set-up to the trip. Trips like the ARSES' floats where the camp site is permanent, we can set the Maggie on the trailer, unhook from it and we'll not have to mess around putting the RTT up and down every time we need to run the truck. It will also let us have the tent sitting on a trailer it will all be ready to go at a moments notice some summer weekend without us having to be bothered setting the tent on and off a working truck. But when we want to be free roaming the Maggie will get mounted to the truck and we don't have to be bothered with a clingy trailer.

I'm going to leave the orginial axles and wheels on for now as my plan calls for building this thing for under $500 bucks. If we decide it works for us then I'll invest in a custom axle and probably match the wheel pattern to the 6 x 5.5 Toyota one. That way I can tow with either Fafhrd or my wifes 4Runner and the Jeep will be the odd man out.

Of course this is coming from the unstable mind of me, so the whole concept could change on a whim or get pushed over a hill, doused in tar and set ablaze in a fit of frustrated angst.

keezer37

Explorer
it will be made to approximate the sides of a log home
as my plan calls for building this thing for under $500 bucks.
Of course this is coming from the unstable mind of me

This oughta be interesting. Were it anybody else, I would doubt this would ever come to fruition.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

12husky

Adventurer
Sounds like a solid plan. Is this a winter time project while it is too nasty to work on actual log homes?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Mark, I've read through this entire thread and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in your sense of priorities.

Where the heck is the rear window rack for the claymore?

Well its been awhile but I've got the solution for that claymore hanger. Well not my war sword, its quillions are just to long, but my basket hilt backsword anyways, and it solves the problem of having my trusty old truck gun inacessible behind the rear seat....

DSC00035.jpg

Santa comes through again! Now I'll be ready for bunnies, squirrels, geeses and orcs.

CLynn85

Explorer
Mark, I love the trailer concept! The Log-Cabin sides will be SWEET! Can't wait to see more.

Tell me about those pouches you got there, who makes them?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Mark, I love the trailer concept! The Log-Cabin sides will be SWEET! Can't wait to see more.

Tell me about those pouches you got there, who makes them?

They're a three gun, padded gun holder made by Classic Accessories and come in camo or black. My dear sweet momma got 'em from Cabelas. Installed and with the doors closed you can't even tell that the case is in there as its darn near impossible to see through the windows with the factory window tint. I can think of all kind of storage uses for it besides carting guns around when it comes time for a road trip.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
"Faph-hurd" or whatever rolls off your tonque in an easy way. Hell I can hardly pronounce these here American-English words without putting a PA ridgerunner spin on speaking 'em. Therefore I don't get to hung up on phonics. :elkgrin:

12husky

Adventurer
How has your group 31 battery been treating you? The one in the 4Runner is on its last leg and it looks like I can squeeze a big one in there.

dreamtrekker

This thread is amazing!! I am new on here, I have a stock 05 limited DC and I was impressed with the very first lift. At page 10 I think the pool of drool finally soaked through my shirt :drool: This is so inspiring!! I was really relating to you because I had an 06 Ram Diesel with bells and whistles that I parted with and didn't think I could be happy again until I found my 05 DC. The wife saw a few pics and quickly made the statement that her getting the much desired Sequoia (same body style) comes before any big changes to the Tundra. Thank you for entertaining me for the last few hours!! I will definately be following this thread as my wife moves the kiddos college fund to a secure location. Excellent build and you are very talented!!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
How has your group 31 battery been treating you? The one in the 4Runner is on its last leg and it looks like I can squeeze a big one in there.

Some how I missed your post Matt. That Diehard is chugging out electrons just fine...I'm pretty darn happy with it. As a matter of fact I just bought a new Diehard Platinum for the Jeep as the battery for that went suicidal.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thank you for entertaining me for the last few hours!! I will definately be following this thread as my wife moves the kiddos college fund to a secure location. Excellent build and you are very talented!!

Well shucks...thanks for taking the time to read this rambling goofball antics off a thread. Good luck with your Tundrabird, I hope it takes you out to many adventures. Just be sure to share your epic wanderings with us.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
And the sun sets...exit stage left...

After four years of shenanigans, tom foolery and an occasional glimmer of useful information this thread comes to a close. Not to worry, the epic saga that follows in Fafhrd the Tundra wake will continue, but in more distant lands than the Portal. As far as mods and such there's not much more I want to do to the old boy, though that may change with time. But we will still continue to wander about the landscape at the helm of this humble Tundra seeking adventure, fun and merriment where ever his tires may tread. if your interested the any future mods to Fafhrd can be found here. Fafhrd's future adventures, mishaps and shenanigans can be found here in his travel diary The (mis)Adventures of Fafhrd which is separate from the mod thread.

I'd like to thank you all for sharing the fun and your good advice. I hope that all those folks who asked questions or PMed me over the years got something useful out of this and I hope it inspired you to not only tinker with your truck but got you out in the woods with it. And while I'll not be adding any new content here on the ExPo I'll still be hanging out from time to time so I'll see you guys about. I had always wanted to do a Tundrabird get together some day...maybe it will happen yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues