How are those newer Tacos working out?

Clutch

<---Pass
The drive to grow is I think at the root of our economic and social issues. We must always consume, consume, consume!

Ha! Yeah for how much I like to look, not much of a consumer. Think it is the gear-head part of me, but at the end of the day I hate spending money.

The economy would certainly crash if everyone were like me.

Other than being new, a 3rd Gen Tacoma isn't all that much of an improvement of what I already have. Especially not for the money I would have to spend.

Perhaps you can Google the number of F-series still on the road after 10 years? They sell about 4:1 the number of trucks annually as Toyota but how many are still going? I'd rather buy quality, a new truck every 10 or 20 years. The whole sell fewer of a higher quality product model. Regardless if it's true anymore or not, I dunno.

Yeah I don't know if they are good as the used to be. Or is that just nostalgia talking? Never really hear people complaining about the Tundra breaking much...only real complaint is the dismal fuel economy.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ha! Yeah for how much I like to look, not much of a consumer. Think it is the gear-head part of me, but at the end of the day I hate spending money. The economy would certainly crash if everyone were like me.
Nah, you're still living in the reality we all are. We consume less than average but still buy throw-away junk because there's often no alternative anymore. Anyway, if people saved more, bought things they intended to keep and repair the economy wouldn't crash, it would change as it always does. In that sense it would change *back* to the way it was maybe a century ago. You'd buy durable things, tools, cookware that you inherited and passed down. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that you'd buy a computer, TV or car you intended to keep long enough to repair, too. So it's not a nostalgia but a philosophy. It's cheaper to manufacture throw away plastic crap that's sold on price alone. That started with toys and bubbled up to cars and houses. But you know as well as I that long term it's more expensive to constantly replace, which is well known to companies that profit handsomely from that consumerism.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nah, you're still living in the reality we all are. We consume less than average but still buy throw-away junk because there's often no alternative anymore. Anyway, if people saved more, bought things they intended to keep and repair the economy wouldn't crash, it would change as it always does. In that sense it would change *back* to the way it was maybe a century ago. You'd buy durable things, tools, cookware that you inherited and passed down. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that you'd buy a computer, TV or car you intended to keep long enough to repair, too. So it's not a nostalgia but a philosophy. It's cheaper to manufacture throw away plastic crap that's sold on price alone. That started with toys and bubbled up to cars and houses. But you know as well as I that long term it's more expensive to constantly replace, which is well known to companies that profit handsomely from that consumerism.

The amount of utter crap that is out there boggles my mind sometimes. Just to be bought and thrown away, or to sit on a shelf to take up space. Rather have experiences than nick-nacks. Most of my purchases revolve around something that gives me experiences....nothing like being in the zone while riding something with 2 wheels...motor or not.

The amount of choices out there are seemingly infinite, but we can't get a diesel in a Tacoma...go figure...

Last edited:
From the video, that new Ranger looks like a decent mid-size truck. It's interesting that of all the features highlighted, the interior and dash layout most impressed the reviewer, being the most evolved. Otherwise, it sounds like pretty much me-too performance and features. Rear locker, basic off-road package, super and crew cabs. 7500# towing with a turbo 4-cyl sounds good; time will tell on durability. MPG #'s should be interesting....

I found the history perspective on the Ranger being the first "midsize" pickup interesting. I'm curious, when was it decided that the mini-truck was no longer a viable product and had to be grown into the "mid-size"? Is this some side effect of US obesity??? I sure miss my '89 22RE p'up with 33's which was fun to drive with the 5 speed, wheeled well, wasn't fast, but got 20 mpg year round with regular gas...

DaveInDenver

I always thought the Dodge Dakota was the original midsize pickup. It was obviously bigger than the S10/Hilux/Ranger/Hardbody of the time. Not sure what was the first small truck, Toyota Stout or Datsun 120 or what. Those pre-dated the Courier by more than 15 years. Revisionist memory I think by Ford. This is not to say the new Ranger isn't worthwhile but selling on history may be weak.

Watt maker

I always thought the Dodge Dakota was the original midsize pickup. It was obviously bigger than the S10/Hilux/Ranger/Hardbody of the time. Not sure what was the first small truck, Toyota Stout or Datsun 120 or what. Those pre-dated the Courier by more than 15 years. Revisionist memory I think by Ford. This is not to say the new Ranger isn't worthwhile but selling on history may be weak.

I agree. To me, the Dakota was the mid-size, Dodge even had the Raider which was their mini-truck that was around the same size as the Hilux/S10/Ranger. The Dakota was the first mid-size, then we had the T100. The early Rangers were definitely not a mid-size truck. Everyone here probably knows this but in the late 60’s through the 70’s, the Ranger name was just an option package on the F-series truck.

tacollie

Glamper
In Ford's defender a F100 is about the same size as the new Ranger. I assumed that is what they were referring to in the video. I like the mid-size trucks I just wish they were more truck like. I think the newer trucks will good to 250-300k miles. What I think will be different is garage finds 25 years from now. I'm willing to bet taco that sat will have a lot of brittle plastic. That's fine because I don't think anybody will be restoring and rebuilding current modern trucks.

The paypoad seems good on the new Ranger. My issue is Ford makes trucks that require more work to work on. Still doable but more time wrenching isn't my thing. Tacos are easy too work on as long as your arms aren't too long?

Clutch

<---Pass
My buddy is restoring a mid 70 F250 Ranger. It's a cool truck.

Always wanted a 70's Crew Cab, I almost dragged one home for $800 from the salvage yard, but they couldn't find the paper work, and didn't want to do a bonded title.

There is part of me, that I should just get one of those old Fords...super easy to work on. But alas...I am tired of wrenching on stuff. Just want to explore. Heading out here soon to do some "micro-overlanding" ;) :D Gotta love having such good stuff right out the front door.

tacollie

Glamper
Always wanted a 70's Crew Cab, I almost dragged one home for $800 from the salvage yard, but they couldn't find the paper work, and didn't want to do a bonded title.

There is part of me, that I should just get one of those old Fords...super easy to work on. But alas...I am tired of wrenching on stuff. Just want to explore. Heading out here soon to do some "micro-overlanding" ;):D Gotta love having such good stuff right out the front door.

A friend recently bought a 90 f250. He's always bragging about how easy it is to work on in the field. I tell him that's good because he always has to work on it. People are always hating on newish Tacoma sbut mine always starts. All I've done is suspension and fluids. I'm due for plugs now.

Clutch

<---Pass
A friend recently bought a 90 f250. He's always bragging about how easy it is to work on in the field. I tell him that's good because he always has to work on it. People are always hating on newish Tacoma sbut mine always starts. All I've done is suspension and fluids. I'm due for plugs now.

Ha ha! That is my thought exactly(!) with those old trucks.

Mine didn't really start giving me trouble until 250K....that is pretty dang good. And even now...it is only something major once or twice a year. Which in the grand scheme of things isn't all that bad. All this talk about retirement, for some reason we tend (myself included that is for damn sure) to think we need to get something bigger. But after seeing my retired buddy with a 4Runner and a little popup-trailer...not so sure if bigger is better.

Think it snow balls...well... I need a bigger camper or trailer, then you need a bigger truck, should get a 1/2 ton, well shoot...if you're going that big, might as well get a 3/4-1 Ton. Next thing you know you're pulling a small house down the road, and that doesn't look fun.

phsycle

Adventurer
Think it snow balls...well... I need a bigger camper or trailer, then you need a bigger truck, should get a 1/2 ton, well shoot...if you're going that big, might as well get a 3/4-1 Ton. Next thing you know you're pulling a small house down the road, and that doesn't look fun.

We all want a truck that gives us the most versatility. That's why we bought trucks in the first place. Finding that balance that gives you the best mix of usage is the trick. Some can get away with a small SUV pulling a pop up. Others can't do with an F550.

For me, I am good for now with a Tacoma. Size, power, utility, etc. all work out well for me. When it comes to retire, I will be getting a slide in, most likely, so the wife would be ok going with me more. This will necessitate a 3/4 or 1 ton. But probably a regular cab to keep the overall size down as small as possible.

Who knows though. Life happens when we're busy making other plans.

DaveInDenver

I've had old trucks and newish trucks. My conclusion is it takes a special kind of person to have only an old truck, usually a kid without a complex life with demands of his time and lots of time to wrench on it. Like I was in high school and perhaps college years. By about 25 or 30 I was over it and wanted something less work. I wish I could get a new truck that was less complicated but the reality is I don't mind owning a truck that just works and I don't have to be constantly scheduling projects on it. My 1991 was still in good mechanical shape but major work was on the horizon, stripping and paint from rust, worn out from use. There's just no getting around it, age catches up and you either dedicate to having two old trucks that guarantees you can make it work or you have one mostly reliable younger truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven