How are those newer Tacos working out?

phsycle

Adventurer
The Rams are about half. It is too bad that they aren't all like the Tundra. The other thought with the crew is for moto gear bags, parts box, etc....too keep that stuff out of the camper. And do a hitch rack for the bike, don't really care for them, but keeps from having to tow a trailer. If it wasn't for the bike, would need less storage. Don't mind towing a trailer, wouldn't mind getting rid of it either. It is that whole balance of what is the "perfect" setup....there isn't one. But awfully fun to think about. Like I told Dave...absolutely love finding soultions for problems I don't have. I really should get out there and mulch some leaves...but BSing on the internet about everything and nothing at the same time is a lot more fun. ;)

It would be nice for cargo storage. Although you can get plenty of storage boxes configured on the flatbed. I think I would like the shorter length of the singlecab. Maybe. Who knows. Bah. Retirement is a loooooong ways away for me anyway!

jasmtis

Indeed @jasmtis, the ABS on my truck is not VSC or TRAC enabled, it's pretty dumb in a throw back way. It sees a locked wheel with the brakes engaged as a problem and starts to kick in. Over washboard it's terrible. So just for my sanity I usually disable ABS on the trail. Once I committed to it on the road I barely notice anymore. It might be a little more aggressive when to engage but I don't think I could do better head-to-head in performance.

Generally speaking, though, I just don't like things that disconnect me from driving. So it's a principle thing mostly. I'm not really a luddite so much. I like the act of driving. I do need an old car I guess but it's just not in the cards to be a car "guy" or collector. One and done.

3 or 4-channel is where it surpassed even the best drivers because each wheel(or at least each front) is being pulsed exactly how it needs to be and no matter how good of a driver someone is ya only got one brake pedal.

I dunno, I'm the same way about really appreciating driver involvement but if I've got some control over some of the modern stuff it can be really astonishing. Even the same tech, like I find TRAC annoying because I can cut my own power if I feel like there's too much wheelslip but A-TRAC is pretty amazing actually(brake vectoring part of TRAC with no cutting of the throttle) and that's something I can't do myself. Frankly in day-to-day driving the crisper steering/gear changes and the pedals being placed in a way to make heel-toe possible give me a much more connected driving experience than the lack of nannies did in my 4Runner. And off the road if I want to shut off all the electronics and drive a manual 4x4 with two open diffs and no fancy toys, I can still do that. But A-TRAC's still there if I get tired of trying to figure out my way up a muddy, snowy hill the old fashioned way.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Completely agree with everything @jasmtis. Would only belabor the point that I don't have the luxury of multiple vehicles nor would I really see myself as a "performance" driver to know how to or even be capable of heel-toe. I guess I would explain it as I've always kind of liked feeling that I'm integral to the operation of my vehicle. Maybe I'm not as good as some ideal. I made my peace with that a long time ago. I like to say about my strictly average capability on a bicycle that some people are born stallions, some born donkeys. Now I can work really hard and become a fast donkey but I know I'll never be a stallion. Yup, ABS can pulse the brakes faster. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy in a weird sort of way doing for myself in the snow. Nor does it mean I'm gonna stop disliking eMTBs a lot. Couldn't care less if riding a pedal assisted bike would shave time off my evening loop ride. That's not the point of it for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
It would be nice for cargo storage. Although you can get plenty of storage boxes configured on the flatbed. I think I would like the shorter length of the singlecab. Maybe. Who knows. Bah. Retirement is a loooooong ways away for me anyway!

I won't wheel a $100K+ rig all that hard. Wheelbase isn't a concern. After running around in the these small Toyotas for so many years, thinking the next thing I should buy a little more than I need.

Not that it matters anyways like you said..."real" retirement is a looooooooong way off for me too. I might be able to quit this day job in 4 years, and work out of the house, be kind of semi-retired....but it won't be the sell off everything and hit the road type of retirement. Have another 17 years of waiting on her for that to happen.

phsycle

Adventurer
I won't wheel a $100K+ rig all that hard. Wheelbase isn't a concern. After running around in the these small Toyotas for so many years, thinking the next thing I should buy a little more than I need.

Not that it matters anyways like you said..."real" retirement is a looooooooong way off for me too. I might be able to quit this day job in 4 years, and work out of the house, be kind of semi-retired....but it won't be the sell off everything and hit the road type of retirement. Have another 17 years of waiting on her for that to happen.

Yeah, the cost will add up quick. $100k....that's a lot of money. Maybe I'll stick with my Tacoma and get a GoFast Camper. :D

Having an expensive rig just sit there would eat at me as well. This is another reason why I wouldn't mind going with a cheaper single-cab. Plus, for daily driving, it wouldn't be such a handful.

Love this rig. Although I'm sure this Prospector is over $100k.

prospector-xl-tray-bed-18.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, the cost will add up quick. $100k....that's a lot of money. Maybe I'll stick with my Tacoma and get a GoFast Camper. :D

Having an expensive rig just sit there would eat at me as well. This is another reason why I wouldn't mind going with a cheaper single-cab. Plus, for daily driving, it wouldn't be such a handful.

Love this rig. Although I'm sure this Prospector is over $100k.

prospector-xl-tray-bed-18.jpg

Ya know, in all reality... I couldn't even fathom spending that much on a vehicle. Even if I could...think I would feel too guilty. $100 fricken-K...and you haven't filled the the tank with diesel yet.

Do like that Prospector...no nonsense type of rig.

Then there is my buddy I have mentioned before... 44 years old, retired. Bought an older 4Runner and a Popup Trailer for under $10K and is living the dream.

phsycle

Adventurer
Ya know, in all reality... I couldn't even fathom spending that much on a vehicle. Even if I could...think I would feel too guilty. $100 fricken-K...and you haven't filled the the tank with diesel yet.

Do like that Prospector...no nonsense type of rig.

Then there is my buddy I have mentioned before... 44 years old, retired. Bought an older 4Runner and a Popup Trailer for under $10K and is living the dream.

That Ram's like the 70-series of North America. T-Diesel, manual, HD rig that can haul a lot of stuff.

Your buddy is living HIS dream, not mine. :D I hate pulling trailers. I know there are off-road ones available, but they still make me feel so restricted. A truck with a camper I can slide in when the weather warrants, or go light and pack a tent--that's my "dream" set up. :) Just a quick search for reg cab, manual, 4WD 2500, I saw a few around $30k with 20-30k miles. That's doable.

By the way, decent space behind the seats:

2015_ram_2500-pic-8413793359211312363-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That Ram's like the 70-series of North America. T-Diesel, manual, HD rig that can haul a lot of stuff.

Your buddy is living HIS dream, not mine. :D I hate pulling trailers. I know there are off-road ones available, but they still make me feel so restricted. A truck with a camper I can slide in when the weather warrants, or go light and pack a tent--that's my "dream" set up. :) Just a quick search for reg cab, manual, 4WD 2500, I saw a few around $30k with 20-30k miles. That's doable.

By the way, decent space behind the seats:

2015_ram_2500-pic-8413793359211312363-1024x768.jpeg

He parks the trailer, and then goes exploring with the 4Runner, mountain bike, and dirt bike. Kinda like I do. While I don't mind the trailer...heck I have been towing for so long now I forget at times it is even back there. That said...I could give it up.

I have been giving Rams a look. One of the few trucks that still has a manual. Diesel is a bit over-kill...but who are we to kid...hell of a lot of fun to drive with all that power under your foot.

Wish that RC space behind the seat was bigger. I need to get a moto gear bag back there. Kinda why I like Extra Cabs.

Ya know, a RCLB Tundra would work, they aren't too bad on the resale market....can be found cheap even. Flatbed with an OVRLND camper built tall enough to haul a couple bikes so I could ditch the trailer. Betting you could be out the door for $25-30K.

phsycle

Adventurer
Sure looks like more room in the Tundra. 5.7L is excellent and 6-sp auto is pretty stout. Payload could be an issue, although reg cabs are up near 2k lbs. That may not be a bad way to go.

2009-toyota-tundra%20regular%20cab-frontrowseats_ttturint0950.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
That's a great set up. Wonder if there is any frame flex issue with that much weight back there.

I think I would still lean to the Ram. Manual and that 74 gallon tank. Even if you get 13MPG, you've still got a 1,000 mile range. At 20, almost 1,500 miles (!!!).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good question. I'd hope the flat bed is built to tie the frame rails together pretty well. I'd probably lean toward the Ram configuration too, although honestly of all the manufacturers I think FCA is probably the one I question the quality of most, unfortunately.

Then again the parts are kinda of shared so you just gotta touch up all the frame welds on the Ram and you're good to go.

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangler-frame-welds-are-failing-and-now-fca-i-1829551649

phsycle

Adventurer
Agreed. Driving a Fiat doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I figure going with a base work truck trim with minimal electronics would mitigate potential issues.

Hopefully the frame failures are exclusive to JL's.

FJOE

Regular Dude
As much as I ********** about the size of the not so "new" Tacomas...they might just be the perfect size. The 1st Gen Tundra is about the perfect size for the average weekend warrior home owner like many of us. The Tacomas are darn nearly the same size as those Tundras. More engine and stripped down options would of been nice, but it is what it is.

My '95 T100 DX (Regular Cab long bed) is a monster compared to my Grand Cherokee. It's simple, tough, and looks good. I'm getting ready to do a big frame strip and rustproof/painting, and hope it lasts another 150k. When the motor goes, I'm just going to get another on off craigslist. My Jeep is a space shuttle inside, and as was said before, does all the right things, just not how and when I want them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven