Homemade Roofracks.

JAFJO

WOW, there are a on of racks here. There are some very nice racks and rides to look at. Gave me quite a bit to think about. I've been changing the designs of mine, they've been evolving over time. Here is a Suzuki exo cage and rack that I did as well as a couple of H2's. I'm working on a round tube rack right now that I'm pretty happy with. After the new year I'll post it up.
P1000836.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

And the most odd ball one of all. This lady wanted to use her T tops and she needed her trunk to open all the way.
IMG00597-20100608-1250.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
WOW, there are a on of racks here. There are some very nice racks and rides to look at. Gave me quite a bit to think about. I've been changing the designs of mine, they've been evolving over time. Here is a Suzuki exo cage and rack that I did as well as a couple of H2's. I'm working on a round tube rack right now that I'm pretty happy with. After the new year I'll post it up.
P1000836.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

And the most odd ball one of all. This lady wanted to use her T tops and she needed her trunk to open all the way.
IMG00597-20100608-1250.jpg
WOW. All nice but I really like that first one! thanks very nice looking group!:coffeedrink:

JAFJO

Thanks, that Josh's rig. I finished the front for him and added a winch plate a few weeks ago.
P1000856.jpg

I have trouble with rigs that don't have rails or factory mounts to work with. I'm going through every picture looking for ideas. I used the expanding thread-serts on that suzuki on the B pillar. It was pretty strong there and I was able to shape a large footprint, I made here a rubber gasket and used some sealant...so far so good.

I do tire carriers and cooler racks too. This is about the best thread I've found that is focusing on racks, lots of cool ideas.
P1000711.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks, that Josh's rig. I finished the front for him and added a winch plate a few weeks ago.
P1000856.jpg

Tell Josh he isn't done yet... he needs to put steel expanded mesh grating on the windows. Zombies will break the glass every time. ;)

Great job on the Zuk - it looks like a beast!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Soonenough, I will be writing it up saturday with pics when i have more time Work is crazy right now. They are the aluminum precoated ballisters that you can find at any home improvement store they come in a box of 10 and i used a harber frieght tube bender ,it made a tighter corner radius.

Very nice job! We are holding you to that Saturday write-up... :coffeedrink:

By the way - any idea of the weight and can you cite the dimensions you built it to?

Overlandtowater

Home brew mounted directly through the roof of my old F150, never leaked or squeaked, held four forward lights , two rear and one on each side for night wheeling, held tire(s) and kept the bed free. It was a great conversation piece too. Made out of 1.25 steel tubing didn't have a bender so I cut 45's on each end of the short tube to make my 90* bends.

Attachments

• 8458-12159-175382.jpg
    8458-12159-175382.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 322
  • 8458-12159-175383.jpg
    8458-12159-175383.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 8458-12159-175384.jpg
    8458-12159-175384.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 250

klaykrusher

Hi Folks, great forum here.

I needed something lightweight, easy to take on and off, versatile, able to carry different types of items and had to fit in my garage. I opted for a Thule track/bar system and use the bottom of a Haulmaster hitch cargo carrier from Harbor Freight. I'll end up painting it black. I think it will work out well for my needs. If I determine to run the carrier lengthwise, I can always pick up another one, $61.00 on sale and attach them side-by-side.

P1020712.JPG

P1020711.JPG

PolarXJ

Observer
This is the one I made, I use the stock roof mounting brackets with some flat plate inserted into them, then a bolt of course :D

Attachments

• Wallpaper15a.JPG
    Wallpaper15a.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 163
D

Deleted member 9101

Hi Folks, great forum here.

I needed something lightweight, easy to take on and off, versatile, able to carry different types of items and had to fit in my garage. I opted for a Thule track/bar system and use the bottom of a Haulmaster hitch cargo carrier from Harbor Freight. I'll end up painting it black. I think it will work out well for my needs. If I determine to run the carrier lengthwise, I can always pick up another one, $61.00 on sale and attach them side-by-side.

P1020712.JPG

P1020711.JPG

I love it!! I am planning on doing the same thing over the tonneau cover on my truck, and mounting a rack to hole a bike beside it on each side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven