Hard-shell Tent to extend 8 inches past the F150 tailgate - is it ok?

mikehohman

I want to install a hardshell, clamshell tent on low bars sitting on top of my shortbed F150 bed. The tent will extend 8 inches past the tailgate.

Is this legit? Not sure about safety rules, highway rules, etc. I think it will be fine, can easily still open the tailgate and access the bed.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
By no means an expert, but I would think the rear bumper edge is more the issue than the tailgate? And x2 on the bars. I get the lower mount improves mpg and reduces height off road, but renders the bed pretty much wasted IMHO…

mikehohman

Thanks for helpful responses. I already have the bars, so hoping to avoid new ones. Here is a photo. With the rent, will still have access to the bed. Mostly i worry about hitting my head, and being pulled over on the highway for the 8-inch overhang. Here's a pic of the bars.

PXL_20210911_160759716.MP.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Most states (if not all) have vehicle codes that would clearly tell you how far off the back of your rig you can have gear hanging out, without have to have red warning flagging attached or additional red running lights mounted.

In any event, 8” is probably considered de minimus.

FAW3

Adventurer
Research your state code. This particular code section may not be the absolute final determining factor.

Texas Transportation Code 621.206

A vehicle or combination of vehicles may not carry a load that extends more than three feet beyond its front or, except as permitted by other law, more than four feet beyond its rear.

I think you will be good to go...mount a set of Longhorns on the front for balance and ride on!

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Another idea ..... we never liked having the tents on the bed as it made it a hassle to get at anything. Years ago, Thule made a special tower that was designed to fit into the stake holes in the top of the bed. They were very light alloy and were intended as a ladder rack but made a great mount for a roof tent. The added benefit was they were height adjustable. If you wanted the tent high, you could move it up and forward so it wouldn't hang over the back. If you wanted it low, you could slide the tent back and lower the bars for clearance or better aerodynamics. You could still get into the bed but access wasn't as good.

Medium%20Columbus%20on%20Tacoma%20-%20frt%20Qrtr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk