How Far Can A Car Go, and Still Be a Car?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Probably no worse than a unibody CUV but over time I'd put my money on a body-on-frame truck or SUV. It'll develop squeaks but doors will still close and body seams will still be mostly even.
I sure hope your cab isn't twisting in your unibody vehicle. Technically you have more chance of crooked door seams in a body-on-frame vehicle.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I sure hope your cab isn't twisting in your unibody vehicle. Technically you have more chance of crooked door seams in a body-on-frame vehicle.
I see your point but my thought is that most unibody cars are designed not to twist driving down paved roads. If you load them to capacity and ask them to travel unimproved roads I'd assume they'll fail sooner. Even so-called rugged traditional vehicles are getting weaker and weaker frames despite designers giving them low range and lockers and thus fully knowing they will at least occasionally be expected to bounce around dirt roads. VW and Subaru aren't building a car that had any intention of seeing anything beyond a dirt trailhead parking lot so reinforcement is probably a good idea.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Well there has to be some give somewhere. Safety standards are forcing manufacturers to add in strength where they didn't have to 10yrs ago. Unless we all want to be driving 6,000# that weight has to come from somewhere.

Engineeringly speaking cars are stiffer than ever. But how that metal reacts AFTER it reaches its rigidity limits is completely different. Think elastic band vs. toothpick. Sure the elastic band can hold less weight without bending but that toothpick sure isn't going to bounce back after it snaps.

mastersryan

Adventurer
I had been pondering the idea of trading in my truck for an Audi All-Road wagon just for this purpose as it has awd, decent ground clearance and plenty of interior room. But as I started to add up the cost's and the details this wouldn't have been that much of a difference considering it doesn't get THAT much better fuel mileage then my truck on the HWY and the vehicles weigh about the same...

I can see getting into something smaller as I currently use our 2009 Honda Civic 4-door for some local camping/biking trips and have even looked at getting a kayak rack for it for the paddle trips.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I had a Discovery II that I had invested thousands into, a terrible idea as the truck was a complete turd when trying to drive outside my own zip code. What I needed was a car to knock down big miles. Just since September I have knocked out three trips of more than 2,000 miles each. What I needed was a road machine with a teeny bit of off-road ability so I could access remote camping spots and trail heads. On my last road trip, we drove 14 hours straight from Prescott to Fort Collins and back. Even with an RTT or cargo box on the roof, I still get 23-24 mpg, and, I can still tackle most roads I want to.

http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-james-baroud-horizon-vision/

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I had a Discovery II that I had invested thousands into, a terrible idea as the truck was a complete turd when trying to drive outside my own zip code. What I needed was a car to knock down big miles. Just since September I have knocked out three trips of more than 2,000 miles each. What I needed was a road machine with a teeny bit of off-road ability so I could access remote camping spots and trail heads. On my last road trip, we drove 14 hours straight from Prescott to Fort Collins and back. Even with an RTT or cargo box on the roof, I still get 23-24 mpg, and, I can still tackle most roads I want to.

http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-james-baroud-horizon-vision/

You hit the nail on the head! I love a good road trip, I like to backpack, ride mountain bikes, and in general take the long way home. The plan is maybe some light rally prep, small LT all terrain tires, and usable storage.

Flats no more! ( fingers crossed )

So for tires my plan is to use a small LT truck tire. I know rally tyres (using proper rally spelling! ) are awesome but are too expensive and seem to be destroyed after just a few races. Car tires are weak and will leave you stranded. I have no desire to carry more then one spare. My thoughts are the old stand by BFG All Terrain. View attachment 264194

Thoughts? The 14" will go on with no mods, and most likely maintain the MPG and good driving habits of the focus. The next size up will probably require new springs.

Attachments

• 2014-12-31-11-13-49.jpg
    2014-12-31-11-13-49.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I agree with your light truck tire plan. I was looking into the same when I was hoping to build a rally styled Ford Tempo.

Based on the stock tire sizes, you will add about .5" to .75" to the radius of your wheels. Usually this isn't too bad, however keep in mind that the BFG ATs have aggressive shoulder blocks that may rub when turning. Goodyear Wrangler ATs have similar spec, but a less aggressive shoulder. Could get a remolded version of the Wranglers for testing/tearing up on the trails.

These links will show you the rough difference between the Focus's two stock sizes and the ATs.
195/60R15 vs 195/75R14
205/50R16 vs 195/75R14

Now you have me wondering what could be done with the 1995 Toyota Corolla that my brother left for me to sell when he moved.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So how far can a car go? I have recently started entertaining the idea of using a small commuter car instead of a four wheel drive for long trips. I own 2006 Jeep LJ, and use it to haul my off road trailer. I love the Jeep but it gets terrible mileage, doesn't drive that good, its slow on the highway in comparison to a car. The Jeep and trailer are well equipped with a roof top tent, Engel fridge, a cook station and so much more. I still take a trips every year that no car could survive (yes including the fabled suburu), but have found that most of the time the back roads we travel are gravel or fairly tame two track. Im not looking to replace my real 4WD, just adding tools to the tool bag.

So in steps my commuter car, a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4. My wife bought the car new, and I have done the maintinace since the free oil changes ran out. The car has a lot of pluses going for it. More comfort and interior space the the jeep, double the MPG, known service history, Easy to drive for long distances ( set cruise at 75 and wait to run out of fuel, add fuel and Red Bull and repeat) . I know the durablity of the car is directly related to how i drive and the terrain encountered. I really think with a few simple modifacations like proper tire and wheel combos, good suspention, and protecting the vital parts under the car I think this is a reality.

So my question to everyone is what modifacations have worked, and can it be done without ruining what the car is supose to be in the first place( A CAR) ? I have my own ideas that im borrowing from my exposure to off-road, road rally , and rally cross cars. I hope at the end of this the Focus would be prepped enough to travel 90% of the roads in the Americas. I would love to do some big trips into Central America, as well all through Canada and Alaska while being reliable.

As a kid we took our cars all over the place though I fondly remember the day after several attempts to get up a steep section of dirt road giving up and parking then hiking two miles to a trail head. A Subaru Wagon blew by us right up the section we were spinning and swearing trying to get up. I got my first 4x4 91 4runner with the lousy 3L imploding V6 which was soon replaced by my first Subaru! That Subaru went places cars should never go! It did more trails, more epic snow storm trips and more trailer towing than the 4runner it replaced ever did. We replaced that old Subaru because we needed more space got a new bigger subaru! HA HA Cars can do alot more than most people think. But they are not rock crawling machines. Those places can be bypassed for epic hikes anyway.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
So for tires my plan is to use a small LT truck tire. I know rally tyres (using proper rally spelling! ) are awesome but are too expensive and seem to be destroyed after just a few races. Car tires are weak and will leave you stranded. I have no desire to carry more then one spare. My thoughts are the old stand by BFG All Terrain. View attachment 264194

Thoughts? The 14" will go on with no mods, and most likely maintain the MPG and good driving habits of the focus. The next size up will probably require new springs.

Haha when I bought snow tires for my commuter focus, the tire shop told me I could put on some bfg a/t tires too. Maybe I should have! Now I have the car in Louisiana with soft snow tires on it. The soft sidewalls really allow the car to get pushed around in the wind.

Definitely look for a decent skid plate, at least under the engine. I bought a thick aluminum skid plate for my wife's golf, after hearing a lot of horror stories about broken oil pans. Cheap insurance for sure.

Going through the same thought processes right now. Have a 2006 Impreza wagon. Hoping to go with a mild lift, some AT tires, get it about Crosstrek height, and some skidplates. Bone stock, this car blows my mind. It's an automatic, which is better off road with no low range, even if it is a lot less fun on the road. I've had two Ramchargers, a Lada Niva, a Ranger and an S-10. This little Subaru gets way more milage, hauls all our gear and toys, and is so much more relaxed on the road. And it actually rides pretty decent in the woods. I have a few fellow Subaru pals with a healthy thirst for adventure, and we are pretty well matched up. But I wouldn't expect to run with the big dogs. That said, however, it goes everywhere we want/need to go. I used to off-road Tempos, Colt's, Mark II GTI, Spirits, you name it. Well, poor-road them, mostly, but some stuff a car should never be asked or expected to do. Know your rig, what it and you can do, pick good lines, use good judgement, be prepared to get back out/over things smartly, which it sounds like you already have a wrap on, and it should be fine. Bigger rigs make you look for bigger trails, that's all. I want to do Newfoundland, Inuvik, and some other cool spots with it, but in all honesty, there is so many backroads, logging roads, abandoned roads and settlements hiding all over Nova Scotia, where I live, and a car can be made to work alright enough for most of it. Mine is pretty much perfect for the job. And it's still our daily driver. Have fun, whichever way you go with it.

ctdfab

Observer
2015-01-08 03.26.27.jpg

Love those 14" BFG All terrains! I bought a $1200 85 4×4 honda civic wagon (car right? ) diy 3 inch lift and was amazing, 30 mpg in 2wd, stayed with the jeeps in 4x4 :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues