Help for non-Toyota owner?

Scott Brady

Founder
Thats the one Graham. You are correct, not a circumnavigation, a trans-African route.

Here is the route:
Africa-Map.jpg

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
cruiser guy said:
The "J" means jeep. The letters preceeding that is the engine family and the numbers following is the series designation.

In my case a BJ60, "B" signifying that I have a "B" series diesel to be specific a 3B the "J" is universal on 'Cruisers and the 60 signifying the 60 series, meaning it looks the same as the FJ60 popular in the USA.

sorry but the "J" does NOT mean Jeep it means Land Cruiser! But you are partly right as originally it was Jeep until the name was patented by AMC

Last edited:

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
CanuckMariner said:
sorry but the "J" does NOT mean Jeep it means Land Cruiser! But you are partly right as originally it was Jeep until the name was patented by AMC

Some Landcruiser owners get all upset at the suggestion of early models being called Jeeps.
However it was also common in other countries such as Australia and Ireland to call any vehicle with a front diff a "jeep".

The Japanese had no name for an offroad vehicle and named it a Jeep for a while.
The notion of western style " brand names" was not a big deal in war ravaged Japan while it was under occupation

The original tender documents also labelled it to be a "General Purpose" vehicle which had always been shortened to Jeep regardles of whether it was Willy's or Ford made;).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Great question Dave!

For me, that truck represents all that is good in an expedition platform. Of course that is just my opinion, as some want more comfort, or carry more passengers, etc. I have now driven them all (40,60,70,80,90,100,120, etc.)

The 70 series is one of the few vehicles (maybe the only) that has circumnavigated Africa (documented) without mechanical failure.

Here are my key viewpoints:

1. Massive frame
2. Lighter weight than the 60 or 80 series
3. The BIG cruiser axles
4. Factory electric lockers
5. Great diesel motor (this one had an ATS turbo)
6. Great 5 speed manual with crawler first (not sure of the model)
7. ~100" wheelbase
8. Loads of room in the back
9. Simple construction, leaves, vinyl flooring, basic dash, etc.

I am just a big fan of simple, durable machines. No frills, and all of the cost going to bulletproof design.

Not saying this truck is right for everyone, but the 40/70 series and hi-lux Toyotas win my heart.

Oh, and diesel defenders are pretty sweet too.

Yeah, we're in the same boat, I, having driven nearly every single variant of the Cruiser, find the 70 series to be my favorite by far.

The only exception would be that mid length 40 sewries variant the 43??? Like the "scrambler" FJ. Anyone know what model that is???

I also loathe electronics and integrated systems the lead to failure and expensive repair/being stranded. MY 89 runner is about aselectronic as I want, No power anything (although I have auto locks with the alarm, but the key still works ;) )

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
roscoFJ73 said:
Some Landcruiser owners get all upset at the suggestion of early models being called Jeeps.
However it was also common in other countries such as Australia and Ireland to call any vehicle with a front diff a "jeep".

The Japanese had no name for an offroad vehicle and named it a Jeep for a while.
The notion of western style " brand names" was not a big deal in war ravaged Japan while it was under occupation

The original tender documents also labelled it to be a "General Purpose" vehicle which had always been shortened to Jeep regardles of whether it was Willy's or Ford made;).
Yeah, the story behind the origin of the Jeep name is quite interesting, alot of servicemen (my grandpa being one of them) just kind of stylized GP into Jeep as you said, but others think someone coined the name from a charecter in a comic called a "jeep"(Ithink is was in Archie for aome reason???) .

History is neat eh. I absolutely LOVE my grandpa's storys from WWII. He was in the SP at Guadel canal and he's always talking about the things the did in these bare bones, light weight GP's. FLat out amazing.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
roscoFJ73 said:

I stand corrected! Thank you!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
Z stands for overhead cam BTW, the 1FZ-FE engine for instance was the first (1) series of the FZ block (F = 6 cyl gasoline, Z=overhead cam, -F=24 valve, -E=EFI). Other designations were like the 22R-ET which R was a 4 cyl gasoline and the -T=turbo. A H engine designation is a 6 cyl diesel, and the B is a 4 cyl diesel. UZ is an 8 cyl overhead cam gasoline, FYI as in UZJ100
The 'Z' part is a bit confusing. Some of the R-series motors are overhead cam but don't have the 'Z' designation. The first R motors to be OHC were the 6R, although some were pushrod. Also I understand that having -Z after the series and revision meant the engine was supercharged, like a 4A-GZE is a factory supercharged engine. Anyway, I think that Toyota added the 'Z' to the left side of the designation because they were running out of series letters.

So take a typical engine, a 1GR-FE:
The 'GR' is the series designator
The '1' is the revision
The 'F' is twin cams
The 'E' is EFI

Another one was a 22R-EC:
This is an 'R' motor
The 22nd version
The 'E' means EFI
The 'C' means California emissions version

Or 22R-TE
The 'T' means it's a factory turbocharged

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/GasolineEngines.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/engcodes.htm#EngineCodes

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would agree about the "Z" and everything else seems to be correct...
The pinnacle of the 80 series are the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE. They are similar engines but FT and FTE are 4 valve overhead cam, FTE is electronic. The vehicle is called a HDJ-80 for any of these equipped with these engines. A similar non turbo is the 1HZ and this is called a HZJ-80 land cruiser... So I think the first two numbers of the model became representative of the engine, not just the first like a FJ-40 or a BJ42...

Also yes a FJ-43 is a mid-wheelbase approx 100" wheelbase model. The 45 and 47 are long wheelbase models...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thank you cruiserhead, those are my favorite 40's by far, and close to the perfect wheelbase imo. This thread is great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues