Happy b'day to me :-)

Wander

Expedition Leader
There was a thread on here a little while ago in which the person crunched the numbers on cost savings of regular vs premium, the difference was pretty small when you factored the lower MPG you'll get with regular. The X factor of it was what the cost of any damage you might do by running regular, in the end the savings where not there to make the risk.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just an update. I really appreciate all the well wishes and advice. The rover is now registered and I have been driving it for 2 whole days!
First impressions -

Love the way it drives on the road. Handling much better than I expected, smooth power delivery. Great ac (remember Jeep guy)
PO put on a flowmaster muffler - I'll be looking to replace that for some more quiet, I believe.
I have land to putt around on here and so far I am impressed at the off road ability. It is not like the jeep at all, but learning the new vehicle and the techniques to get the most out of it are part of what I am after.

If you remember, the PO(s) got a nice start on mods, including the roof rack, ladder, rear step, an abundance of lights, ARB bumper, Mile Marker winch, upgraded tie rod and drag link (although I cannot find documentation on brand, etc...), OME 2.5" lift, Black steel LR wheels all around and skinny 32" tires (cannot remember the proper designation at the moment).

I have been researching the D1, along with my previous wheeling experience, I have come up with some preliminary ideas on possible further mods. Thought I would run it by you. Some of this depends on selling the Jeep, which I think should be no problem.

ARMOR - Rocker Guards, diff skids including pinion protection, gas tank skid. I am investigating skids that protect part of the midsection and am open to suggestion.
LOCKERS - Pretty sure I will start out with a Detroit in the rear. I think the detroit is simpler and looking at a detroit write up, I think I can do that install myself. I have had ARB's and Jeep Rubicon Air Lockers and while nice the detroit is durable, inexpensive and simple.
AXLE SHAFTS - Looking for input on what is needed vs. what is nice to have if I do not go any further with lifts and larger tires.
GEARING - I'll have to pull the pop up camper with it first before deciding whether I will regear. Any input on regearing would be appreciated.

You know that's it really, unless there are other things I need to consider that I have not, like driveshafts, etc. I have PM'd with Dale from Roverbarn. He is not too far from me, so at some point I am going to go down there and beg for help and a once over the D1.

Two other projects will be to get the pop up up a bit, hopefully on a matching set of rims and tires as the rover and I am considering a axle swap from my TJ (ARB dana 30 front and ARB Dana 44 rear) into my son's Cherokee. Would make for a less interesting TJ for sale, but would make the boy happy :)

That is all. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to meeting you guys on the trail and am up for a run to Uwharrie any time. I live close enough to make it a last minute.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77