Honestly ...

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Ok ... I've read just about every "Should I buy a Rover?" Article, thread, post, and flyer out there.

Here's the issue. I've only owned 1 Rover, and it was for about 2 hours. The head gasket was bad and I got my money back. I don't want that to jade me from possibly owning a potentially good vehicle.

I know every vehicle is different, and if it's got good maintenance records, little to no rust ... yada yada yada. I get it.

It would really only be used around town and on the trails. A second overlanding and adventure rig if you will. As you can see, I'm an active member on this forum, just behind the wheel of one of Land Rover's global competitors.

I must admit, I'm pretty spoiled by the unbelievable reliability and capability of a Gen II Mitsubishi Montero. I must admit ... it really has been to hell and back. But the thing is ... my wife wants an around town vehicle, and wants to be able to wheel her own. I can't seem to find another Montero around here (they're hard to come by) but there's quite a few Disco's.

Like I said ... I know the "look for rust in these spots" and the engine look over deal.

Assuming all is well and good with it, as rare as a lot of you skeptics might be ... what is good and regular preventative maintenance to keep this wonderful British piece of ... "work" ... on the road?

I can do a lot of the smaller issues myself, but a head gasket job isn't out of my reach, but a little bit of a stretch. Biggest question ... besides ordering and installing a diesel ... how can I keep one running if I so happen to pull the trigger on one?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The ownership of a rover is something that i think you "grow into"..no-one should ar can be able to convince you of it..its the classic case of you either love them or hate them...and unfortunately just like everything else you can have good or bad experiences and they can cement or destroy your love affair with them..but there is plenty of stories of the Land rover being the one thing that in spite of all their problems it just keeps running and will get you home, or further away from it.....personally I wouldn't drive anything else but that has alot to do with the fact that I know them better than any other vehicle...but being Australian I grew up with some of the best and most iconic 4x4 vehicles around..
What model disco are you looking at..1 or 2.. various level of add ons that come on the d2 such as ace, self levelling rear, sunroofs and se7 etc etc..d1 trucks are alot more reliable and have less "refinement" and as such are less prone to problems..as well as alot more stuff being available to trick it out... I own a Land Rover shop in Ft Lauderdale and if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you..
SHAYNE

Last edited:

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Well ... there's a couple of 1's out here ... and quite a few 2's. Understood about the "refinement" issues.

IIRC, you lean a little more to the 1 than you do the 2. Do they both come with the aluminum engine? I mean ... you would think that they would fix that ....

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The aluminum engine was never really a problem until the D2 and they started using dexcool, it is reported to be the leading cause in alot of the problems.... we do 10 d2 head gaskets to 1 D1 head gaskets...keep the overheating issues away and the aluminum engine is pretty bulletproof...The d2 is a great vehicle as well but I think by the D2 they had started to get away from their basic utilitarian off roading vehicle and moving more towards the soccer mum and mass marketing upper class SUV market..and dont even get me started on the later Range Rovers..

mowerman

Adventurer
the beauty of the D1 with 300tdi is with a few spanners you can strip and rebuild the entire vehicle anywhere you like (or need) to.
Even rust can be dealt with, inner body rust can be cut out and plated and generally the chassis rails seem OK.
Parts are readily available (and cheap, at least here in the UK) and there are very little by way of electronics to go wrong.
Head gaskets are no more an issue on D1 than any other car, they can go if you are unlucky. The D2 TD5 engine is very different, but I am guessing most of you guys run V8s (Not popular here due to petrol being £7/gallon!)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
problem is that a 300tdi conversion is going to run about $8-10k...12 if you do auto to manual ...yeah I know people say cheaper but I am yet to see it unless you do it yourself..we didn't get them here so also parts aren't readily available nor is qualified repair people..

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Ok ... so the head gasket issue really just boils down to the coolant? I mean ... I'm not chemist ... but PEAK seems to work the best in the past 7 (yeah ... 7) trucks I've built. All different makes and models and engines.

So, other than just keeping a close eye on the truck (I'm a tinkerer) to ensure things are running right and staying away from negligence, I shouldn't have too many issues.

If that statement is correct ... a D1 could be an excellent 2nd vehicle.

But ... just to reiterate the question because I'm an idiot: What kind of things can I do myself in the garage and also look out for to keep from turning the Landie into a pumpkin?

Red90

Adventurer
As you have stated, it all depends on the specific vehicle. You are talking about buying a 14+ year old vehicle.... As with any brand, its history matters more than anything. Taken car of, they are very reliable. They like going off road. They get grumpy when forced to drive on the road.

Red90

Adventurer
But ... just to reiterate the question because I'm an idiot: What kind of things can I do myself in the garage and also look out for to keep from turning the Landie into a pumpkin?

There is nothing that you cannot do yourself on a D1. They are very simple, straightforward and easy to work on. Keep the fluids changed and clean. It is a 1961 designed American V8, it likes having its oil changed often.

Figure out how to bring in parts cheap from the UK and you will find it cheaper to service than any other brand.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yep... I second that... I have a 97 XD for sale if that is what you are looking for...its a bit expensive though because of what it is and what it needs..(nothing)...

hochung

Adventurer
Like Shayne said, only YOU can decide if you should buy a Land Rover. And if you can't decide yet, then you are not ready. But if you buy a piece of **** Land Rover even after knowing of the headaches (not sure what they are, I just read on the internet that the Land Rovers are leaky), that's a sign that you wanted it badly enough. And you'll be fine.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Yeah. I enjoy a project. Just not too much project.

I've always really wanted a Landie ... but I just never had the opportunity like I do now to get around to one.

Thanks for all the input and advice everybody!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Ok ... so the head gasket issue really just boils down to the coolant?
Not really. Overheating will cause blown head gaskets.
The youngest D1 is now 13 years old. Many people don't maintain their cooling systems like they should, so the radiators get clogged which causes overheating. Even a lot of off-roading where there is chaff from grass, etc. will clog the fins on them and cause overheating.
My point is, there can be a lot of reasons for overheating and many of them are lack of good maintenance.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
If you're happy with the Mitsu....stick with it. Can't be that hard to find one. You obviously don't want a rover based on your two hours of actual ownership so instead of subjecting yourself to such misery just don't do it.
I've never understood why someone craps on a vehicle then asks to be convinced into buying one.
You say you "get it" but obviously you don't. Honestly.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online