Help me pick a vehicle heater for winter camping.

Clutch

<---Pass
Electric heater with a generator, is probably the safest. I won't use a propane heater while I'll sleep...no matter how "safe" they are.

A small 2000w Honda or Yamaha generator will be fine, with a boat fuel tank for extended run time.

Plus you can use the generator for other things.

attachment.php

FirerescuePW

Emergency foil reflective kinda blanket thingy? Seems simple enough. Maybe we are overthinking this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ExploringNH

Explorer
A sleeping bag is fine once you are ready to go to sleep but for sitting up and working in a computer a sleeping bag is cumbersome and not comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
A sleeping bag is fine once you are ready to go to sleep but for sitting up and working in a computer a sleeping bag is cumbersome and not comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true...I am spoiled, I like a little external heat...makes getting out of the sleeping bag a little easier. ;)

I like those Honda 2000 generators, whisper quiet, you can link two together to get 4000watts if you need it. That and a cheap electric heater works great.

0004889404141_500X500.jpg

try this

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...u=3537353233&gclid=CPjLq_vWq7wCFYNi7Aodz1kAqw

paired with this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/acc-climat...ters/p2002893.jcwx?skuId=165025&filterid=u0j8

and pushed by this

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

plus a few hoses and a water tank. you can get a cheap coleman jug. I'm still testing with the hot water part. when I ran it on closed loop mode it shut down at 160F. I think I can bypass that but not sure how smart that might be. Steam can be very explosive. If not that then I also have some dorman seat heater kits that go in my bed 628-040. 6 amp draw on high. I'll build a 30-60 min timer circuit so it won't run down the battery.

Paul

info update: jumpered the water output thermal switch and got water to two hundred degrees in a bucket. wouldn't get much hotter than that as the water was boiling in the heat exchanger and spitting out the output hose. Maybe if I build some type of pressure vessel I could get the heat up a little more. Not really necessary as the other end heat exchanger should bring the water temp back down by 50 degrees or so.

ExploringNH

Explorer
info update: jumpered the water output thermal switch and got water to two hundred degrees in a bucket. wouldn't get much hotter than that as the water was boiling in the heat exchanger and spitting out the output hose. Maybe if I build some type of pressure vessel I could get the heat up a little more. Not really necessary as the other end heat exchanger should bring the water temp back down by 50 degrees or so.

Thanks for sharing. I really like the idea.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Proplex heater, Love mine. but expensive.

That is probably what I will end up with. It serves my needs perfectly, aside from cost.

I really like the idea of a hydronic setup though. It's a nicer heat than forced air. I also like the idea of heating up a storage tank of water which resides under my sleeping platform. This would provide a fair amount of latent heat that would distribute upwards for some time after the system was shut off. Combine that with a propane hot water heater that would double as a shower unit and it is no extra weight or systems to carry.

I don't want the noise of a generator, even a 2000eu and I don't have the desire to find firewood or manage a woodstove. I want to be able to park, crawl in the back of the truck, and relax for the night.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Electric heater with a generator, is probably the safest. I won't use a propane heater while I'll sleep...no matter how "safe" they are.

A small 2000w Honda or Yamaha generator will be fine, with a boat fuel tank for extended run time.

Plus you can use the generator for other things.

attachment.php

The more I think about it electric is making a lot of sense for me.
How long will one of those honda generators run on just the built in tank?

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven