How are those newer Tacos working out?

I was told repeatedly that the Tundra would be getting the V-8 diesel Cummins like the Nissan, but nothing to my knowledge has materialized and its truly a full-size (too big for me). Haven't seen anything about the new Ranger, but the diesel will be an option for the 1/2 ton 150 soon; supposed to be a good tow compared to that V-6 thing. Again another full-size.

My '89 4Runner sits in my yard, and I keep thinking about a 2.8 Cummins crate motor. I've had this truck since I drove it new off the lot in late '88, and think it would at least be a great trail ride. I actually got 270K out of the 3.0 before it gave up; can't seem to part with it.

Deep down, I wonder if we'll be looking at new electric-hybrid super trucks by the time I deal with the Colorado replacement. They'll probably be glass framed and paper-bodied with a plastic drivetrain....

Clutch

<---Pass
I was told repeatedly that the Tundra would be getting the V-8 diesel Cummins like the Nissan, but nothing to my knowledge has materialized and its truly a full-size (too big for me). Haven't seen anything about the new Ranger, but the diesel will be an option for the 1/2 ton 150 soon; supposed to be a good tow compared to that V-6 thing. Again another full-size.

My '89 4Runner sits in my yard, and I keep thinking about a 2.8 Cummins crate motor. I've had this truck since I drove it new off the lot in late '88, and think it would at least be a great trail ride. I actually got 270K out of the 3.0 before it gave up; can't seem to part with it.

Deep down, I wonder if we'll be looking at new electric-hybrid super trucks by the time I deal with the Colorado replacement. They'll probably be glass framed and paper-bodied with a plastic drivetrain....

No diesel in the Ranger, but liking the specs of the I4 Turbo gasser. Won't get diesel mpg's but is looking like it will be a good compromise. No mpg's numbers just yet, my guesstimate is a solid 25 average. and upper 20's for the HWY mpg. Based on the Lincoln CUV that already has the 2.3 EcoBoost.

If you haven't seen this video.

phsycle

Adventurer
Me neither. I have had only 3 Toyotas in the last 26 years for my personal vehicle. '85 4Runner sold at 225K, '92 Pickup sold at 150K, still have the '99 Tacoma with 383K and counting...

I look and look at the new stuff, but like you said, it just isn't the same as the old stuff. 3rd Gen Tacoma still feels like a Toyota, but feels a bit dumbed down.

Be real interesting when the Ranger comes out if more people jump the Toyota ship, seems like long time loyalist are tired of waiting for them to put a diesel in the Tacoma, which looks like it will never happen.

Specs on the new Ranger are looking like it might be the gold-i-locks. Might not get diesel mpg, but will better than what the Tacoma fetches, the 1800 lbs payload is exciting too.

The redeeming factor for the 3rd gen is that it still has a manual option. Too bad the Ranger doesn’t. And a 3.3L V6 option. Now THAT is the Goldilocks truck.

austintaco

Explorer
At the end of the day, you are going to pay close to $40K or over $40K for a nicely equipped or top of the line Tacoma/Colorado/Ranger, so get what gives you a stifffy. My 03 Tacoma is still my “new” truck to me, and I hope to have it around for many years to come.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I was told repeatedly that the Tundra would be getting the V-8 diesel Cummins like the Nissan,

My brother still swears toyota is developing a flat 6 TD for the tundra, some ungodly engine with ungodly torque, but still nothing.... don't really see toyota paying for a cummins, they should have access to an inhouse diesel that they wouldn't have to pay for!

Clutch

<---Pass
The redeeming factor for the 3rd gen is that it still has a manual option. Too bad the Ranger doesn’t. And a 3.3L V6 option. Now THAT is the Goldilocks truck.

Not sure if the manual is enough to convince me anymore. The 3.3 NA V6 in the Ranger would be a nice option, but not on the table. The projected gas mileage, payload and towing. Makes it awfully appealing. Not to mention it is a better look truck. More subdued looks over the Tacoma. Could live with either interiors, both are nice but in different ways.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
My brother still swears toyota is developing a flat 6 TD for the tundra, some ungodly engine with ungodly torque, but still nothing.... don't really see toyota paying for a cummins, they should have access to an inhouse diesel that they wouldn't have to pay for!

Yeah I have heard the Cummins rumors too, but dropping one in the Tundra would be odd, especially when they already have a 4.5 V8 in the LC200, which shares some common parts.

Numbers would be perfect.

261hp @ 3,400 rpm 480ft/lbs torque ~ 1800-3400 rpm

http://dieseltoys.com/landcruiser-200-diesel

Not even sure why they keep the Tundra around. Sales are so-so... I like it and all, but given the choices out there. It is at the bottom of the list for me, and I am "Toyota Guy"...of course they keep the LC200 around and they only sold 3100 of them last year. Doesn't make sense.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not sure if the manual is enough to convince me anymore. The 3.3 NA V6 in the Ranger would be a nice option, but not on the table. The projected gas mileage, payload and towing. Makes it awfully appealing. Not to mention it is a better look truck. More subdued looks over the Tacoma. Could live with either interiors, both are nice but in different ways.

I’ll believe that when I see $$ exchange hands. :D :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Toyota builds Diesel engines for markets with increasingly strict emissions, so I'd tend to agree that it seems like EPA certifying their own would make more sense. But Toyota North America doesn't always seem to do the logical thing.

Clutch

<---Pass

Compared to the F-Series? 896,764 sales in 2017, granted that is all F-Series and they do a lot of fleet sales.

NA Toyota is a car company that sells a couple trucks, where Ford is a truck company that sells cars, which they don't even do that anymore. Seems like they only build the Tundra for Toyota loyalists. I am a Toyota loyalist, and I am not interested in it. Sure it is nice truck, but think there are better options out there. Only appealing thing about it is, it is a "Toyota"...don't think that is enough anymore.

Even Global Toyota does more cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_vehicles

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Not even sure why they keep the Tundra around. Sales are so-so... I like it and all, but given the choices out there. It is at the bottom of the list for me, and I am "Toyota Guy"...of course they keep the LC200 around and they only sold 3100 of them last year. Doesn't make sense.
It does OK. I wonder if they made a 1VD-FTV version how many more they'd sell.

Book1.png

DaveInDenver

Compared to the F-Series?
The F-series and Silverado numbers are for all models, all versions. Break that out to F150. Toyota sells 1.3 million Corollas globally every year and about 400,000 just in the U.S. And that doesn't include nearly the array of configurations to suit different markets. It's just cars. But so what, the number is either profitable or not. The drive to grow is I think at the root of our economic and social issues. We must always consume, consume, consume!

Perhaps you can Google the number of F-series still on the road after 10 years? They sell about 4:1 the number of trucks annually as Toyota but how many are still going? I'd rather buy quality, a new truck every 10 or 20 years. The whole sell fewer of a higher quality product model. Regardless if it's true anymore or not, I dunno.

Clutch

<---Pass
It does OK. I wonder if they made a 1VD-FTV version how many more they'd sell.

View attachment 480667

It would certainly peak my interest. Have little interest in American made diesels, but do in Toyota...and that is the Toyota Loyalist in me. However at this point would do an American made gasser, even a turbo one. And not a fan of forced induction.

Or if somehow Toyota got the Tacoma to get better gas mileage. Hybrid would be ok too. I just ca't see paying fullsize prices for a truck that has less power, low capacities, so-so gas milage, and a bit hard to look at.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The F-series and Silverado numbers are for all models, all versions. Break that out to F150. Toyota sells 1.3 million Corollas globally every year and about 400,000 just in the U.S. And that doesn't include nearly the array of configurations to suit different markets. It's just cars. But so what, the number is either profitable or not. The drive to grow is I think at the root of our economic and social issues. We must always consume, consume, consume!

True...and since GM, Ford, Ram do a lot of fleet sales as well. Helps bump the numbers up, are they better trucks? Or just the lowest bidder. I like the Tundra, couldn't live with that gas mileage though. That and it is butt ugly. Man, Toyota's styling has really gone off the rails... it is a big put off, as we were just discussing with @phsycle about the look of our trucks. Shoot, I am putting in different springs today that I just did last week to lower the front of mine because it looks doofy. Other-wise I could live with the stiff ride. It is a supposed to be a truck after-all, right? ;) :)

Don't think Toyota wouldn't be where they are sales-wise if it weren't for the Corrolla and Camry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven