Hindsight = 20/20...what did you wish you had left behind? What did you need?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Not sure if I've mentioned medical kits before, but I definitely wish we didn't go so overboard on ours. Put a nurse and an EMT together and you get a silly med kit.

Keep it simple: pain meds, anti-diarrheal, benadryl, Tums, motion sickness if you're planning wild boat or bus rides, and maybe some rehydration mixes like Emergen-C. Just bring a little bit in those little trial sized bags and you can reload in any pharmacy or tienda along the Pan-Am. I'd say the meds we use the most are for headaches after a wild night.

Obviously medications for specific medical problems are different.

chopper1050

I bought a 12 volt fan for inside the RTT on the still nights, and am having a friend bring down a portable water heater for showers , I need hot water to get the body working some days. I also carry an electric heating pad for the same reason.
I also cut my clothes in half but am glad for extra pair of shoes when the primary broke.

Great thread topic. Not South America, but I think our experience is applicable to anyone near the equator.

Two people in good health for 18 months traveling around, based on Uganda - South Sudan border. Our primary location is a basic compound (water tower, but no electricity) and more than three hours from closest grocery store. Brought eight North Face Base Camp Bags worth of stuff. I'll list the "loved," "hated," and "wasted"... hopefully it's helpful to others, Africa, PanAm, or otherwise.

Loved:

* WARN Powerplant. I know it gets a lot of ******** from people, but wow was it a great choice. The truck that replaced the FJC has separate winch and compressor units, but for something you're using only occasionally (except during the wet season) this was fantastic.
* Spices bought from Whole Foods before we left London. I read a study in the first year of my Ph.D. that a friend, who was an anthropologist from Oxford, had passed along to me at a pub. It said that people don't miss the foods from their cultures as much as they miss the spices and flavors. I certainly found this to be true. My girlfriend and I both love Asian food (from Hong Kong originally) and having the right spices was a godsend.
* Wifi router. Huge luxury to be able to be away from our "home" compound for a week or two and be able to divvy up a 3G connection between friends in camp or between a laptop, iPhone, and Kindle easily. Must-have vehicle upgrade, in my view.
* Field surgery kit. I managed to get a drill bit buried pretty deep in my finger after only a few weeks in the field. My girlfriend (the medic, thankfully) expertly extracted it and it healed well. The outcome using local (non-sterile, awful) tools would have been very unpretty.
* Hydrocodone and epinepherine. Honestly, these are the key two items from a pharmaceutical standpoint. We carry autoinjector (epipen) epinepherine and a bottle or two of vicodin. Obviously Cipro (for serious intestinal issues or to prevent infection after a serious wound) and Malarone (which just came off patent and is much cheaper now than when we packed for this trip) are important to have, as well.
* Nikka single malt. Wonderful stuff. Not going to start a whisky debate, but bring your favorite. That having been said, there is a Chinese merchant on the edge of Gulu who imports decent stuff and will even have a 750ml of Maker's Mark in the back occasionally - the days of having to bring whisky from the UK to Africa are over; I'm sure the same is true in SA.
* CCI .22LR MiniMag (plus your favorite stuff in appropriate caliber for whatever other weapons you have aboard). Wonderful ammo. Feeds in nearly any weapon, from a .22 pistol to older rifles. Useful for a million things, including putting a sick goat out of its misery on the roadside.
* Kuhl pants. I'd been a devotee of Prana and North Face and most of my pants for travel had always been Prana. I bought two pairs of Kuhl pants and had my tailor take a crack at them before we left (I find it hard to find pants with smaller than a 30" waist). Fantastic product. I have two pairs of the Revolvr model, and they held up to all kinds of abuse.
* Good batteries. This is a key flaw of the iPhone and iPad, you have to carry a spare device if you want a spare - you can't carry backup batteries. To me, it's a fatal flaw. Carry good, fresh batteries for whatever devices are important to you. One extra per device per six months is our rule of thumb.
* BIG inverter. I had a big 1200 watt power inverter in the back of the FJ, which saw a ton of use - and not just outside the compound. When the grid was down in town, it was nice to run a device (or charge a laptop) in the back of the truck.
* Good knives and two or three good pots and pans. There's nothing worse than preparing food or slaughtering a chicken or cutting a fish with a poor knife. We brought our best knives and that was ABSOLUTELY the right decision. Two or three good pots and pans are an excellent use of weight, particularly if they nest in one another.
* DEET (already mentioned in posts above) - dilute it for your washing and put together one more toxic bucket each month for your bed net and other items.
* Books. Huge compromise here, as books weigh a lot and you could fit 30,000 of them in your Kindle. But carrying a few of the right ones can turn around a gloomy, crappy day and make it productive or thoughtful. Huge advantage there.
* Good hand tools. Impossible to come by in the developing world (I've seen a hammer snap in half). They key ones are two adjustable spanners, a ratcheting multi-head screwdriver, and a proper set of sockets. To add to that, needlenose pliers and basic electrician kit is enormously useful.
* Tarpoulin and shower curtain. Bring two of each. Hard to find anything waterproof in Africa that isn't torn, destroyed, smelly, or whatever. Awesome to have fresh ones. Thin gauge and take care of it is better than thick and heavy. The girlfriend loved the shower curtain for privacy in a lot of situations. Applicable to travel nearly anywhere, in my opinion.
* Graphite lube. Get some at your local high-end bike shop or find it online. All lubricants available in Africa are foul, sticky, and gooey. It isn't the 1950's anymore, there are great lubricants available. Bring along some Loctite for when you desire the opposite effect - things like adhesives and lubricants are NOT widely available in the developing world, in my experience.
* Really good drill. Get a really good drill, the kind a builder might have in the box of his Hilux for years. You may feel that you won't need it, but it's striking how often this one tool made life immensely easier. Buy bits meant for specific jobs, not the kind that are coated with unobtainium and claim they can do anything. They'll last longer and your expectations and ego are less likely to be bruised.
* Boots that fit well. Find a pair that fits well out of the box. Break them in, but make sure you could run a 5k in them if needed. Now buy a second pair. Break that pair in. Bring both. This is what we did and it was one of the best decisions of the pre-trip packing/planning.

Hated:

* I brought an extra of every cord and cable we carried. Good idea in theory, but actually cheap Chinese USB cables are available even in the most remote parts of Congo, Sudan, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Somaliland, etc. Stupid to have carried this stuff, in retrospect.
* Small camera cards. I finally gave up and bought a pair of 32GB CF cards. This is a stupid place to economise. Buy the biggest cards your camera and budget will accept; using power in camp to download stuff to your laptop because your camera is full is a bad use of electricity and time.
* Axe. If I knew how often I'd be doing axe work, especially beheading chickens in bulk, I'd have brought a better tool. Again, stupid place to save money. Thankfully, I had a big Chinese butchers cleaver that I'd bought years ago at Stanley Market in Hong Kong. It did very well with some crude boning and slaughtering tasks and made quick work of guinea fowl and other common roadside purchases. Great for jackfruit, as well.
* Inferior sand ladders. Our original plan had not included much travel north of the Ugandan border and certainly no travel north of Juba. As our plans and obligations evolved, we ended up encountering more sand and loose silt (the red, awful stuff that is slick as graphite but sticks to everything during the dry season) than we'd ever planned. I guess I should have gotten the Maxtrax (now thinking of buying Maxtrax version 2).

Wasted:

* Toiletries. We took too much in terms of toiletries. Overall, I would say things like lotion and sunscreen (things you have on your body often) are worth having the XYZ brand of. I feel pretty strongly about this stuff, so I'm not going to have some random crap when I can have my Alba Kona Coffee after sun lotion (learned when I lived on Curacao for a year that this stuff is worth its weight in gold after a day in the sun). But we ended up giving away a lot of our stuff to friends at the end. Overall, probably close to three kilos wasted on personal care stuff due to overpacking (and, likely, over-rationing).
* T-shirts. Every site visit, meeting, etc. seemed to lead to the obligatory free T-shirt with the name of a bank, NGO, local political candidate, or some other nonsense on it. We ended up giving them all away at the end, but it was a waste for these T-shirts to be transported to Africa in the first place (not a single one was made locally).
* Oil. I did oil changes preventatively and frequently. In retrospect, this was a mistake. The oil was very clean the first time I changed it, and this should have been a message to me. In fact, the best thing you can do, in my opinion, with a modern Toyota, is not to do a single fluids change while in country (unless you're in a clean service bay). You're probably introducing more crap into the engine by doing a fluids change. Probably better to run it for 15,000 miles with Mobil 1 than to change every 5,000 and risk contaminating the system with the billions of nasty little bits flying around in the air. I didn't have an issue, but I will do this differently next time.
* Took too many clothes and like the 80 Series post above took too many fuel and water cans. We had two 20L water cans and could have only used one. We had four 20L gas cans and this was crazy overkill relative to any of the distances between stations we encountered, even in remote areas like Somaliland or Sudan or the tripoint region in Uganda.
* Warm clothes. Took too many. Could have gotten by with one hoodie. Short-sleeved officers shirts (the bush sort you see UK surplus) and good pants are all that was needed, plus some t-shirts as well.

Agree with Dave on not washing the truck. Our FJ got washed in Baltimore, America and then didn't get washed again for over two years. In fact, I think that spray-down in Baltimore prior to shipping is still its most recent car wash (I know the subsequent owner and it's unlikely he's washed it...). Believe me, in a few months your truck will be so covered in red African mud and dust that you'll blend right in.

By the way, that "over-rationing" part is a serious problem and something that's hit me on my last three major trips. You have to just realize that you brought a particular amount of X supply to last Y days and it's okay that there's only one package/gallon/can/whatever left of it, because that's how you planned it. I hear this from other friends who plan large deployments of people and resources. We're all so afraid to run out that we don't use what we have. I'm trying to get better about this, but still have not improved much. :(

As a lazy way to subscribe to this really worthy thread, here's a simple question for those currently or previously on the road:

Could you have downsized your vehicle to a motorcycle and still been happy?

Thanks in advance! :)

Awesome post!!

Wifey didn't want to spend a year on the GSA, but we have done 2 week trips in the US on it and it went flawlessly!!

mjohns2

Observer
Brenton,

Do you feel you needed the roof rack? And in regards to security and leaving the truck alone with whatever equipment you had on the roof rack, where there any major concerns?

Thank you
MJ

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
so you want true stories of humble pie.

I'm happy to share ... I've got plenty.

One of closest calls came in the California desert a few years ago.
It happened to be summer and I was driving a Toyota truck on a dirt back road.
I was well aware that summer temps could be extreme, so I took plenty of water and Gatorade.

when I started it was very early morning, so temperatures were nice.
somewhere out there around 11 am I came to a dry wash where the road went across a sandy stretch. No need for you to guess that I didn't make it. The truck got bogged down in soft sand, and although I tried to be very careful (rolling backwards and forwards) pretty soon the wheels were so deeply embedded that the sand was almost up to the level of the bed of the truck.

I was pretty much screwed. Even when you drink a ton of Gatorade, you're wearing a good sun hat, and light clothing - the heat from the sun out there at noon is incredible. It was really bad. I would go and work on the truck for about 5-10 mins, then stop, try to cool off, and go again. The heat was literally so intense that I thought I was going to flake out. Truth is - I was probably close.

I managed to get out by finding some stones, carrying them, making a short roadway of "paved stones" behind the rear wheels ... and backing out the truck. It was close - really close. I don't know if I would have survived too many more attempts.

The little experience belongs in my category of "really bl**dy stupid things" that I have done.

After that I put in place the following rules:

1. Always carry some long flat wooden boards on the back of my vehicle
2. NEVER do any road trips in deserts in the summer time
3. Make sure you tell a friend where you are going to be.
4. DON'T friggin' assume that if you've got ample liquids it's enough - sometimes that's not enough.

Fortunately, I'm still here.
So I guess someone Up There is still looking after me :)

cheers,
Kiwi-Yank

Wiley

Adventurer
Brenton,

Do you feel you needed the roof rack? And in regards to security and leaving the truck alone with whatever equipment you had on the roof rack, where there any major concerns?

Thank you
MJ

I had some guys try and rip my awning off without tools, woke me up at 4:30am. They were unsuccessful but I would say that keeping things on the roof will always provide a bit of risk...dont put anything up there you are not willing to lose.

1. Always carry some long flat wooden boards on the back of my vehicle
2. NEVER do any road trips in deserts in the summer time
3. Make sure you tell a friend where you are going to be.
4. DON'T friggin' assume that if you've got ample liquids it's enough - sometimes that's not enough.

Good advice. I would add SPOT messenger for any travel to isolated places. Its cheap, and if you need it help will come to you eventually. I think its foolish for any overlander to not have some sort of emergency communication now a days.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
wiley - good catch.
I am in 100% agreement ... these SPOT devices are very handy.
I have a SPOT2 now ... but they weren't around when that incident I talked about happened.

If I was doing some driving in hot desert weather - I'd probably make sure I have a large piece of good quality canvas. You can stretch it out using the top of the vehicle to make one side of a lean-to. It's definitely vital to have some way of getting out of the direct sun.

cheers,
Kiwi-Yank

Wiley

Adventurer
I just broke down near the entrance of a desert here in Colombia almost a month ago, and am thankful that I was lucky enough to limp back to town more or less and dont have a story similar to yours, its very easy to end up in that situation. I was really looking forward to driving several hours into it and getting away from it all for a few days. I read about it from homeonthehighway, I believe they said they were out there for four days without seeing anyone else....so knew what to expect. I even told my family beforehand if something did happen and I hit he help button out there it was just due to mechanical problems and to remember the help button is different from the 9/11 button. So not only would it have saved my *** if I had needed it, but it gives them some much needed peace of mind as well. I doubt if I will ever travel without one in the future...I think the tracking is worthless for me, but love the easy access to communication. Another form of communication is fine, but had I been stranded somewhere and help not came and decided to ditch the vehicle as a last resort, its nice to know its compact and waterproof so can come with me to constantly update my progress, unlike a ham/cb radio permanently installed in a vehicle.

bftank

Explorer
plastic craftsman tool box.

it takes up a lot of room. starting to simplify by having my wrenches in roll up sleeves purchase at harbor freight, sockets on bars in bags made from jean legs, screwdrivers and pliers the same. electrical odds and ends in a fishing tackle/meds container. everything labeled and organised.

i found with the craftsman box it was all jumbled up from the jouncing on the road. this way takes up a lot less space and is easier to get to.

another one was the pick axe, very cumbersome. handy when needed but rarely needed. stout bar and big hammer are more versatile and can be used for multiple things while accomplishing the same job as the pickaxe.

The Yak

Observer
On our essential kit list is, don't laugh, a good old fashioned rubber hot water bottle! :)

If my feet are cold I am cold, so it is great for those really cold nights to use it to pre-warm the bed or sleeping bag, then put it down at the end under my cold feet for a comfortable nights sleep.

Space = minimal, cost = minimal, comfort factor = priceless!

Bob.
The Yak.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Brenton,

Thank you
MJ

When we left, I didn't feel like we needed the roof rack. We had a deadline to set out on the road and we honestly threw everything in at the last minute, just to make it happen. Eventually more and more of the light stuff ended up on the roof or was ditched so that we could comfortably sleep inside.

In regards to security, as Wiley mentioned don't leave anything up there that you can't easily replace. Most of everything has a 1/2" security cable wrapped thru it and padlocked (chairs, shovel, and stove). Some of our items up there (buckets, tarps, funnel, etc.) are just strapped down without locks. Honestly, if someone steals those items they're almost doing us a favor because we'll have less crap to deal with and they'll probably get more use out of it than us. We've still never had anything stolen off the roof...since we sleep inside the vehicle and the roof is so high up we would feel someone climbing up the rig and messing with the gear.

