Homemade Snorkel

Blizz

Observer
And cheap... Cost me only 40€ + snorkel head. I use to put a prefilter in the summer.

It's only a 70mm SS pipe with a 50º bent. The most difficult part was to make the hole in the fender so tight but, DIY is always satisfying!

David

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Those rain gutter snorkels are the shiznit. I'm thinking about doing mine out of toilet paper rolls and duct tape.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Just out of curiosity, why do you say this? Thanks

from my experience, the water tends to go right where people are putting their cowl snorkels (under the vent where winshield wiper motor is not, on an xj..I forget which side it is...)

some have done kind of a short hummer/ m715 type stack to bring it up a bit, but even in the rainstorms here in socal, a couple times I was very surprised to have my cowl/lower windscreen covered with a good amount of water when I hit a large body of water doing like 30mph.

The same would happen if you entered a steep river bank, or dropped into a large hole...it could easily dip this area under water. been there done that. :D

just my experience...

OzX

Adventurer
My custom snorkel:

dsc038037zb.jpg

David

Looks Great - how'd ya do the bend(s)?

RenoRacing

Observer
Looks great! I'm guessing he used some "exhaust tubing" J bends. I used to do a lot of custom fab on imports(honda, nissans, etc) and made lots of cold air intakes and intercooler piping out of it. Great stuff, and easy to work with! I'm not ready to make the leap and start cutting up my rig, but when I see fit, I'll be doing my own snorkel!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-621008/

Blizz

Observer
Not exactly. I went to a pipe bending shop and said "I need a pice of about 80cm with a 50º bent in one side". Hehehehe

But yes, it's mandrel bent pipe so you can use that from Summit.

Cheers,

David

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very nice David. I am basically completely copying your design but on the other side.. I have the hole cut and the little rubber insulation in place as well. I am hoping the exhaust shop won't crunch it too much with the bend so it looks closer to yours...

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Hey Blitz, Nice setup. I am wondering though about the mounting you did. I see no mounts on the pillar. does the wind cause it to vibrate or hit the pillar while your driving?

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
My custom snorkel:

Toy02.jpg

David, I Would be very grateful for more photos.

Specifcally the ones not seen in your privious posts. Such as where does it go once in the fender, and how did you run it into your engine? Through the stock air box or what?

Thanks!

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad