How are those newer Tacos working out?

phsycle

Adventurer
I wonder how many of us, if given the chance, buy a brand new '85-'94 Pickup or 95-04 Tacoma? If Toyota were to produce some throwback versions and somehow skirt the DOT reg issues/standards of today.

I'd like to think I would. But I think if it came down to it, I probably would still pick a newer truck. There would be no cost advantage, as production costs would be very similar. Safety and convenience features would be much better in the new trucks as well. I'll admit space is welcome, for me and the family.

That said, for a 3rd vehicle, why not! 2001 Tacoma, single-cab, 2.7L 5-speed to play around in and solo adventures.

bkg

Explorer
I wonder how many of us, if given the chance, buy a brand new '85-'94 Pickup or 95-04 Tacoma? If Toyota were to produce some throwback versions and somehow skirt the DOT reg issues/standards of today.

I'd like to think I would. But I think if it came down to it, I probably would still pick a newer truck. There would be no cost advantage, as production costs would be very similar. Safety and convenience features would be much better in the new trucks as well. I'll admit space is welcome, for me and the family.

That said, for a 3rd vehicle, why not! 2001 Tacoma, single-cab, 2.7L 5-speed to play around in and solo adventures.

I'd love to get into a 94-95 xtracab or 4Runner again... If they were available new, I'd find the money.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

Oh man... a brand new '88 x-cab SR5 with A/C without all the crap I don't need or want, i.e. TPMS, air bags, traction control, seat belt warning, backup camera, ABS etc. etc... Sign me up baby!!
I haven't bought a brand new vehicle in over a decade because of all this crap that other people want or need or the government decided we have to have! I guess I'm just too old school to need my vehicle dinging constantly for all this crap, I can tell when I have a flat, if the door is "ajar', if I am not wearing the seatbelt... I sure as hell am not going to pay for all this crap when I can keep my old rigs going easily and save money doing it!

I've made my living on technology as an engineer, and appreciate some of the features common on current trucks. Saying that, I'd gladly have bought another '84-'88 Xtra cab with the original features, except a newer, more powerful, more efficient engine. I don't mind locking hubs and hand shifting transmissions and t/c's. When I bought my D'max Colorado 2 yrs ago, my options were limited to all bigger, heavier trucks that all maybe got 15 mpg. I got 16mpg for 270K mi's from an '89 4Runner and that nasty 3.0; I know power and size has increased, but in 30 yrs I kind of expected more. Lot's of cool tech, but it seems the market completely revolves around maximizing features to justify the cost. I know I can't live in the past...

I still laugh when I remember first driving that '89 4Runner home from the dealer. In those days you had to get the "power pkg" (windows, mirrors, locks), to get the "sport pkg" (loved those seats) on an SR-5. I'm pushing buttons playing with the locks and realize I could swing my arm over and unlock the door without even leaning in the fancy sport seat.

Clutch

<---Pass

True throw back would cost what it did sell for originally. I mean, if you're gonna dream... :D

All time favorite Toyota body style. '83 Longbed. My aunt's best friend's brother had one...and
had it forever. Seeing that and some other trips out to AZ where Toyotas were everywhere, they were still
pretty rare back in PA at the time as they were deemed "Jap Crap"...his '83 is what got me to start buying Toyotas.

His was white, but this is a very nice example, wouldn't change a thing.

1983-toyota-4x4-sr5-truck-2.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
We all want a truck that gives us the most versatility. That's why we bought trucks in the first place. Finding that balance that gives you the best mix of usage is the trick. Some can get away with a small SUV pulling a pop up. Others can't do with an F550.

For me, I am good for now with a Tacoma. Size, power, utility, etc. all work out well for me. When it comes to retire, I will be getting a slide in, most likely, so the wife would be ok going with me more. This will necessitate a 3/4 or 1 ton. But probably a regular cab to keep the overall size down as small as possible.

Who knows though. Life happens when we're busy making other plans.

Shoot the "ultimate vehicle" is constantly changing for me...like a squirrel on crank. ;) But it always comes down to what I have already works pretty damn good...for all the miles that are on it. It stil drives really tight....while not brand new feeling, not clapped out either. Does help that all of the suspension and steeering rack are fairly fresh. The last week sucked with those 882's...thought I ruined it. Back to normal now. Drives quite well.

Gaaaad who knows what will happen in the future, that is for sure. Why I try to get out as much as I can....would like to do more, but it is what it is. Why we moved here...don't really have the urge to travel anymore. So much to do right out the front door.

tacollie

Glamper
My first vehicles was 82 mini truck. It was rough but it always worked. Pretty sure something died in my dad when I bought it.

owyheerat

Adventurer
True throw back would cost what it did sell for originally. I mean, if you're gonna dream... :D

All time favorite Toyota body style. '83 Longbed. My aunt's best friend's brother had one...and
had it forever. Seeing that and some other trips out to AZ where Toyotas were everywhere, they were still
pretty rare back in PA at the time as they were deemed "Jap Crap"...his '83 is what got me to start buying Toyotas.

His was white, but this is a very nice example, wouldn't change a thing.

View attachment 481029

I also love these old Toyota's. Two of my best friends each had one. One had a white 92, and the other had the exact truck pictured (without the shell). We shot a lot of critters and caught a lot of fish using those trucks to get us to our 'honey holes'.

Like you, those trucks are what started my 'affinity' for Toyota.

Thanks for the quick jaunt down memory lane.

Clutch

<---Pass
My first vehicles was 82 mini truck. It was rough but it always worked. Pretty sure something died in my dad when I bought it.
I also love these old Toyota's. Two of my best friends each had one. One had a white 92, and the other had the exact truck pictured (without the shell). We shot a lot of critters and caught a lot of fish using those trucks to get us to our 'honey holes'.

Like you, those trucks are what started my 'affinity' for Toyota.

Thanks for the quick jaunt down memory lane.

You're welcome @owyheerat

My dad was a good ol' boy...probably where I get my BSing gene from. :D:p

He about had a bird when I brought the '85 4Runner home. "Git that Jap Crap otta here, boy!" Shut him up real quick when it would out wheel his Bronco. Paid $6000 for it with 60K on the ODO. Was a true utility vehicle, didn't even have a back seat, which I learned it was a way to skirt the chicken the tax. I put one in though. Crappy scanned in film pictures. Amazingly still have pictures of it, found them going through a box when we moved.

59043_435188414629_8129942_n.jpg

16388382_10155037675214630_9167563625778571458_n.jpg

62048_435188784629_6601579_n.jpg

And with the Downey 3" lift. And of course the "Desert Rat Offroad" windscreen sticker...think I was destine to move to AZ. :D Upgraded to 31" BFG's and 15X8 chrome wheels...you were really cool if you had chrome wheels....now you're considered lame. :D

15541585_10154894174954630_8209503161450561392_n.jpg

which was sold at 225K miles, and I bought the '92...which I sold at 150K for the current '99 because I wanted a V6 and extra cab. Only had 3 of them over these last 26 years for my personal do everything ride. Think that says a lot. I look at the domestics...and while I do like them...it would be extremely hard to leave Toyota. Note the futon mattress on the hood @phsycle I hated sleeping on the ground even when I was young...used to toss that in the bed of the truck. Not my tent, my buddy's. Picture somewhere above Sedona. That '92 went everywhere AZ, CA, CO, NM, UT, Baja....

15590097_10154894208014630_8504405929965624505_n.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
. Note the futon mattress on the hood @phsycle I hated sleeping on the ground even when I was young...used to toss that in the bed of the truck. Not my tent, my buddy's. Picture somewhere above Sedona. That '92 went everywhere AZ, CA, CO, NM, UT, Baja....

15590097_10154894208014630_8504405929965624505_n.jpg

Ha ha, nice. I still love ground tent camping, but I won't deny rolling out a pad in the bed for a 10 second set up is nice as well.

I guess I'm not too surprised most people would jump at the chance of buying a new old truck, even adjusting the price for inflation. For me, I could probably go back to a 1st Gen. But really, if I were looking for a truck at the dealership, brand new 2018 and brand new 2004. Both set up the same, V6, 4WD. BOTH priced $33k. I'd have a hard time justifying the 1st Gen.

Note this is for a primary, daily driver. For a 3rd vehicle, it'd be cool to have a new '83 or '86 pickup. I just couldn't stand it driving around on a daily basis.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Was a true utility vehicle, didn't even have a back seat, which I learned it was a way to skirt the chicken the tax.
Isn't it the other way? The back seat made it a passenger car and not a truck so it escaped the chicken tax protecting domestic trucks? I think your 4Runner probably was just optioned without one or perhaps the OP sold it for crack (this being the 80s before meth).

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha ha, nice. I still love ground tent camping, but I won't deny rolling out a pad in the bed for a 10 second set up is nice as well.

I guess I'm not too surprised most people would jump at the chance of buying a new old truck, even adjusting the price for inflation. For me, I could probably go back to a 1st Gen. But really, if I were looking for a truck at the dealership, brand new 2018 and brand new 2004. Both set up the same, V6, 4WD. BOTH priced $33k. I'd have a hard time justifying the 1st Gen.

Note this is for a primary, daily driver. For a 3rd vehicle, it'd be cool to have a new '83 or '86 pickup. I just couldn't stand it driving around on a daily basis.

I have had a bad back since I was 14-15? Hurt it lifting rail road ties helping my dad. Those thin ground pads kill me. Never had any luck with air mattresses either...always end up on the ground in the middle of the night.

Ok, I would change one thing on that '83. modern 2.7 engine.

But if they cost the same...would go with a 3rd Gen...it is a really nice truck. It still "feels" like a Toyota even with all the gadgetry.

Clutch

<---Pass
Isn't it the other way? The back seat made it a passenger car and not a truck so it escaped the chicken tax protecting domestic trucks? I think your 4Runner probably was just optioned without one or perhaps the OP sold it for crack (this being the 80s before meth).

I can't remember...found an article on it one day. Bought it at the dealer. My first and only vehicle bought from a dealer. The others were private sales. The '92 from an older woman with all the service records $6700 70K on the ODO, she upgraded to a 1st Gen Taco. And my current '99 bought from a friend, $17K 70Kish ODO, who "upgraded" to a 4WD Ford E-series van. Which he has had 3 of them since, and I still have the Tacoma...if that says anything. :) His old girlfriend asks, you still have that truck!? Yep still have it...still running great!

While I do like Fords, I am a Toyota guy thru and thru...if I am honest with myself the Ford thing was my dad's. Think I only like those 70's Fords because that is what I leaned to drive in.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I have had a bad back since I was 14-15? Hurt it lifting rail road ties helping my dad. Those thin ground pads kill me. Never had any luck with air mattresses either...always end up on the ground in the middle of the night.

Ok, I would change one thing on that '83. modern 2.7 engine.

But if they cost the same...would go with a 3rd Gen...it is a really nice truck. It still "feels" like a Toyota even with all the gadgetry.

Like the Marlin Crawler, 80's pickup with a 2.7L is a sweet set up. For a trail toy! I'd still rather have a 1st Gen at a minimum, for a daily driver (with a 3.4L).

And might I remind you the trucks all did cost the same (relatively speaking).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven