How do you store your trailer?

max.powerzz

Observer
I have an m416 trailer with extended tongue, fj60 axle, on 33x10.50s. We are moving to a place with an HOA and the trailer must go in the garage. How do you store your trailer? I am thinking it could tilt backwards with the tongue up and make some kind of support to keep it safely upright, then park the passenger car underneath it. How do you store your trailer, will this work? Garage is a standard 2 car garage, about 20x20.

brentbba

Explorer
Will the HOA allow you to park your tow vehicle in the driveway? While I am fortunate enough to have a 3 car garage, the M101CDN occupies the 3rd bay and my Landcruiser is parked in front of that bay. LC is too tall with its roof rack to fit in the garage anyway. My commuter car and wife's car occupy the other two spots.

If we ever move/downsize, I've always wondered what I'd do with the trailer! Offsite storage at a RV type lot, etc. just isn't very appealing but I guess would be a last resort alternative for you. I assume there's no room on either side of your house to put it that could be 'hidden' from street view by a gate/fence?

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Stick it behind the fence? Unless you have a huge rack on top of it you should be able to hide it behind a gate and keep it out of the way.

MzPriss

Observer
In my brother's backyard...in a non HOA community. (No bashing HOAs.....that's what pays me to build my toys!)

It fits in the garage, and if I had to I could put a car next to it. That's where it was during the time it was home for paint and that's where it will be when getting ready to go. I've seen some interesting, tilt on the side onto a pallet with wheels sort of thing so people could wheel them through the non RV gates. I even have a homeowner who takes his fence down block by block to get things on the other side....I don't recommend that.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Could build a shed and park it in that. Assuming the HOA permits that......

Sometimes I forget how nice it is to have my own trailer parking lot in the back yard. 4 military and 1 tandem. Just need a broken down bus parked in the front yard to complete the image (or a 2.5 ton truck).

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
I have a friend who did something like you are suggesting but there wasn't enough room for a car. He did it so he could park his motorcycle in his garage in front of his trailer. You might want to do the math and see if anything bigger than a Yugo would fit with the trailer tilted up at an angle and supported.

-Curtiss

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
Mine fits in my garage, the truck is too long to fit so the trailer gets the spot and the wife's car gets the other spot.

atavuss

Adventurer
I am lucky enough to have 10' x 60' of covered storage next to my garage and behind a locked gate where my boat, a CJ7, a M274 Mule, and Bantam trailer are parked.

Robert Bills

Explorer
My Bantam trailer is parked in my two-car garage with ample room for my Xterra next to it. I'm also lucky enough to have RV parking next to the house in case I succumb to RV/boat/project car fever.

My last house only had a one-car garage so I rented a 10x20 storage unit for $80/month and parked the trailer there, with steel shelves along the sides and across the back for storage of the things that clutter most garages but are seldom/never used. It wasn't the cheapest solution but it was the most efficient at the time. I rationalized the expense by comparing the $80 monthly expenditure to the additional expense I would have incurred for a house with a larger garage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4x6 5.5ft wide, 12ft tongue to tail lights. First 3yrs in my 2 car garage, with a Ford Fusion which is a big *** boat of a car.

Then we inherited a SLK350 with near zero miles on it. Now it sits behind the side yard fence. Fence is a crazy custom jobber prior owner was money...

I created a frame that holds the tongue and groove redwood slats between posts. The top cap is a 6x6 x18 hand hewn rounded top cap that I set up so it lifts off the top of the real 6x6 redwood posts. So slide the panel out pop the top rail and the trailer rolls through between posts.

BlairB

Observer
Subscribed for ideas.

Just closed on a home with an HOA yesterday and we are in the market for a M416. I was actually thinking the tilt idea the OP mentioned in his original post. Alternatively, maybe a 2-post lift towards the back of the garage?

max.powerzz

Observer
Update. We bought a house instead of a town home so we could keep the trailer :) Just kidding...sort of. We live in the city so space is still tight. We really wanted some outdoor living space and to have a garden. So we decided against the new-built town home in the burbs for a small home in the city with graffiti on the fence and occasional shootings. There is an alley with a detached garage so the wife gave up a little real estate on the side of the garage and I put up a quickie fence made from bamboo for aesthetics. If I take the jack off the tongue and slant it down, the 40 backs up over the tongue almost to the trailer bed. If I removed the spare on the 40 I'd have a bit more room, it just barely fits. Currently I have to take a fence panel off to get it in and out, that will be changed soon with a sliding gate.
image1.jpegimage2.jpeg40.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal