High lift jack strong enough

tbared

Life participant
Ok, not that it was a forgotten neccesity, but as i build my monster, up to this point haven't falied to cover this neccesity, but not sure how to handle it. Ive been lucky up to this point not to need to change a tire. Can a highlift jack succesfully and safely support the weight of a fully outfitted F550 to change a 44" tire. I mean i get the back end up and feel somewht secure in its ability, but what about the front end. just a couple of weeks ago the truck wouldnt start and had to have it towed to the Ford dealer. The tow truck was a F450 and when it lifted the front b/c he couldnt get under it from the back he started to bend his wheel lift. I mean it was kind of neat and i was proud of myself to watch his truck squat and my truck just sit there, i wasnt sure what was making the terrrible squeaking noise but i waws like i said neat. I digress, So back to my querry, what is the consensus?

eric1115

Adventurer
I would definitely prefer a stout bottle jack in almost every situation. If you've got the ability to get a bottle under an axle, it's a MUCH safer option than unloading the suspension (I'd imagine you have a fairly big lift? If so, you'll be maxing out a hi-lift's range more than likely). The lone exception in my book would be that if you get a lift mate and jack from the wheel rather than a corner of the vehicle, you'll likely come out OK. It's the height and weight combo that would give me pause.

-Eric

K2ZJ

Explorer
...to change a 44" tire.

5ton Hydraulic bottle jack would be my recommendation.

That would be cutting it close with a 44" tire and lifting on the axle tube. With any uneven ground you need something stable to put it on.

A 60" Highlift might not be stable at the height you need to lift that much truck that high, considering the lift, flex and tire height. :Wow1:

I am thinking you are going to have to test it out first and see if it works, then decide if you want to pack it. What do the guys that have those big rigs use? They may be able to help you.

rjcj-8

Adventurer
One trick that you can do to limit how high you have to jack with the High Lift is to use a chain or strong ratchet strap around the frame rail and the axle tube to limit the amount of drop when you are jacking up.

eric1115

Adventurer
One trick that you can do to limit how high you have to jack with the High Lift is to use a chain or strong ratchet strap around the frame rail and the axle tube to limit the amount of drop when you are jacking up.

I think that's probably a given with this rig; what I was saying is that 44" tires, plus the lift to fit 44" tires on an F550, probably means that he's starting out with the jack at 3' off the ground at least. Take up the slack in the axle strap/chain, and he'll be maxing out a 48" hi-lift to change a tire on level ground. I don't think I'd be all that excited to have a 60" hi-lift all the way up, exploring its weight limit.

This is not mine, but that would suck to have that happen when you've got a wheel off of your F550. Even worse if you're underneath it! Get the load high enough and this would be a very real possibility with that big of a truck.
attachment.php

tbared

Life participant
The suspension is , bone stock so far, makin room w/ fiberglass bedsides and front fender so far. I do need to put leveling springs on front but I'm waiting to tackle an lift untill I get the complete rig weight outfited. I don't want height either, low as I can. This is no rock crawler, more of a long haul but prepared for the worst. When I travel up to hudson bay in winter or out west in the winters. Just really got started on it here this summer, been just putting mile on it towork out any kinks. The shop is stuffed with all my parts for it just not time to get it going yet. Drives me nuts too seeing all that steel just laying in a pile

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I want to see pictures of this thing, an f550 on 44's sounds intriguing. Pictures of claimed "Porsche killer" would be fun as well....

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Use a high lift with a wheel mate. Once the flat tire is in the air put a jack stand under the axle and lower the hi-lift onto the jack stand to change the tire. Seems easier to carry a jack stand than an extra bottle jack.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have an 8 ton bottle jack and it is way less space consuming than a jack stand. I also carry a hi lift, but that is just to keep my options of recovery open. If i needed to use it to change a tire I would, but if I could get the bottle jack under the axle I would go that route first.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
A hi-lift is a recovery tool, not a all purpose jack meant to change tires, work on vehicles etc. If you are doing something besides use it for recovery that probably isn't a safe use.

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333