That being said, before we left we told ourselves that ANYTHING we were carrying could be stolen at any point, but it would be okay because it's all replaceable (even the vehicle). When our dual fuel stove was stolen off our rear swingout in Guatemala, it was a huge bummer and impossible to replace. We forgot to lock it up that night so it was just secured with one bungee. Sleeping inside, I could feel the thief un-doing the bungee and I woke up to see him walking away from our rig but we couldn't catch him. Eventually we met some great travelers in Costa Rica who had a spare stove and they gave it to us. Life goes on and the world provides in one way or another. Somewhere in Guatemala there's a dual fuel stove with a custom paint job, collecting dust on a pawn shop's shelf.

The only exception to the rule is the external hard drives that store all of our photos and videos, which we heavily guard in our 1/4" steel safe. If those disappeared, we would honestly curl up into the fetal position and cry for a few hours...then walk it off and get on with life. I feel like this is an important outlook to have when you set out on the road for an extended period. After all, it's just stuff.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
On our essential kit list is, don't laugh, a good old fashioned rubber hot water bottle! :)

If my feet are cold I am cold, so it is great for those really cold nights to use it to pre-warm the bed or sleeping bag, then put it down at the end under my cold feet for a comfortable nights sleep.

Space = minimal, cost = minimal, comfort factor = priceless!

Bob.
The Yak.

We do that all the time with a Nalgene in our sleeping bag...boil some water and throw it in a wool sock. It saved our butts from shivering all night in Ecuador and Bolivia's SW circuit.

Our old SPOT messenger has been great. As mentioned, they're worthless for tracking although I've heard if you use SpotWalla, it's much better because you can save more than 7 days of coordinates. We only use ours for checking in with family when we're away from the internet for more than a few days. Using the SPOT that infrequently, we've been using the same set of batteries the entire 13 months we've been on the road.

We also set up our custom message as a "security threat" message that reminds our contacts to notify the consulate, embassy, and spread the word to a list of our contacts who may be able to help us out down south. We gave all of these contacts a heads up beforehand, along with specific instructions on what to do in this scenario. Obviously we haven't used this feature and there's a good chance in a hairy situation there wouldn't be enough time to activate it, but in theory it's not a terrible idea as long is it's well thought out.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
In my humble opinion...

less = more!

In other words, less = more weight saving which in turn means better mpg's. Less also = less to go wrong, less to burden you or drag you down or hold you back. Less can also = less to lose or have stolen. Less to insure, less to worry about. Blah blah blah!

The only bling I feel if worth it is a fridge and this is simply based on the fact I like cold beers. I am not into a heavy water tank but this is a luxury item that could be worth the weight. For me, water storage is about drinking or not drinking, weight and usage for non-drinking water. Something to keep the rain and or sun off your head to me is a must. This could be a simple sun hat or a full on awning that costs $1000. For cooking, I prefer a simple but efficient kit, small, light weight and compact is also key for me. I have found with an efficient stove and the right kind of meals I can go weeks at a time on a pretty small propane tank, ie 5lbs.

I tried the take it all with you thing and didn't care for it much. While it was nice having the bling in remote places, I didn't need it and do just fine without. I would rather save weight and not have all the bling. Many simple alternatives are available to the bling and pack up better, smaller, lighter and get the job done just as good if you know how to ration and conserve.

My worthless 2 cents...

Cheers

southpier

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't call it worthless. I think the whole point is "balance". from the backpacker philosophy to the gotta have the complete line of titanium goodies traveler, everyone reaches equilibrium at a different point.

hearing all sides of the argument makes for a good discussion and better decisions.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
"In my humble opinion...
less = more!"

I love the philosophy. I think it's got a lot going for it. Generally I prefer "light and fast" too. The main catch is that you have to substitute for the "lack of extra gear" by being a lot more skillful with what you've got. So quite often its the experienced people who can make the "minimization" philosophy really work.

But I see this debate al the times in different parts of the adventure sports. It always boils down to ... "Do I travel fast and light?", or "Do I carry a lot of gear and have the stuff that's really needed - when I really need it". I don't think there's an easy answer. Everybody's gotta' work out their own flavor on how they do things.

Kiwi-Yank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater