Homemade Snorkel

Silver dude

Xplorer
Wow yeah that actually looks better then most aftermarket snorkels. I to would be interested in more pictures. So you just asked the exhaust shop to do one bend? Is it attached to the intake with exhaust pipe under the fender? Or is there rubber connectors the rest of the way.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Go to a shop that can do mandrel bends. It's pretty common these days.

Yeah but, I'd ask to see an example. Not every exhaust shop can do bends like that. Lots of them kink it.

It would also be pretty hard to use a J-bend and have such a clean result. The weld where the bend stops is going to show unless you have an incredible fabricator. One way to mask it might be to weld on a machined collar, instead of another straight tube. A nice collar to which the head would fasten. The transition to the larger collar would hide the weld somewhat.

JackW

Explorer
Here's my snorkel fabricated from lengths of 3" diameter aluminum tubing tig welded together and topped with an engineair precleaner. We powder coated it black over the anodizing.

IMG_0496.jpg

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Help with semi snorkel for Dodge Ram

I want to do an 'elevated intake', if not an actual snorkel, on my '03 Dodge Ram Diesel. I am looking at a sort of inverted air box with a NASA scoop cut into the top of the hood...gives me at least a 5' fording depth plus ram effect when crusing down the highway. My delema is how to manage water injestion in the rain! Any ideas for a rain water trap that will stll allow positive pressure build up at crusing speeds?

TIA!

YJake

Adventurer
Fish Hole Road. Has a nice ring to it. Have any pics. going through it, or how deep it gets?

No pics really as I was the one driving and my only passenger was less than thrilled to be crossing water. You can see a white depth guage on the side of the trail in the last picture. I coulden't read the guage, but the water was covering my bumper at one point and I had 3 inches of water in the floorboards.:Wow1:

Makes me concider wearing swimming trunks, a mask, and a snorkel while driving out there!:snorkel:

The water was only to the top of my 30" tires in this picture.

-Jake

bad80

Observer
No pics really as I was the one driving and my only passenger was less than thrilled to be crossing water. You can see a white depth guage on the side of the trail in the last picture. I coulden't read the guage, but the water was covering my bumper at one point and I had 3 inches of water in the floorboards.:Wow1:

Makes me concider wearing swimming trunks, a mask, and a snorkel while driving out there!:snorkel:

The water was only to the top of my 30" tires in this picture.

-Jake

Nice Snorkel Jake! where is that at?
it looks familiar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad