How are those newer Tacos working out?

Clutch

<---Pass
Sure looks like more room in the Tundra. 5.7L is excellent and 6-sp auto is pretty stout. Payload could be an issue, although reg cabs are up near 2k lbs. That may not be a bad way to go.

2009-toyota-tundra%20regular%20cab-frontrowseats_ttturint0950.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Payload shouldn't be an issue. Aluminum flat bed, ovrlnd style camper. Have plenty of wiggle room. Though the price.... $5K for a simple aluminum flat bed if you're lucky, easy $10K for the camper...and that is a shell.

For the money you don't get much square footage or amenities.

Why I keep on looking at converted cargo trailers. A new Tacoma might be able to pull it...half ton no problem. Heck, could even get by with one of those worthless 5' bed crew cabs. ;) No worry about payload either. Lots of space for the money.

While no Alaskan, and I would do things a little different, but you get the idea. Do this for so much cheaper than a truck camper.

Clutch

<---Pass
My '95 T100 DX (Regular Cab long bed) is a monster compared to my Grand Cherokee. It's simple, tough, and looks good. I'm getting ready to do a big frame strip and rustproof/painting, and hope it lasts another 150k. When the motor goes, I'm just going to get another on off craigslist. My Jeep is a space shuttle inside, and as was said before, does all the right things, just not how and when I want them.

I like those T100's, one was in front of me for a little bit on the way home tonight. Love how simple those things are.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Payload shouldn't be an issue. Aluminum flat bed, ovrlnd style camper. Have plenty of wiggle room. Though the price.... $5K for a simple aluminum flat bed if you're lucky, easy $10K for the camper...and that is a shell.

For the money you don't get much square footage or amenities.

Why I keep on looking at converted cargo trailers. A new Tacoma might be able to pull it...half ton no problem. Heck, could even get by with one of those worthless 5' bed crew cabs. ;) No worry about payload either. Lots of space for the money.

While no Alaskan, and I would do things a little different, but you get the idea. Do this for so much cheaper than a truck camper.

Nicely built trailer, but you can keep that! All that wood cabinetry is nice, but talk about heft. Advantage is cost, but for me, I’ll just scrimp and save for a couple more years if I have to, to get an Alaskan. I’d just hate dragging a trailer to some of the spots around here.

Then again, but the time we retire, we’ll all be driving electric hover trucks. Going right over any and all obstacles. Slick mud or deep snow? No prob. RTT’s that level themselves. Can’t wait.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nicely built trailer, but you can keep that! All that wood cabinetry is nice, but talk about heft. Advantage is cost, but for me, I’ll just scrimp and save for a couple more years if I have to, to get an Alaskan. I’d just hate dragging a trailer to some of the spots around here.

I like the layout, but I would have to do it different. Definitely wouldn't be as nice, would be the dirt bag version. Would have to have a stainless counter top where I could sharpen chainsaw chains and work on dirt bike parts. One of the guys we ride with as one. Had cabinets and countertops laid out similar, but the bed was abled to raised. He was able to get 4 bikes under it. It was pretty slick. Bought that and a RCLB 2500 6.0 Silverado all for $12K.

Do really like those Alaskans, but even with my camper...sometimes it is a pain having it on the truck. Get it all setup, and it never fails want to go run somewhere. Be nice to drop the trailer and use the truck to go run. Like to haul the bikes, kayaks, whatever down the road from camp. That and all that weight really screws up the off-road worth-ness of the truck. No camper on the truck is good for fetching bikes too. I got a little lost on my Monday ride...almost ran out of gas...came real close to calling the better half to come get me. Got back to the truck at dark and on fumes. Later to find out she was panicking watching me on the Spot, seeing me going around in circles...which isn't normal for me. Guess she was so worried she was getting ready to call people. Got back and told her...only worry if the dot quits moving for a long time, and I don't hit the "Ok" button.

Then again, but the time we retire, we’ll all be driving electric hover trucks. Going right over any and all obstacles. Slick mud or deep snow? No prob. RTT’s that level themselves. Can’t wait.

Ha ha, true that!

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I like the layout, but I would have to do it different. Definitely wouldn't be as nice, would be the dirt bag version. Would have to have a stainless counter top where I could sharpen chainsaw chains and work on dirt bike parts. One of the guys we ride with as one. Had cabinets and countertops laid out similar, but the bed was abled to raised. He was able to get 4 bikes under it. It was pretty slick. Bought that and a RCLB 2500 6.0 Silverado all for $12K.

Do really like those Alaskans, but even with my camper...sometimes it is a pain having it on the truck. Get it all setup, and it never fails want to go run somewhere. Be nice to drop the trailer and use the truck to go run. Like to haul the bikes, kayaks, whatever down the road from camp. That and all that weight really screws up the off-road worth-ness of the truck. No camper on the truck is good for fetching bikes too. I got a little lost on my Monday ride...almost ran out of gas...came real close to calling the better half to come get me. Got back to the truck at dark and on fumes. Later to find out she was panicking watching me on the Spot, seeing me going around in circles...which isn't normal for me. Guess she was so worried she was getting ready to call people. Got back and told her...only worry if the dot quits moving for a long time, and I don't hit the "Ok" button.

Ha ha, true that!

Yeah that’s true. A lot of weight. Although, like I said, you could use different set ups for each outing. Maybe even add in another lightweight GFC type camper. Why not? :D

Honestly, I probably wouldn’t want a multiple set up option. I figure most of the travel we’ll be doing, will be out here in the west and up north. A simple camper would do us well. Probably a FWC like DiD posted. Just enough comfort of having a solid shelter and enough wheelability.

IMG_6656-1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah that’s true. A lot of weight. Although, like I said, you could use different set ups for each outing. Maybe even add in another lightweight GFC type camper. Why not? :D

Honestly, I probably wouldn’t want a multiple set up option. I figure most of the travel we’ll be doing, will be out here in the west and up north. A simple camper would do us well. Probably a FWC like DiD posted. Just enough comfort of having a solid shelter and enough wheelability.

Funny, I have thought that both would be good too. There are times I do just take the truck...when conditions are waaay too nasty for the bike. Or quickie weekend trips leave the trailer at home and take the truck & bike for a quick trip up the mountain. I'll get everything ordered on Monday, right after I win the Lotto on Friday.

The way I am have it now, it takes me 30-60 minutes to set the Wildernest up, by the time I toss on the rain fly, set up the kitchen, the shower shelter...shift things about, maybe that is why I find it a little annoying at times. Where something like a FWC everything is ready to go just pop the top.

Gotta say (and I have posted this before) do really like this.
13510866_10154354612449630_929424932564395837_n.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum

IMG_6656-1.jpg

Where is his spare? That’s the main thing keeping me from a FWC setup at the moment and very few spare tire carrier rear bumper combos available for the Ram. Added sprung weight, decreased break over angle, and more expense ($2-4K).

Funny, I have thought that both would be good too. There are times I do just take the truck...when conditions are waaay too nasty for the bike. Or quickie weekend trips leave the trailer at home and take the truck & bike for a quick trip up the mountain. I'll get everything ordered on Monday, right after I win the Lotto on Friday.

The way I am have it now, it takes me 30-60 minutes to set the Wildernest up, by the time I toss on the rain fly, set up the kitchen, the shower shelter...shift things about, maybe that is why I find it a little annoying at times. Where something like a FWC everything is ready to go just pop the top.

View attachment 479023

Their shop truck is still one of my favorite FWC equipped trucks ever posted! That thing has a rugged handsomeness about it and it oozes “simplicity” and nothing more.

Clutch

<---Pass
Their shop truck is still one of my favorite FWC equipped trucks ever posted! That thing has a rugged handsomeness about it and it oozes “simplicity” and nothing more.

Yeah, love that truck.

Also like this toned down version.

69d3122c79d1dd9c843bba834b170c12.jpg

And this, I know it isn't a popup...kinda goes with the OP's should I stay with the old simple stuff...or go with the modern high-tech wizardry?

15202559_10154806841959630_1357915484015750267_n.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

Do really like those Alaskans, but even with my camper...sometimes it is a pain having it on the truck. Get it all setup, and it never fails want to go run somewhere. Be nice to drop the trailer and use the truck to go run.

Why can't you drop the trailer and leave? Do you not have stabilizer jacks to keep it level? It is a very nice trailer by the way. I would love it if not going off-road.

I have the same trailer on the outside. I do not plan to make nice inside like you did. I have debated cutting the roof lower in the front and ramping to the back to reduce drag. I have a new F150 and my fuel mileage is about 22 mpg but with that trailer, empty, it drops to 11 at 70 mph. The trailer is only 1,600 pounds. It drives me crazy it drops it that far.

Clutch

<---Pass
Why can't you drop the trailer and leave? Do you not have stabilizer jacks to keep it level? It is a very nice trailer by the way. I would love it if not going off-road.

I have the same trailer on the outside. I do not plan to make nice inside like you did. I have debated cutting the roof lower in the front and ramping to the back to reduce drag. I have a new F150 and my fuel mileage is about 22 mpg but with that trailer, empty, it drops to 11 at 70 mph. The trailer is only 1,600 pounds. It drives me crazy it drops it that far.

That trailer was only an example. (not mine) Wouldn't want to off-road it either, but I really only setup base camp anymore, and use the bikes to go backcountry exploring.

I have a Wildernest on my truck. Once the Wildernest is setup...kind of a pain to rear it down to go run somewhere. Do have a trailer but it is an utility trailer for the bikes.

Have a buddy with a 6X12 enclosed and a F150, same thing as you mileage is terrible while towing. V-Nose may help.

Low profile trailers are the range in Australia, they always seem to get the cool stuff.

http://motostartrailers.com.au

Slider-Trailer.png

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I get 11-12mpg’s towing the M1101 empty (1500lbs) but I’m also on 37’s and the 6.4L Hemi is a thirsty girl all the time.

phsycle

Adventurer

Yeah, the lotto, no kidding. I also hate having to store everything as well. The camper AND the trailer?

Getting the FWC camper on and off seems like a less than eventful ordeal. I'd probably just leave it on 90% of the time, though. Seems light enough to do what I want to, most times.

Where is his spare? That’s the main thing keeping me from a FWC setup at the moment and very few spare tire carrier rear bumper combos available for the Ram. Added sprung weight, decreased break over angle, and more expense ($2-4K)...

I'd imagine it's just under the truck. I'd figure something out. Get something fabbed up. That's the other thing about a trailer. I have to now worry about another axle or two (2-4 more tires). That and the MPG @ITTOG mentioned above.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
F554promo_10.jpg

One of these with an Alaska camper. Dream setup.

BTW I find the talk earlier in this thread about "truck" engines vs non truck engines kind of funny. Modern engines like to rev no matter the displacement. I spent hours above 4,000rpm towing my 9,000lb travel trailer access Wyoming with a 25 mph headwind. The temps never went above normal, a little noisey though. The 6.0 isn't even making Max torque until those rpms.

My old 4.3 Chevy made peak torque at 2800 rpms, was it a better "truck" engine? IDK. I know it would overheat and get 10mpg if you set the cruise at 80mph.

In normal driving the two trucks get the same mpg, go figure.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, the lotto, no kidding. I also hate having to store everything as well. The camper AND the trailer?

Getting the FWC camper on and off seems like a less than eventful ordeal. I'd probably just leave it on 90% of the time, though. Seems light enough to do what I want to, most times.

900 fricken million...that seems obscene to me. Didn't keep from buying a ticket this morning filling up at the gas station tho'

Truck camper and a smallish cargo trailer like a 5X10 for the bike and all the smelly moto gear. Trailer with Timbren axle-less lifted on 32's or 33's you cold get in a touch back further.

hqdefault.jpg

FWC or whatnot that is better organized than shuffling around boxes that I do now....might be the little tweaking to do to tone down the annoyances I have now.

Saw a guy this morning by the lake with 80's something F250, FWC Grandby, and boat trailer. That setup wouldn't break the bank. There is an old FWC Grandby on the Boise CL right now for $7500.

https://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/d/four-wheel-pop-up-camper/6695847411.html

01313_fHeRjdnlKqe_600x450.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
900 fricken million...that seems obscene to me. Didn't keep from buying a ticket this morning filling up at the gas station tho'

Truck camper and a smallish cargo trailer like a 5X10 for the bike and all the smelly moto gear. Trailer with Timbren axle-less lifted on 32's or 33's you cold get in a touch back further.

hqdefault.jpg

FWC or whatnot that is better organized than shuffling around boxes that I do now....might be the little tweaking to do to tone down the annoyances I have now.

Saw a guy this morning by the lake with 80's something F250, FWC Grandby, and boat trailer. That setup wouldn't break the bank. There is an old FWC Grandby on the Boise CL right now for $7500.

https://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/d/four-wheel-pop-up-camper/6695847411.html

01313_fHeRjdnlKqe_600x450.jpg

That's the ticket. Ultimate versatility. I'd even be ok with a small open trailer.

I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin next summer.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/fruita_co/2015_four-wheel-campers_hawk_6328-listing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner

Members online