Hi strength WHEELS, where?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I run recentered HMMV wheels on my van with the surplus rubber. The rubber is getting harder to find in good shape, and the price is going up as well. Civilian market rubber in the 16.5 variety is limited and pricey.

My intent was to dump,the military hardware and pick up something more mainstream in the 17" category, but....

Finding 37" tires that matched or,exceeded the load rating of my current was not difficult, but limited. I found the Toyo Open Country MTs in the 37/13.5/17 are rated at 4,000# and change, which exceeds the 3,850# of my current configuration. The 12.5 version of the Toyos has considerably less capacity.

The problem has been finding a rim to match the capacity of the tire, without buying some high dollar custom job from the usual players.

So, does anyone know of a suitable rim, off the shelf, that has 4,000# + load rating? Steel,or aluminum, I don't care. Plain Jane mother-in-law ugly, I don't care, I just need the capacity.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You might check out the Trailready HD17 - I think they make a version that would work. Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser too -

http://secure.trbeadlocks.com/17x8-125-45hd17beadlockwheel.aspx

Nice looking wheels but I see a couple problems. First is I don't see any weight rating anywhere, though I admit that at a sleepless 5:00am I may not be the most alert, and second, there's no situation I can envision in this reality that I'll be spending $500 for "A" rim let alone $2,500 for the 5 required.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
There is one review on the Summit site for those rims that should be looked further into before ordering:

3/4 ton guys beware
Summit Racing Verified Purchase

BRW-997798045
While the wheels look great out of the box, the weight rating that is posted on their website is not correct. These are not 3600+ lb rated, they are 2100lb rated PER the specs that are included with the wheels. This, along with the fact that 2 wheels are already bent/out of round with less than 500 miles on them disappoints me tremendously. I will be returning them for something else.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Nice looking wheels but I see a couple problems. First is I don't see any weight rating anywhere, though I admit that at a sleepless 5:00am I may not be the most alert, and second, there's no situation I can envision in this reality that I'll be spending $500 for "A" rim let alone $2,500 for the 5 required.

If you call them and don't include the beadlock or simulated rock rings they can be picked up cheaper than $400 each i hear. Still not cheap but they are top quality, made in the USA and offer custom backspacing to nearly anything you want.

zuke

Adventurer
There is one review on the Summit site for those rims that should be looked further into before ordering:

3/4 ton guys beware

BRW-997798045
While the wheels look great out of the box, the weight rating that is posted on their website is not correct. These are not 3600+ lb rated, they are 2100lb rated PER the specs that are included with the wheels. This, along with the fact that 2 wheels are already bent/out of round with less than 500 miles on them disappoints me tremendously. I will be returning them for something else.

Well, that is concerning! I run them on my crawlers, and have never had an issue, but I don't run anywhere near the loads that Tom would....

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you can bring yourself to go down to a #3650 rated rim, which won't match the tire rating, but should be fine for the rig unless you are really loading it up, you could save a lot of cheese by going with some BlackRock Steelies;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-997798045/overview/

My current setup is good for 7700# max, and as I recall the ******** end of this thing weighed in at about 7400#. I'd like a a bit more cushion so I'd rather not go down.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you call them and don't include the beadlock or simulated rock rings they can be picked up cheaper than $400 each i hear. Still not cheap but they are top quality, made in the USA and offer custom backspacing to nearly anything you want.

Either way that's still at least $2000 just for the rims. That's almost half what I paid for the van, so either way not gonna happen.

zuke

Adventurer
My current setup is good for 7700# max, and as I recall the ******** end of this thing weighed in at about 7400#. I'd like a a bit more cushion so I'd rather not go down.

Wow! I'm going to ask what will probably be an unpopular question...... Have you considered going back to duals in the rear? It might actually work out cheaper in the end, if you can find skinny enough 37's......

mudmony

Observer
Below is quote from Trailready. As mentioned $$$, but worth it IMO

Mark, our wheels are marked with the industry standard 3000 for 5-6 lug and
3400 for 8 lug, however, the 17" failed in destructive testing at 5500 lbs
so they are very strong. The 20 failed at nearly 7000 lbs.

The 20 clears all brakes on the market right now. the ID of the 20" at the caliper is 19"

tmo2460

Observer
If you can bring yourself to go down to a #3650 rated rim, which won't match the tire rating, but should be fine for the rig unless you are really loading it up, you could save a lot of cheese by going with some BlackRock Steelies;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brw-997798045/overview/

3/4 ton guys beware

BRW-997798045

I just orederd 5 of these over the weekend, they were pretty much the only steelies I could find with a load rating over 2,000 lbs. I think I should be OK with that, since my ambulance is on the smaller side and I am planning on keeping the interior pretty minimal.

I double checked the specs on Black Rock's website, I really hope I don't end up with the same experiance as that reviewer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven