Here goes nothing...2700 mile trip in an unknown van...what else to replace?

DesertDrifter

Observer
So I just bought this 97 quigley E250 5.4 in Baltimore as a base vehicle for my camper build...only problem is I live in Los Angeles.

d721cae201833814246039fbd78497ef.jpg

e09abd088aa5556c408b7950ed4a1b40.jpg

1d58b8532bd87464f542171c0f1630ba.jpg

I'm flying out next week to drive it 2,700 miles back. The van has 180k and a solid case of the dw according to my friend who picked it up for me.

I'LL HAVE A FULL OPEN CARGO SPACE IF ANYONE WANTS HAVE ME BRING PARTS OUT TO THE WEST COAST

I'm gearing up for a quick day of maintenance in baltimore before I hit the road and wanted to see if there is anything i'm missing in terms of service and replacement.

Current List of Service/Parts/Tools:

Drive Train:
Change oil and replace with Valvoline Max Life
New Plugs
New Wires
New Air Filter
New PCV Valve
New Fuel Filter (if there is an inline frame mounted one)
Run Diagnostic to Check for Codes
Have Trans Serviced/Flushed
Check U-Joints and Repair if Worn (otherwise carry spares)
Check All Other Fluids

Suspension/Brakes
Replace Track Bar Bushings
Replace Front and Rear Shocks with Bilstein 5100's
Might Get an Alignment
Replace Steering Stabilizer if Time and Ability to Source one Permits (anyone know a bilstein PN?)
Replace Inner and Outer Wheel Bearings
Replace Brake Pads (know they are worn)
Check Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends
Spanner Check Suspension Mount Bolts

Tools
Large Socket Set
General Assorted Tool Box
D44 Hub Tool
Code Scanner
BFH, Zip Ties, Bailing Wire, Duct Tape & Tie Downs
Sleeping Bag & Bottle of Whiskey

Any other thoughts? I know I'm probably forgetting something.

Thanks.

Tim

RangeBrover

Explorer
Not familiar with the rig but my fiancé works in Baltimore and we live in DC so let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help out a fellow expo member.

sdski

Observer
If that is a "quick day of maintenance" for you then I could use a hand on a few things...

How familiar are you with the 5.4? It has coils on the plugs, so there are no coil wires, but it gets expensive to replace all the coils. Make sure you torque the spark plugs correctly and don't over torque them. Other than stupid spark plug problems it is a great engine, so make sure those are good before you set out. At the very least, if you don't replace them, check the torque before you take off.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck on the trip!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If that is a "quick day of maintenance" for you then I could use a hand on a few things...

Me too!!! Want a job??? ;)

Thats quite a list for a day, but I hope you pull it off & start the adventure asap. be sure to inspect the upper trac bar mount for cracks. Look forward to updates!

RangeBrover

Explorer
Forgot to mention that If you need a shop to do the work Arlington Motorcar Service in Tyson's Corner would be a great place to go. Talk to Bill, their services are top notch and the cost is more than reasonable. But if you're looking for a driveway I'd be happy to donate mine.

MadChad

Observer
Have a safe trip. What part of Los Angeles do you live in?
Wish I was a little farther on my build (I'd ask you to stop in N.C. for me).

The ignition coils are prone to failure, so it may be a good idea to bring one along with you. Not saying you should change them all out at once because they are close to $100 each. Usually they only fail one at a time. However, if one fails you should be able to limp it off the highway. If you're going to be replacing the shocks, might as well get the tires balanced also. As far as just replacing the front wheel bearings , unless they are visibly damaged I would just clean and repack them. Good luck with the journey.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I would not change the spark plugs in Baltimore, what unitl you are home. They are notorious for breaking in half and are very difficult/expensive to remove. Ford sell a kit to remove the broken ones b/c it happens so often. Search "5.4 broken plug" you'll find a lot of info

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I think checking and changing fluids and filters is a good idea. If brake pads are worn and making noise than I'd probably address at least the fronts. Beyond that, a lot of your items seem unnecessary for the trip you're describing. I'd spend an afternoon looking it over, changing oil, and making sure its safe. Beyond that, account for a little extra time to address issues that come up and head out. I wouldn't mess with anything that could lead to much more significant problems if you were to break a bolt or something. If the engine idles and accelerates without stuttering, than leave the entire ignition system alone. Same with the fuel filter. You bust a line removing it and you'll be far worse off than if you'd just left it to be a little inefficient at highway speed. Your quickest method for getting the thing properly checked out is to take it to an state inspection station and pay them to do a routine inspection on it. They might balk because you don't have a valid in-state registration, but just tell them you want to have it inspected without the expectation of a sticker....just the inspection. This will address all of your brakes, suspension links, etc in one fell swoop. If there are issues as a result of that inspection which could be considered safety critical, than address those and only those.

don't overthink this.

sdski

Observer
I would not change the spark plugs in Baltimore, what unitl you are home. They are notorious for breaking in half and are very difficult/expensive to remove. Ford sell a kit to remove the broken ones b/c it happens so often. Search "5.4 broken plug" you'll find a lot of info

With a 1997 you should hopefully not have to worry about breaking a plug, it seems to be 2004+ after they changed the head design that is prone to breaking. However the 1997-2003 engines are prone to blowing spark plugs if not properly torqued (www.blownoutsparkplug.com) so you will definitely want to check them with a torque wrench, but I agree that I don't think I'd replace them. I would pick up a spare coil for the drive from a ford dealer, it will cost you around $70. If you have never worked on a 5.4 before, especially having not worked on one in a van, it will take you 2-3 hours to replace plugs/coils IF you do not run into any problems. Make sure the plugs are all torqued properly and none are loose, I wish I did that right after I bought mine, it would have saved me $500.

If you replace the plugs, count the number of rotations each one takes to go in. If its less than 4 you may already have an issue.

Otherwise, my plan would be to check to make sure each plug is properly torqued and inspect the coils when they are off. If you have cracked coil boots then go to your local auto parts store or Ford dealer and pick up new boots for $10, don't replace the whole coil unless its misfiring. Then I would change the oil, tranny service wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I would grease all joints in the steering and check for play, replacing what is notably worn. Then I would be on my way. Save what you can for when you are home and don't have to be rushed doing it.

r_w

Adventurer
+1 on inspect everything but don't do too much work.

And post your route, as there are plenty of expo's along the way that can help if needed.

DesertDrifter

Observer
Update

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and info. I think I might have been a tad over zealous with my list. I tend to default to worst case scenario (I blame prepping offroad race cars and being stranded in the middle of no where in baja).

I'm lucky to have a friend helping me with the prep so hopefully we'll be able to get through my revised list without too many snags. Going to have the trans flush done ahead of time.

I am totally new to the Ford modular engines, all my trucks thus far have been the 4.0's or the 7.3 psd. Thanks for all the heads up i'm going to read up on the plug issues.

Appreciate all the offers for help too, and please feel free to hit me up if you need parts brought out. I'm still figuring out my route but will be sure to post it up. I'm guessing that goes in the "In progress adventures" section?

MadChad - I live in downtown LA.

So heres what i'm planning:

Drivetrain:
Torque Plugs
Check Coil Boots
Change Oil
Have trans flushed
Run Diagnostic for Codes
New Air Filter
Check U Joints

Suspension:
Replace Track Bar Bushings
Replace Shocks
Check Steering, Ball Joints, General Suspension Brackets
If DW still exists get into wheel bearings, ball joints, and steering stabilizer
Change Brake Pads

Parts:
Spare Coil Pack
Spare U Joints
Spare Wheel Bearings

Thanks guys...i'll keep ya posted

Tim

MadChad

Observer
Right on Tim.

I'd like to check out your rig. I'm not too far from D.T.L.A.

Chris, I'm getting close and can't wait to get Ujoint on the ManVan! Having a hard time on the decision of 6" or 8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk