Homemade Roofracks.

rb70383

Observer
While not exactly home made I did cut down my Kargo Master "Safari" rack to fit better. It was too wide and just didn't look right even after I flipped the top cage around. They are made for a Jeep and are 52" W x 60" L, which doesn't fit the 3rd Gen 4Runner at all.

I also remounted it using the mounts that came with it, by reusing the factory rail "nuts". Way better than mounting it to the factory cross bars which didn't look good at all.

I cut the base down 6" on each side and cut 10" out of the center. I bolted the top cage back together and now it fits just right.

I call BS. No way you cut that, that straight with a sawzall!!:D I like the way it came out. So the angle mounts came with the rack?
Ones that are bolted to the roof rails.

KAILUAZ

Down wit da Hui
I call BS. No way you cut that, that straight with a sawzall!!:D I like the way it came out. So the angle mounts came with the rack?
Ones that are bolted to the roof rails.

I got the rack off a guy locally from Craigslist and it came right off a Jeep, so the mounts came with it. I think you have to order them separately if you buy it new. I really wanted to keep this low profile and it turns out those Jeep mounts worked out great.

srch4me

Adventurer
I decided to give it a go with the electrical conduit. This was my first time welding and it turned out a lot better than i thought it would. I used 3/4" for the main hoops and 1/2" for the crossbars. I still need to fab up some light brackets, a spare tire mount and a hi-lift mount.

d6cf5379.jpg

1d7224cf.jpg

Would love to see some close UPS of how you mounted your rack.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Box Rocket

Finished this one last night. I'll share better pics later. Low profile was key for me. Still plan on adding a fairing to the front, but only temporarily as I plan on a LED lightbar across the front. There is just enough room to mount the lightbar below the rack and above the roof. Other features are tie down tracks, no drilling of the roof.

IMG_0834.jpg

Box Rocket

Better pics of my completed roofrack. I used a pair of FrontRunner detachable rails (designed for a Hilux) for the mounting. I had to fab custom clips to hold it to the roof since the Hilux ones wouldn't fit. The rack itself is pretty basic other than the tie down tracks. I'm looking at lightbars for the front, but gotta save a few more pennies.

Roofrack_front.jpg

Roofrack_frntcrnr.jpg

Roofrack_pside.jpg

Roofrack_rear.jpg

Roofrack_rrcrnr.jpg

Roofrack_rrcrnr2.jpg

Details
roofrack_detail1.jpg

roofrack_detail2.jpg

roofrack_detail3.jpg

roofrack_detail4.jpg

roofrack_detail6.jpg

roofrack_detail5.jpg

roofrack_detail7.jpg

The_Dude

Adventurer
Here is an atv rack I made this weekend. I am pretty excited about it! The U bolts went through 2 different stages. I am pleased with the finished product.

The back of the rack will have a more finished look to it with some sort of finishing aluminum stock to clean it up. It will also have 3 eye bolts running down the sides.

2012-12-30_131520_zpsc9f45066.jpg

Here you can the half ***** way I had the u bolts before...
2012-12-30_131545_zpscfe4cd95.jpg

2012-12-30_131611_zpsd137313b.jpg

2012-12-30_131637_zps08ff542c.jpg

2012-12-30_131618_zps2802c7ad.jpg

And the updated style I redid tonight! Much happier with this.
ForumRunner_20121231_182616_zps64842199.jpg

ForumRunner_20121231_182626_zps8e670b3f.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
I only "built" a half-rack out of a food rack from The Container Store. I used some grade 8 bolts and various hardware to hold it to the factory rack's crossbars. It had to be only half across in order to leave me space for my Smittybuilt Element Ramps.

attachment.php

I had my 20L NATO gas can, 7 gallons of water, and my trasharoo up there this weekend in Anza Borrego, with no issues whatsoever.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BrandonS

Observer
Here's my first roof rack I've ever had and attempt at making one. Made it out of 1" conduit and the basket bottom is 3/4" conduit. Just bent it up with a hand bender and welded it using a Mig 110.

DSC_9396And8more_tonemapped-XL.jpg

DSC_9380-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven