Has anyone used a fumoto drain valve

texas taco

Adventurer
Has any one used a fumoto drain valve on your oil pan. I am thinking about getting one. I am sceptical of a valve hanging below the oil pan on my 03 double cab tacoma. What your take on this?

7wt

Expedition Leader
I have had one on my truck for over 30K without any problems. I have the nippled version and it really doesn't hang down that much. It isn't close to the skid plate so I stopped thinking about it. I like the clean, no tool oil change as well as the ability to sample the oil quality anytime I feel like it. From here on out, every vehicle I own will have one.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Yep. Just put one on my 86.

When I found a core motor to build for my truck it came out of a 2wd so it had a 18mm drain instead of the 12mm the majority of the IFS 4wd's got. That extra 6mm really makes it drain fast and It points right at my front diff. Its a shower when you pull the plug.

I had to notch a rib a little in the diff housing to clear th nipple but well worth it.

To keep from getting a shower when I installed it I took my shop vac and stuck it to the crank case vent (not the PCV the one from the fresh air side so it pulls the PCV closed). I managed to pull enough vacuum that I swapped the plug without a drop coming out and then did the oil change with the Fumoto. That is the cleanest oil change I have ever done on that truck. Very pleased with the product. I almost look forward to the next oil change since I know it will be so easy with so little mess.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
offroad_nomad said:
How much time does it take for the oil to drain with the fumoto drain valve?
What size drain plug does your truck have? Mine was a 18mm so I am probably about 12MM so over my last engine its a wash. 12mm plug I would expect some extra time. That would be offset by the fact you have less clean up time. If you keep a 5quart oil jug you can drain right into it if you get the version with the nipple.

7wt

Expedition Leader
offroad_nomad said:
How much time does it take for the oil to drain with the fumoto drain valve?
I never timed it but it does take a little longer. No worries, it gives me time to drink a root beer and get the rest of my stuff ready. The benifits out weigh the longer drain times.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
X2 on the other comments. Where mine is located it is maybe 5" ahead of the crossmember and I have a 5/16" steel skid plate so I don't worry about damage. I drilled a small hole in the plate and attached a hose to the Fumoto nipple, then trimmed the hose flush with the skid plate.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Thanks.

I've got two skid plates from BudBuilt, the front one even has an oil drain hole. The Fumoto drain sounds like a great little mod to add.

Bella PSD said:
I can drain the 15 quarts out of my 444 CI in about 4 min.:)

Louie

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
It points right at my front diff. Its a shower when you pull the plug.

I had to notch a rib a little in the diff housing to clear th nipple but well worth it.
A couple of things.

Pictures, Grimmy? I looked at the drain plug, front diff situation and have been scratching my head for a few years trying to come up with how to fit in a Fumoto.

Second, the oil bath problem. Save your old cereal boxes and use them as a oil chute. I find the medium size (I want to say 22 ounce) Frosted Flakes works perfect. Open it up, put a slight crease lengthwise and hook the top flaps over the diff. Then open the plug, you get about 10 seconds of high flow and the cardboard will get slightly oil soaked, but keeps the top of your diff clean.

Got one with a nipple on the Tundra...I keep a short section of hose that reaches from the valve down and in to the drain pan, no mess. Easy to attach the hose, open the valve, then go deal with the oil filter while the pan drains.

-Sean

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
A couple of things.

Pictures, Grimmy? I looked at the drain plug, front diff situation and have been scratching my head for a few years trying to come up with how to fit in a Fumoto.

Second, the oil bath problem. Save your old cereal boxes and use them as a oil chute. I find the medium size (I want to say 22 ounce) Frosted Flakes works perfect. Open it up, put a slight crease lengthwise and hook the top flaps over the diff. Then open the plug, you get about 10 seconds of high flow and the cardboard will get slightly oil soaked, but keeps the top of your diff clean.
I only got one bath. I let the toyota dealer (had a cupon my mom didn't use on her RAV4 get the second bath. I warned the kid. LOL

Had to take off about 1/4-3/8's of that casting rib right below the drain plug with a angle grinder. Mostly to get it on.

I will try to get you a photo tonight when I get home.

CRD4Liberty

Installed one 1 1/2 years ago on my Liberty CRD, had to have an adapter built also as the CRD's oil plug was a weird thread. No problems as it's under the skid plate and it sure is nicer than pull/installing the plug and the mess involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk