Homemade Roofracks.

burn_e

Adventurer
Have one, too.

pretty straight forward flat platform. Transports bulky camping items (chairs,tent,...) and the firewood.

P070810_1723.jpg

P070810_1724.jpg

P070810_1723_02.jpg

P070810_1724_01.jpg

Colby Jack

Traveler
Cab to topper connection

I'm soooo glad this thread got bumped! I'm about to have a rack built for my fool-sized Dodge, and I am wondering if I would experience any buckling or ripping if my rack spanned all the way to the cab. My idea is to have a RTT shifted to the cab, and create a back porch of sorts over the topper. If I go this route, I think I am limited to just a few RTTs that have a door that opens to the rear, like a few Maggiolinas I have seen on here.

Anybody had any issues with this type of connection?

Colby Jack

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I think you would. Being as the box and cab flex so independent of each other.

I think the best bet, would be to have a seperate roof rack on the cab, to mount the RTT, and a seperate roof rack on the topper, to support the 'patio'

O know when I get my F150 twisted up, the box/cab area moves quite a bit.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Finally got around to finishing my roof rack for the XJ.

Hardest part was figuring how to clamp it. The XJ has a funky trim piece on the drip rail. I was going to make it clamp like the ladder racks I've made for older vans, where it clamping force is 'horizontal', but this wouldn't work on my XJ.

So I designed a 'vertical' clamp, so the holding action is coming from the top and bottom. Used some ideas for the gutter mount from this thread.:coffeedrink:

I made the rack from Uni-Strut, a type of channel that electricians and plumbers/pipefitters use.

Uni-Strut:
unistrut.jpg

2010-08-14172001.jpg

High Speed tire clamp: The bottom of the large round plate has 'steps', so it fits snug in both the stock XJ wheel, and the aftermarket steel wheel.

2010-08-14172034.jpg

Clamping syatem:

2010-08-14174308.jpg

End view:

2010-08-14174317.jpg

Rack from front:

2010-08-14174328.jpg

I still need to mount the Hi-Lift, shovel and axe, and possibly the set of KC Daylighters I have in the shed.

This will be easy, becuase the Uni-Strut has holes in it every couple of inches. Also nice for straps or snubbers.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Added the Hi-lift today. Up next are the shovel and axe.

2010-08-15163836.jpg

Built a 'shoe' that the foot fits in:

2010-08-15163844.jpg

And made a secure, but easy to remove, mounting nut:

2010-08-15163848.jpg

I'm going to drill a hole in the threaded rod, and run a pin through it. That will keep the nut from backing off, leaving the jack like a missile in an accident:Wow1:

rezdiver

Adventurer
[/QUOTE]
I'm going to drill a hole in the threaded rod, and run a pin through it. That will keep the nut from backing off, leaving the jack like a missile in an accident:Wow1:[/QUOTE]

if you are worried about a missle during an accident make sure your rack anchors to your gutters are bullet proof as now you have a complete heavy rack with tire, jack and accessories acting like a projectile, lol.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
if you are worried about a missle during an accident make sure your rack anchors to your gutters are bullet proof as now you have a complete heavy rack with tire, jack and accessories acting like a projectile, lol.

Yep, got that covered!!:victory:

2010-08-14174308.jpg

I had a Thule rack, mounted to the stock XJ roof rack. Heard of (and have seen one) the factory rails pulling out.

So I fabbed up a good gutter mount.:coffeedrink:

I lost a spare from under my '96 F150 once, becuase the lifting cable rusted out. (dang road salt!)

It didn't hit anyone, thankfully, but that baby bounced down the road for a ways before hitting the woods:Wow1:

Also made the back end of the truck jump really good to!

So I'm a bit anal when it comes to mounting things, especially heavy things like the spare.

mudbutt

Explorer
Don't know if mine qualifies... I purchased the rack on-line.

When I got it, I realized it was way too small. So I stretched it both directions. I made it 8" longer and 8" wider.

Then I added light tabs, lightbar hoop, antenna and shovel mounts. Not sure I like the way it looks so much, but it functions very well.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Explorer
Just built a simple roofrack for my Tacoma yesterday. Just 1" x .120-wall tubing tied into the rollcage. The actual rack part is going to be mounted on pivot-points on top of the B-pillar, so that I can run it forward over the cab (so I can carry dirtbikes), or backward over the bed (less wind resistance & roof for my dogs). Will also be able to drop it all the way down and lock it to the top of the shock-mounts, which will turn the whole front part of the bed into a large, secure, trunk.

tacoma_roofrack_01.jpg

tacoma_roofrack_02.jpg

tacoma_roofrack_03.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Don't know if mine qualifies... I purchased the rack on-line.

When I got it, I realized it was way too small. So I stretched it both directions. I made it 8" longer and 8" wider.

Then I added light tabs, lightbar hoop, antenna and shovel mounts. Not sure I like the way it looks so much, but it functions very well.

I think it looks great.:coffeedrink:

rubberduck

Observer
Home made, low profile, and works great.
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

To all the people with roof lights. Doesnt the glare drive you nuts? I rigged some temporary lights on the rack to see if I liked them. The distance from up high was great, but the light across the hood and wind sheild was terrible. I even mounted them behind the top of the wind sheild.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco