Help a brother out - Post up some pics and details of your RTT lift systems

Egan70

Observer
Maximum operating pressure for 2", Schedule 40, is around 250psi. If you're only lifting 200#, or even 250#, spread out over four rams, I don't see where the problem would be. It's not like you'd be lifting, and holding up, a vehicle.

I know quite a few people running PVC (mostly 1", max op press of 270#, burst press of 1440#) as their air lines for shop air. None have ever had any issues with it. One guy built his shop in 1986 and his system has been pressurized (250psi) ever since.

Could always go Schedule 80, which has higher operating and burst values than Schedule 40.

Max operating pressure for fluid or gas? I have never seen a pipe manufacturer recommend compressed air (or any gas) in PVC or CPVC. In fact they strongly advise against using PVC for compressed gases.

Count Coconut

Judging you from afar
I use the Suspa hydraulic lifts for some of our automotive fixture assembly machines. They are nice, but if you pop a line your SOL.... Having said that no one has popped a line yet in 6 years. They will run you $500+ Canadian for hydraulic manual crank shaft. I thought about this for my RTT lift too, but I'm planning on using struts and cantilever legs made from perf. metal tubing.

Nice to see you over here Greg!!

LostBurro

Observer
Max operating pressure for fluid or gas? I have never seen a pipe manufacturer recommend compressed air (or any gas) in PVC or CPVC. In fact they strongly advise against using PVC for compressed gases.
I've never seen a vehicle manufacture that recommends driving faster than the posted speed limit. But speedometers show speeds in the 120's-150's. Does that mean the vehicles in question won't surpass 75-90mph?
Recommended, or no, I have seen 1/2" PVC consistently under, up to, 300psi. Just because it's not "recommended" does not mean it won't work at any particular psi, fluid OR gas. I would never run solvent, gasoline, MEK, or the like, through pvc. But, that doesn't mean it won't withstand those "fluid" substances.
It's called product liability, CYA, or whatever other legalities you want to refer to. Kind of like buying a product in Utah and having that goofyarsed "Prop 65" label on it.

Egan70

Observer
I've never seen a vehicle manufacture that recommends driving faster than the posted speed limit. But speedometers show speeds in the 120's-150's. Does that mean the vehicles in question won't surpass 75-90mph?
Recommended, or no, I have seen 1/2" PVC consistently under, up to, 300psi. Just because it's not "recommended" does not mean it won't work at any particular psi, fluid OR gas. I would never run solvent, gasoline, MEK, or the like, through pvc. But, that doesn't mean it won't withstand those "fluid" substances.
It's called product liability, CYA, or whatever other legalities you want to refer to. Kind of like buying a product in Utah and having that goofyarsed "Prop 65" label on it.

You're absolutely right, people are idiots and you will never stop that. Just because the building code specifically forbids it, doesn't mean people won't do it. And just because PVC isn't rated for compressed gases doesn't mean it won't hold.

LostBurro

Observer
I suspect this is a home shop or a small operation whats under the OSHA radar ?
Above ground or otherwise exposed PVC is not allowed for gas pressures above a few psi.
Even I think the few psi thing is dodgy, but it seems accepted for things like directing the atmospheric venting exhaust from volume appropriate air cylinders & such
I expect one can Google up loads of examples against using it.

If one wants to gas pressurise plastic pipes it should be one of the polyethelyne types.

You can find examples either way, mostly against. Thing here is that we're not building a hoist to lift a 5k# Tacoma, just lift 150# to 250# 6" to 18". It was just a suggestion of possibility.

I suspect this is a home shop or a small operation whats under the OSHA radar ?
Yes, a home shop. And I suspect, even in the backwards world of Oregon, the entire system will need to be ripped out if/when the house is ever put up for sale.

LostBurro

Observer
I'm using actuators with a 16" throw. Build is in my sig.
Do you have a video of one person raising and lowering your rack system? My concern is that I would not be able to get it back down, without climbing on top of my tent, when I was ready to pack up. I've found several youtub videos of two people raising and lowering rack systems like yours, but none with only one person doing it.

R Thomas

Observer
The issue with PVC and compressed air is if it ruptures. If you were to drop something that broke the PVC, you could have PVC shrapnel. PVC also tends to break into pieces with pointed edges. Liquids lose pressure immediately and gasses do not. We don't pressure test steel pipe and vessels with gasses for the same reason.

The pressure of fluid is no different between gasses and liquids. The fittings are also rated for the same pressure as the pipe.

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, cam we stop it with the pvc pressure? Pvc will at lest support 100 psi witch is about the water pressure in a house system.

Put them in 4 corner to lift a rtt witch weight in at about 100 lbs, plus rack another 100 max, you get 200 lbs. That bring it to 50 lbs per corner. Put 2" pvc pipe, this will become even lower pressure than 50 psi per corner. And for the added weight of people, you just put a locking system that even with air out, it will remain in place. So no need to hold air for ever. Just enought so the leak does not affect the lifting operation.

By the way, really like this tread. I saw the system made from electric actuators by my fellow canadian friend and realy like the principle. Does not like the price and the noise, but still like how he did it. Gas struts are not for me, cause my rtt could be up there with kayaks and or other things that make the weight change related to the trip I'm planning. But really thinking or air actuator. Fairly cheap for the weight I'm looking at, pressure requires should not be to high, since only need to carry up the rtt and thing and not hold the weight (would use locking pins), and only need to let the air out with a simple valve to bring every thing down. And 4 actuator with simple air tube to bring them together, I think I could even lift the think with a bicycle pump if needed (but would rather do it with OBA).

To be followed! Keep them coming!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
There is a lot of very good information coming up in this thread. Helpful yes... and some awesome builds I am now stalking.....er following too. I like the linear actuators, and the more I search the better the prices seem to be. 20" stroke for $268 including 4 pairs of steel mounting brackets?! Good price!

In my head it is gas struts that are still in the lead...in my heart the linear actuators are where its at. In my wallet right now, well it is neither for the time being. I just picked up a KILLER deal on a Dometic CF-35 12v fridge from a friend (new in box), so for now...I will have to wait on this. Planning and drawing and parts gathering will occur, actual deployment will likely have to wait until this winter.

I will simply have to bide my time, and whilst I do I will enjoy some ice cold beers from my new fridge!!

:coffeedrink:

Thanks for so many good ideas and for sharing all your experiences and builds with the rest of the Trailer Nerds in here!!

Gooseberry

Explorer
I have a hoist that is used to dress out a deer and it would work. It goes in the hitch and can lift 400 lbs and swivel 180 degrees. Was thinking it would be great to remove and install a rtt with only one person. I purchased to lift a motoped on the bike box but the bike did not fit the rails.

Cost was $200 will sell for $100 local pick up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
Sorry, but just to bring you back, the tread is not about how to install the RTT, but to raise and lower it already on the rack on a daily basis when out on a trip.

I have a hoist that is used to dress out a deer and it would work. It goes in the hitch and can lift 400 lbs and swivel 180 degrees. Was thinking it would be great to remove and install a rtt with only one person. I purchased to lift a motoped on the bike box but the bike did not fit the rails.

Cost was $200 will sell for $100 local pick up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater