Happy b'day to me :-)

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Well folks, yesterday was my birthday and four great things happened:
1. I met a great new friend named Andy.
2. I became the proud owner (once I pick it up and pay the man) of my first Land Rover - the 1997 Discovery listed here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-rack-ARB-winch-skid-plate-Hella-s-limb-riser

3. My wife not only agreed, she REALLY liked the vehicle (yes, yes, you are correct, I am a lucky man... which is why for her birthday (today) she is spending the day at the Pinehurst Resort Spa;))
4. I made it to 44 in a realtively healthy manner.

Background: I have been a Jeep guy my whole life, since my older brother brought home his 19something or other Jeep Commando, lifted, half cab.... since then I have been the wagoneer, scrambler, cherokee, TJ Rubicon and TJ sport route. I did all the modification work on those projects myself, and while no mechanic, if I can find a decent write up I can learn and do myself for most things anyway. Got the most out of the Rubicon as my 16 year old and I traveled up and down the east coast, adopting the adventure based lifetsyle, working our way through the best trails we could find. Our favorite was Tellico (RIP)

Now with a new, unexpected, almost 2 year old in the house, we picked up a used pop up camper, which the Jeep pulled ok, but made mee feel a bit uneasy, not too bad, but at this point in time we have a differnt kind of adventure in mind. So we began looking, considered trading my TJ to my older son for his cherokee and eventually found my way to the Land Rover Discovery 1. A family oriented vehicle (room, comfort, but still a truck...) Then, as if it was supposed to be, I spotted Andy's For Sale thread, with him just about 1 hour from home, seemed like we had to look. Truck turned out to be great, well taken care of and Andy turned out to be a guy of similar interests, solid character and remarkably open and honest about the vehicle's history and condition.

SO - here we go. I am feeling as though I have betrayed some of my Jeep heritage :( but cannot get over the desire to at least give the Rover a shot. Our plan is to finalize some of the basic modifications I deem needed as I begin to understand the vehicle, and then use the truck for our family adventures, camping, trail riding in the LR, Mountain biking, canoeing, trail runs and hiking. I will be looking hard at skid plating and functional mechanical improvements as needed. Not building a rock crawler, but a solid dependable, off the road capable vehicle.

I will also be driving the LR on a regular basis and using it around our 45 acres for general duty such as dragging logs, winching timber as I cut and toting my utility trailer.

We pick it up tomorrow. I am really excited about learning a new (to me) vehicle and planning our own version of adventure.

Thanks Andy and thanks EX. Portal for help in finding it.

John

Last edited:
Can't help you with your feelings of betrayal for your jeep heritage but think you will quickly get over them- I did.
Welcome to rover ownership !

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the addiction, I mean family. You got a very clean truck that has been nicely sorted. Where in NC are you located? We head down to Pinehurst now and then(gf's grandfather was a charter founder). We're in Raleigh, big Rover following around here with lots of great shops if you lean towards taking it to an independent. Rovertym is no longer located in the triangle, but still in NC.

CROC, Old North State are two good Rover clubs within NC, feel free to hit me up anytime as well.

Most importantly - Happy Birthday!

-Sam

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
That is a nicely appointed truck. Pay attention to details on the truck. Parts are easy to source. Get used to the quirks.(sometimes the windows go up and down, sometimes they don't — sometimes the sunroofs leak, sometimes they don't— sometimes the fuel pumps work, sometimes they don't, ... you get the idea), but you'll so love the truck, that those things just become bothersome issues, and you'll know how to quickly sort them.
They simply do not build a truck like the DI anymore!
D

PS: Happy Birthday!

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Happy Birthday and welcome to the NC posse!

Please make your calendar to join us ( Old North State Rover Society) at Uwharrie this October 21-23rd for the annual fall get together. All levels of trail riding are welcome and you will not be pressured to do more or less than you are comfortable with. There are several families that come so don't feel it's a guy only thing (but if you need a break....:ylsmoke:)

Please fee free to PM me if you ever need any help or have any questions, I'm not promising a solution but I'll do my best to help. If your on Facebook search for Old North State-that is our community site now. Great looking Disco!

overlander

Expedition Leader
welcome! Maybe I'll see you at Uwharrie Safari sometime. I grew up jeep with a CJ7 at 16 (just turned 44 as well this year), and then switched to a 95' DI in the 90's and haven't looked back.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the welcome guys. I live between Carthage and Robbins... and work down in Pinehurst... so about 1 hour south of Raleigh and about 30 mins from Uwharrie:D

I will check into those dates and count on me to contact you guys for help!

Honestly I can deal with quirks (remember.... Jeep guy) and I really look forward to learning the new vehicle. Andy has it set up so nice that I do not forsee a lot of futher mods. With my jeeps I was a fan of mild builds, lockers and skids, skids, skids... so with a winch I could drag over what I could not wheel.

To put my wheeling expectations in perspective, at Uwharrie I expect to be able to get around the whole trail system but use the more reasonable routes on Daniel and at Kodak Rock.

Thanks again for the welcome, look forward to riding together.

John

jgdisco2

Adventurer
What a birthday! Congrats on the new ride and I'll say again welcome to the nc club..i get to pinehurst on occasion to hit the links so I know your area well:sombrero:

biskit

Adventurer
Well kitted out Disco, John,looks a bonny motor from the pic's, hope swmbo had a good day at the spa.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks guys! Brought the truck home today with no issues and enjoyed the way it handled. We are looking forward to future adventures.

Couple questions:

Is it normal for the engine fan to stay on after the ingnition is turned off?

For the Cruise control, I turned the unit on with the dash button, but no matter which way I pushed the buttons mounted to the wheel could not get it to engage? Feeling stupid cause I must be doing something wrong.

Does it have to have premium fuel?

All in all, for these to be the only questions I have after driving a 14 year old truck for 1.5 hours through twisty, hilly roads... I guess I am OK with that :)

John

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Greetings, and another Welcome Aboard- both to Rovers and the local community!!
The fuel question is a constant one, but I feel it is worth the cost. Some guys will run every other tank prem/mid grade, but I think it best to follow the manufacturer's recommended premium for longevity, performance, and mileage. The cruise is one of the items Dendy mentioned above- sometimes yes, mostly no. Due to age it is most likely vacuum lines and an easy fix- as are most quirks on these things. Engine fan sounds like someone added a thermo regulated cutoff. Is it overheating? Might want to ask PO. Anyway, welcome, and call any time you have questions or want to meet up at Uwharrie- and stop by anytime you are over this way. Cheers!!

jgdisco2

Adventurer
Greetings, and another Welcome Aboard- both to Rovers and the local community!!
The fuel question is a constant one, but I feel it is worth the cost. Some guys will run every other tank prem/mid grade, but I think it best to follow the manufacturer's recommended premium for longevity, performance, and mileage. The cruise is one of the items Dendy mentioned above- sometimes yes, mostly no. Due to age it is most likely vacuum lines and an easy fix- as are most quirks on these things. Engine fan sounds like someone added a thermo regulated cutoff. Is it overheating? Might want to ask PO. Anyway, welcome, and call any time you have questions or want to meet up at Uwharrie- and stop by anytime you are over this way. Cheers!!

We should make a little day run before URE Dale!

MaDMaX915

Observer
Good to see another NC rover owner, like yourself i am a converted jeep owner. I live in vass not far from you and try to visit URE as much as possible feel free to send me a PM if you would like to go sometime.

LtFuzz

Explorer
For the Cruise control, I turned the unit on with the dash button, but no matter which way I pushed the buttons mounted to the wheel could not get it to engage? Feeling stupid cause I must be doing something wrong.

After 3 D1s, my 2004 is the only Disco I've had with a working cruise control. Like Dale said, it's the vacuum lines and very easy to do. Go to a parts store and pick up a vacuum line rebuild kit -- they're cheap and easy to fix. Usually it's just the little rubber booties getting old and having holes in them.

Does it have to have premium fuel?

In my '96 (4.0L) I ran regular gas and never had an issue over 40,000 miles. In my '04 I run premium 100% of the time, mostly because it's so much shinier. The couple bucks here and there is worth the peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77