happened across a 96 discovery today - is this suspension stock?

antiacus

Observer
Happened to be driving thru an aly and found a LR mechanic with a few vehicles parked outside. I'm in the market so i went in to ask if they could do an inspection on any would-be purchases i make. They were happy to oblige, seemed like good solid people, and happened to mention they took in a 96 on trade and produced a huge binder of maintenance and repair records going back to when the car was first purchased by the original owner in 96. I didn't get a chance to get too far into it, but did manage a 5 minute test drive.

Anyway, i snapped a few pictures. Am i wrong in thinking the 96 came with air suspension? Also, does this vehicle appear to have been lifted?

IMG_20140106_105459.jpg

IMG_20140106_105441.jpg

I wasn't really in the market for a disco but it's got a few things going for it. The engine feels really strong, i was surprised given what i've heard about the 4 liter. It's a 5 speed. I hate auto's as a rule. There are a few good ones, but most drive me crazy. It has impeccable records. I can get it for i think 1,200 or 1,300 (his initial number was 1,800, so i'm thinking that's where we would settle).

Needs: head liner, front elec windows sorted, clutch pedal works fine but has super short travel, starter motor (makes a crunchy noise), tires, at some point a TDI engine :) :)

Also, the vehicle was damp inside from the sunroof(s). He offered to sell as is, or completely sort the truck then sell it, or anywhere in between i wanted...

What do you guys think? Investigate further or run away. What i want is a trail rig for gold panning, fishing, backpacking, general bushcrafting etc. I was thinking of an 06+ lr3 or rr but i could build this exactly how i want and still spend less i'm thinking. Really wish i had more time to look at those records...

Also, i drove an 07 auto and i liked the 96 a bit more, go figure. I'm 6'5" 240 and i fit way better in the 96 and it seemed to be a little more lively in the handling department, although both are quite different than anything i've ever driven. Much more nimble, lighter, better seating position and less "truck" than the 80 or 100 series cruisers i've driven.

brushogger

Explorer
It looks like the rust worms haven't gotten to the underside from what I can tell in the pics. If the records show the head gasket has been done I'd buy it. Doing a headliner isn't that big of a deal. I'd seal the sunroofs off with silicone and forget about them. The clutch issue is probably the master or slave cylinder. If you can fix that, and have $1500 in it that would be a deal. Be sure to go to discoweb.org. That's your best source for advice and parts. There are some great sources for used parts there too. It does look to have a lift and aftermarket flares. I can't tell if those things below the doors are sliders or not. BTW, D1's rock. Especially with a manual transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickburt

Observer
Disco 2 and later TD5s came with air (rear) suspension. Common faults include compressor failures (compressor it'self, or solenoid valves) and the obvous air leaks. Compressor mounted in a really daft place for a 4x4 that might get into some mud and water (under the floor, RHD passenger side - not sure on LHD).

Quite common for them to have coil conversions - available in a variety of lifts, most commonly 2" - at least that's so here in the UK.

sedat

Adventurer
Thats a Disco one, SE7. No air suspension crap. headliner is easy, drop it, bedliner it, put it back in, Enjoy. Blow out the sunroof drains while you're in there, lube the tracks and seals. I can take a pressure washer to my sunroofs and not have em leak. I use em every day. ;)

probably needs window switches for the front windows, or reflow the traces on the window lift ecu behind the glovebox.

the 5 speed is a blast to drive, and yields better mpg than the slushpumps. first thing with it, service it with redline synthetic MTL. don't use atf or gear oil.

Throw a thousand at him. he'll probably take it. You might be a little too tall for legroom though. drive it and see. if so, flip the seat track around.

antiacus

Observer
The brush guard has the discovery logo on it. I'm assuming it's factory and won't take a winch?

I'm going to head back tomorrow before work to look at a few more things.

I know to check coolant system/expansion tank. I would be surprised to find cam wear/lifter issues based on my brief test drive. Maybe it's the 5 speed but i was shocked a 180hp engine could move that truck so well. Who knows, maybe it was swapped for a 4.6?

Ray_G

Explorer
The brush guard has the discovery logo on it. I'm assuming it's factory and won't take a winch?

I'm going to head back tomorrow before work to look at a few more things.

I know to check coolant system/expansion tank. I would be surprised to find cam wear/lifter issues based on my brief test drive. Maybe it's the 5 speed but i was shocked a 180hp engine could move that truck so well. Who knows, maybe it was swapped for a 4.6?

Yep, no winch in that configuration. If you need a winch bumper after buying check out dweb's classifieds-several good options there of late.

Likely the 5 speed giving you more control over power than a 4.6 swap, though I guess hope springs eternal.
R-
Ray

ttravis5446

Adventurer
That is a cool find. I loved my '96 disco while I had it. I kicked myself after I sold it for a good while. I looked for a d1 5speed for a long time after that but they seem to be pretty rare.

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks Ray.

BTW just finished reading your build thread.

I'm inspired!

Good stuff, let me know how I can help. I've always found it interesting how many of the relatively rare 5 speed D1s show up here on ExpO. Must be this populations predisposition towards them.
If you get it, start a build thread! If you want some startup advice on spares and the like hit my email (ray.gerber(at)gmail.com)...always better to learn through someone elses pain than your own!
r-
Ray

Exploder
As mentioned before, show up with ten $100 bills and see if he'll bite. Check under the front and cargo carpets for rust.

Then, be prepared to spend a few grand getting it sorted. I'd immediately change all of the fluids, replace the thermostat and coolant hoses, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter, and put some 235/85R16 tires on it. Chasing the window gremlins might be a pain; maybe not.

Review Scott Brady's D1 thread. You'll find a lot of useful information regarding maintenance and spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl