Home Built camper for Tacoma

plywood testing

I have been looking for some 1/8"/3mm plywood to use in my camper. Marine grade is the obvious choice but expensive. The other options I've found are Luan (very cheap) and Baltic Birch (not as cheap). Neither of these option have exterior rated glue but many people use non exterior plywood for many surprising applications including boat building. There are a few tests that I have heard of to see how plywood will hold up. One is to put a sheet in the bed of your truck for a year but I don't have time for that. So I am using the boil test. Basically you just boil a small piece of the plywood you are testing for an hour. More about this here http://www.simplicityboats.com/boil.html

IMG_0670.jpg
Unboiled luan and birch plywood
IMG_0673.jpg
In the pot
IMG_0676.jpg
Here are my samples with their unboiled counterparts. After 1.25 hours of boiling both held up great. No sign of delamination in either sample, the birch swelled slightly more than the luan . I will build with the luan which will save me a huge amount of cash.

Morgan

pods8

Explorer
Neither of these option have exterior rated glue but many people use non exterior plywood for many surprising applications including boat building.

Neither specifically say whether they are exterior rated or not you mean. If they hold to boiling the glue used is exterior rated. (By the way if you have a pressure cooker that helps to really weed out lesser glues running it at 15psi).

Neither specifically say whether they are exterior rated or not you mean. If they hold to boiling the glue used is exterior rated. (By the way if you have a pressure cooker that helps to really weed out lesser glues running it at 15psi).

Well, the lumber guy said that neither of these have exterior glue but judging from my test he did not know what he was talking about. I think sometimes with these imported plywoods the lumber yards don't really know what they are getting. When I actually get my order I will have to retest to make sure that I get the same thing again. Luan is pretty shady and it seems like you never know what you are going to get. Pressure cooker is a good idea. I live at 8800' so boiling is not as hot.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Years ago when I was in the house building business I attended a seminar on plywood. We were told that ALL plywood used exterior grade glue at that time and this was 20+ years ago.

Before this time they did use "interior" glue. But it didn't make sense to use two different types of glue at that point in time.

I think now we have "Interior/exterior" and "pressure treated"

Goober

Adventurer
The Glen-L camper plans call for Douglas Fir Ext. AC for the box unit with the A surface on the exterior and to finish all exposed surfaces first with a plywood sealer then primer and enamel. This company primarily makes plans for boats so I would trust this is adequate.

The Glen-L camper plans call for Douglas Fir Ext. AC for the box unit with the A surface on the exterior and to finish all exposed surfaces first with a plywood sealer then primer and enamel. This company primarily makes plans for boats so I would trust this is adequate.

I am planing on using 1/8" ply which is not available in AC. The plywood is really just a core material that supports the fiberglass and epoxy which provide the real strength. Check this out to see how strong this combo can be. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gt6p46UPmBE&desktop_uri=/watch?v=gt6p46UPmBE Imagine hiting your truck door like that.

Last edited:

Goober

Adventurer
That is pretty tough construction. I don't have any experience working with fiberglass, maybe something I need to get into though. I've had trouble locating 1/8" plywood.

That is pretty tough construction. I don't have any experience working with fiberglass, maybe something I need to get into though. I've had trouble locating 1/8" plywood.

Working with fiberglass and resins is pretty simple just start with a slow resin hardener combo so you are not rushed. Do some searches on "stitch and glue" boat building to find a lot of good resources. 1/8" ply is often metric sized as 3mm. The three types I found were luan which is a cheapo low quality product but ok for some applications. Baltic burch, which is nice material but typically only available 5' x 5' sheets. Marine grade ply is the best and is available in several
different wood species. Luan and Baltic burch can be found at lumber yards that supply cabinet makers. Marine can be found at yards that supply boat builders or online http://www.boulterplywood.com/

pods8

Explorer
Its definitely strong but also keep in mind he's hitting that with a larger surface area hammer front on a panel that can flex a bit too. You just gotta factor that all in while deciding what level of performance you personally want and what material combinations to put together. In post 22 of my thread I made up test pieces with different combos and smacked them with a framing hammer as hard (smaller head than that sledge and also swinging much harder), they all cracked to a degree but darn near any light weight material would. In that instance over foam I found 3 layers of 8.6oz glass performed similarly to 2 layers of 8.6and 1layer of 1/8 cheap ply. All of those combos on 2" foam had more panel strength than required for the structure it was just trying to beef off the impact/point load strength.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...op-up-camper-build-thread?p=860140#post860140

All that said I still caution that laminating down plywood and then laminating a layer or two of glass over it is time consuming... give serious consideration to looking into factory FRP sheets to take the place of the plywood and glass, at least for the exterior.

I've been working on my camper. Did not quite make my first week of May deadline, so we had to spend a few more nights in the ground tents. Here are some pics of my progress.
IMG_0814.jpg
All the 1/8" plywood pieces cut out on CNC router
IMG_0815.jpg
A typical panel (this one has some plywood hard paints in it for bolting).
IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0822.jpgIMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0824.jpgWith panels complete assembly begins
IMG_0830.jpgIMG_0831.jpg6 oz fibre glass laid out.IMG_0832.jpg Glass wetted with epoxy resin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach