Homemade Roofracks.

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
2013-03-13_12-51-55_212.jpg
Built this rack in my garage. Gutter mounts are off a Range Rover rack. The top part is conduit.
There is a light guard missing on the front. won't fit in the garage with it on.

socalctcamper

Observer
What type of track is this?

I have a new camper and its has the rails/tracks but the previous owner doesn't recall what brand he had...please help. Trying to post a pic, but if you can look in my album there's a pic of the rails mounted on the shell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 94

ripperj

Explorer
Not trying to be a mother hen( and maybe was Already mentioned)
But welding galvinized conduit gives off very toxic fumes. Just FYI in case someone didn't know

The racks do look very useful and cool

shmabs

Explorer
This thread was a big inspiration for me, and i wanted to share my recently completed rack for my 3rd gen 4runner. It's small but should prove to be another step in the right direction when it comes to cargo organization.

EA795980-3076-48D5-9ED5-DE5F32E23E77-3180-000004828154C1D5_zps0f34ce41.jpg

FBFA93BF-0AE0-4A23-B9BF-272B2CDAC171-3180-0000048292C6E285_zpsef73d6db.jpg

49A06D21-76CF-45F0-AFA0-F2CB402215A6-3180-000004828A63BEA6_zpsa52ac47d.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
Ghostring,

Yes its very close to the roof, 1/4 inch in the center, due to a design flaw on my part that wasn't realized until the rack was completed. With 125 pounds placed directly on the center "x" the rack will deflect just enough to hit the roof. I'm thinking some spacers underneath the mounting feet might help, but its not likely to be an issue as I dont see myself loading that much weight directly on the center of the rack. Ultimately the rack will probably be sold once i figure out how to make a full length roof rack that could actually hold some weight.

Mike

shmabs

Explorer
Oddly enough, a full length drip rail was something i said my next vehicle would have after i sold my montero sport. Clearly I screwed that one up with a 3rd gen 4runner!

Mike

shmabs

Explorer
The coating process was a bit of a mess actually, I started with a two part epoxy primer and then tried to do a two part gloss black top coat. After the first brushed on coat of that took more than two days to dry, I decided to rattle can it. I used some sort of industrial anti-rust coating that I had found in my garage from projects past. Given our recent cold temps and rains, it took forever for the rattle can paint to dry as well. Time will tell how it holds up.

Conrad_Turbo

Observer
Not trying to be a mother hen( and maybe was Already mentioned)
But welding galvinized conduit gives off very toxic fumes. Just FYI in case someone didn't know

The racks do look very useful and cool

I've welded up a lot of conduit, even built my own roof rack with it as well. The key to welding it is to strip it off completely, especially when TIG welding. The "secret" after cutting all your tubing is to put the end into a bottle or container which has muriatic acid (you could dilute it down 4:1) from a local hardware store. Strips the zinc plating off the outside and inside of the tube. Rinse it off and it's ready to prep for welding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven