Help me decide, keep Frontier or get SUV (Montero, Xterra, 4Runner, Trooper)

Shortbuss

I have had my 07 X for a few months now. Really liking it, can't complain about too much. Friend of ours always rides in the back and she is over 6'. She says some bumps are a bit harsh back there. But I never sit there lol. Car seat fits pretty good and its great for wet dogs with the plastic cargo area. I almost bought an older 4runner again(97-2000) but I really wanted a 6spd, more power, better stereo ect. And I have always loved how the X's look and always wanted one.

DD196

Observer
Sequoia? A local guy has one with a bit of lift, tires, and bedlined below the beltline. It's obvious he uses it hard. Full size, V8, Toyota. Not a Land Cruiser but worth a look? They seem to be the most reasonable Toyota model for year/mileage. Sleeper?

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Consider the 1st gen Sequoia (00-07) if you need extra space for passengers AND their gear.

For the past 17 years, my SUV of choice has been a 97 Pathfinder, and while it's suitable for 2 adults and maybe 2 younger kids, it's very cramped for 4 adults and gear, especially for a multiday camping trip.

I recently picked up a 2005 Sequoia Limited as my "family camper" and it is huge compared to my Pathfinder. Before choosing the Sequoia, I looked at other vehicles, including the GX470, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser, but none of them have a comfortable 3rd row that also allows for storage behind the 3rd row seat. What good is it to fit 5+ people in the vehicle for a camping trip, but you can't fit any camping gear with you?

I found that the Sequoia has a very comfortable 3rd row seat, even for adults (I'm 160lbs, 5'9"; 30" inseam), and there's decent space behind that third row for gear (electric fridge, camping gear, etc.) I got the model with the 2nd row buckets, so that 3rd row passengers don't have to get in or out by folding up the 2nd row seats. Seating capacity is reduced from 8 to 7, but that's still better than 5.

DD196

Observer
Note about Gen 3 Monteros....

I was at my indie mechanic today getting the AC in the Xterra charged, in the back of his shop sat a Gen 3 Montero. Told him I thought about those before I bought the X, he said stay far far away from them. This one has some sort of brake boost problem, it has no power to the brakes. He found that Mitsi no longer stocks the needed part and it's $1000+ if they did. He found 2 looking at salvage yard listings and on Ebay for $900+/- ! Don't know how common the failure is but good to know about.

desert499

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm still exploring the possibility of getting a Montero, but I'm also willing to forgo the requirement for 7 passenger seating, which opens up the possibilities. Since I currently have a Frontier, I'm think my first step would be to check out some Xterras (Gen 2).

plh

Explorer
7 passengers for long rides is pretty cramped in the Montero also. Mits had them pretty sorted by the time the 3.8l was installed in 2003. Unfortunately they have disapeared from the USA market after 2006 MY. Good buys can be found. I am a bit bias however.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Dang, that patrol is super! Solid axles, diesel...OP-fly up to Canada and road trip back. Boom, done!

Agree, and limited slip diff in the rear, next best thing to a locker. H233 front and rear axles, front is a high pinion. Seller says trans has been beefed up. Patrols have better suspension that a comparable Cruiser, way stronger front axle. Turbo is an ATX, Aussie brand and good quality not cheap Chinese Ebay junk. Headliner looks vinyl which I think is perfect, better than cloth. Already got some LED lights and a winch. Toss a 3rd row seat in it and it will haul 7 people easily.

If the thing was LHD I would have already sold my Cruiser and bought it. Whenever I do get rid of my Cruiser, I will be going into one of these Safari/Patrols.

Cheers

EXPO365

Adventurer
Nissan Patrol +1....next would be a late model Xterra, the 4.0 are near bullet proof. The only issue with them were the timing chains whining due to defective secondary guide shoes. If you go used just check to see if the Rad has been replaced. A few trans coolers leaked internally causing the coolant and trans fluid to mix, wiping out the trans. It was mostly a pathfinder issue tho. Not many frontiers or Xterras were afected.

The Off Road/Pro4x are very well equipped. I want one soooo bad...I get to work on them every day but can't own one

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nissan Patrol +1....next would be a late model Xterra, the 4.0 are near bullet proof. The only issue with them were the timing chains whining due to defective secondary guide shoes. If you go used just check to see if the Rad has been replaced. A few trans coolers leaked internally causing the coolant and trans fluid to mix, wiping out the trans. It was mostly a pathfinder issue tho. Not many frontiers or Xterras were afected.

You're kind of right.

Yep, the timing chain thing is spot on. Once they start whining you have a lot of time to change them before something bad happens.

As for the contamination thing, it was not mostly a Pathfinder thing. It hit every Xterra and Frontier as well with a 4.0 and auto trans, or at least has the potential to be an issue. When you look at them, pop the radiator cap and check on the coolant. If it's pink and milky, just walk away. Otherwise, it can be saved from the impending destruction with a radiator bypass. A new radiator would do it too. Although I'd imagine to OP knows about this; he owns a gen 2 Frontier already.

EXPO365

Adventurer
You're kind of right.

Yep, the timing chain thing is spot on. Once they start whining you have a lot of time to change them before something bad happens.

As for the contamination thing, it was not mostly a Pathfinder thing. It hit every Xterra and Frontier as well with a 4.0 and auto trans, or at least has the potential to be an issue. When you look at them, pop the radiator cap and check on the coolant. If it's pink and milky, just walk away. Otherwise, it can be saved from the impending destruction with a radiator bypass. A new radiator would do it too.

I'm just going from experience, I've done close to 60 or so rads and transmissions since the problem started, let alone all the others everyone else in the shop have done, and I'd say about 70-80% were pathfinders, but than again the pathfinders are much more popular than the frontiers or Xterras. Nissan never released the number of vehicles effected. It really should have been a recall but they just upped the warranty for the trans and rad to 80k miles. I'm a Nissan master tech btw for reference.

Anyone who's looking at a 4.0 SHOULD check it to be safe. If you just bypass the cooler, make sure to install an external one. You may run into high trans temp if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal