Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - On to new adventures!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Out cruising the back roads tonight and snapped a few pics.

P3100298-X3.jpg

P3100310-X3.jpg

P3100326-X3.jpg

P3100303-X3.jpg

Hodakaguy

screwball48

Explorer
Update on the SSO Bumper. Kevin (Owner at SSO) posted on my FB post regarding the factory welds...here's his comment: " Tom, you're right. That weld is not acceptable. Had I seen it personally, it would have been re done. You are clearly a skilled craftsman and I wish all of my employees had you talents.

We have had our share of issues these past few months as we expand and hire new employees. I will be showing these photos and comments to my guys fist thing Monday morning so they understand the importance of their work. I'll also be personally reviewing our qc process to ensure this type of issue never happens again.

I've also initiated a refund for one of your bumpers because of the defects."

I appreciate Kevin reaching out and wanting to ensure these issues are fixed before sending out any more orders, shows that he cares about the reputation of his company and the quality of the product that he is putting out the door. Thanks Kevin.

Hodakguy

I have wanted this same bumper for my truck since buying it. I want one even more now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fairbro

Back in my bike shop days, we called those "toothpaste welds". Nice to see SSO stepping up and taking responsibility.

I cant believe an actual welder would let a weld like this be seen by anybody. My dad would of slaped me in the back of the head if I ever tried to let a bad weld go on one of our jobs. Glad they replyed to you. Awesome build and keep up the good work

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Installing the Solar Controller and Powerlet Connection.

I'm getting ready to install the solar panels on the roof and it's time to get the Solar charge controller installed. I'm going with a BlueSky Solar Boost 3000i MPPT Controller, I've used this controller in my Syncro and it worked great so decided to stick with what works :)

The factory provides a cut out for their controller right above the heater.

P3180403-X3.jpg

Removing the cover on the controller cutout.

P3180404-X3.jpg

P3180405-X3.jpg

P3180407-X3.jpg

The factory pre-wired the camper for a Solar Controller so install will be simple. The wiring is tucked up above the heater unit.

P3180410-X3.jpg

P3180411-X3.jpg

The 3000i charge controller

P3180408-X3.jpg

P3180409-X3.jpg

The factory cut out is a little small for this controller so some cutting is in order.

P3180413-X3.jpg

Covered the heater unit with a garbage bag to keep the saw dust out of the important bits.

P3180415-X3.jpg

Front cut out and here I've marked a notch that needs to be cut for the rear of the unit.

P3180418-X3.jpg

P3180417-X3.jpg

P3180428-X3.jpg

Test fitting the controller.

P3180421-X3.jpg

P3180425-X3.jpg

Battery wiring is tucked against the far wall behind the batteries.

P3180431-X3.jpg

All the wires were marked from the factory making it easy to identify, I went ahead and verified everything with a meter before wiring everything up just to make sure.

P3180432-X3.jpg

I used Marine grade heat shrink crimps on all connection. I didn't get any pics but there is a fuse holder wired into the battery area.

P3180434-X3.jpg

Connecting the controller. I'll be fabricating a cover for the rear of the controller soon.

P3180437-X3.jpg

P3180439-X3.jpg

Time to install the power connection for the ARB Fridge. I absolutely hate US cigarette lighter connections, they always get loose and your constantly pushing the plug back in. I cut the factory cigarette lighter plug off the fridge harness and wired in a Powerlet connector instead, I'll keep the cut off end and make an adapter so I can also connect to a Cig lighter if needed. Powerlet connectors are great, they snap in place and won't get loose as you travel down the road.

Here is the fridge harness with the new Powerlet end installed.

P3180461-X3.jpg

Powerlet socket that will be installed in the camper. The depth of the socket isn't deep enough to pass through the wood on the camper so an adapter will need to be fabricated.

P3180462-X3.jpg

Continued Below.....

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above....

Fabricating the Powerlet adapter from a scrap piece of aluminum.

P3180440-X3.jpg

Holes drilled and socket test fit.

P3180441-X3.jpg

P3180445-X3.jpg

I drilled a hole in the heater unit just above the heater to install the Powerlet. The hole needed to be slightly bigger to clear the nut on the back of the socket.

P3180449-X3.jpg

Wiring completed for the Powerlet socket.

P3180454-X3.jpg

Controller and Powerlet installed, I painted the adapter black. Looks factory :)

P3180469-X3.jpg

P3180466-X3.jpg

P3180472-X3.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Installed the fridge to run it for a couple days and test the battery system, should be able to run for several days with no external power with the dual batt system. I'll be installing 240W of solar soon then battery power shouldn't be a issue.

IMG_0505-X3.jpg

With the top down on the camper there is still plenty of room to get into the fridge at rest stops ect without having to pop the top. I'll be installing mounting straps to keep the fridge secure in this location.

IMG_0510-X3.jpg

Next up fabricate a rear guard for the solar charge controller to protect it from items stored inside the cabinet.

Starting out with a piece of aluminum plate.

IMG_0512-X3.jpg

Cutting the piece down to rough size.

IMG_0513-X3.jpg

IMG_0516-X3.jpg

Corners trimmed.

IMG_0518-X3.jpg

Marking out the locations for the air vent holes.

IMG_0519-X3.jpg

Air holes drilled and beveled.

IMG_0523-X3.jpg

Using the finger brake to bend up the guard

IMG_0524-X3.jpg

IMG_0527-X3.jpg

P3200003-X3.jpg

Fabricating some hidden mount tabs from some scrap pieces of stainless.

P3200006-X3.jpg

P3200008-X3.jpg

P3200009-X3.jpg

Factory trim pieces cut down to size and re-installed.

P3200014-X3.jpg

Test fitting the guard in place.

P3200026-X3.jpg

P3200024-X3.jpg

Guard painted and installed in place. Should keep the controller well protected.

P3200030-X3.jpg

P3200032-X3.jpg

P3200036-X3.jpg

Hodakaguy

Loubaru

Adventurer
The OCD if definitely strong in you, I like it! The attention to detail is great. If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living? From where I'm assuming you are located and the all of the tools I'm assuming some type of industrial/farm equipment repair?

Matt.H

Adventurer
Hodakaguy, when you wrote about the blind fastener on the Guard, I thought you were going to stick a screwdriver through one of the holes you drilled for venting to a screw you had inside.
Looking fantastic and continued thanks for the write-up and photos!

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
The OCD if definitely strong in you, I like it! The attention to detail is great. If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living? From where I'm assuming you are located and the all of the tools I'm assuming some type of industrial/farm equipment repair?

Thanks, I like detail work :). I work for a natural gas pipeline and have held many positions from Lead mechanic/operator to Instrument Tech.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Hodakaguy, when you wrote about the blind fastener on the Guard, I thought you were going to stick a screwdriver through one of the holes you drilled for venting to a screw you had inside.
Looking fantastic and continued thanks for the write-up and photos!

Thanks...I'll keep the pics coming! That was my original plan but thought it might be a pain getting the screws in there without dropping them, the top seemed a lot easier :)

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk