How Far Can A Car Go, and Still Be a Car?

MrWesson

Adventurer
IMO people favor the off road side of things over the overlanding idea.

If not people just really overbuild their rigs. A 4x4 with traction aids, skids and 31 or 32" tires will go almost anywhere you should go and have better road manners/MPG figures.

I think that's a good middle ground between a monster on 37's and scraping a car through a trail.

I agree that people over build their rides instead of just driving them. I know my title on the thread is a little catchy, but really the point isn't to try and take your car down a jeep trail, but instead what kind of terrain can be encounter without destroying the car. I plan to take a few big road trips this year and have no need to bring a jeep or truck if all I'm doing is rallying some gravel roads to a trailhead and unloading my Mt. Bike or throwing on a backpack. Not everyone can have a fleet of vehicles, some people only have cars. I had a period when all I had was a Mazda 3, because everything else was broken or not finished. A car is cheap and obtainable for the common man. A car will eat up miles of backcountry road in comfort. If you drive to a foreign land, (say Mexico) a cheap car will not draw attention like a 50,000 dollar diesel truck or built JK.
My Quote to you MrWesson “Adventure is to scale of the Adventurer” meaning if people leave their cubical for the first time, their adventure is just as grand as a trained team navigating the world!

IMO people favor the off road side of things over the overlanding idea.

If not people just really overbuild their rigs. A 4x4 with traction aids, skids and 31 or 32" tires will go almost anywhere you should go and have better road manners/MPG figures.

I think that's a good middle ground between a monster on 37's and scraping a car through a trail.

Last edited:
4x4 cars

if only auto companies would build stuff like this today. Years ago a good friend had a Toyota Tracel wagon with push button 4x4 and low range! Good times were had snow drifting all the way to the slopes.

View attachment 266466

Love those 14" BFG All terrains! I bought a $1200 85 4×4 honda civic wagon (car right? ) diy 3 inch lift and was amazing, 30 mpg in 2wd, stayed with the jeeps in 4x4 :ylsmoke:

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've taken my "car" some places that I'm sure no other station wagon has been. However, I do have 4wd and a low range transfer case, so I'm cheating. Plus it gets crappy MPG, so it's a moot point. But I'll share some pics anyways.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have taken our 2005 Mazda 3 with snow tires through places while fishing that I have never told my wife about, basically the same car as your Focus.

That Eagle is SICK! Always wanted one. I just got in from some recce on some ATV trails and logging roads with my stock Impreza. All ice, and I'm wearing all-seasons! :l It's still fun and challenging in a car, and you don't need to find nasty trails just to have fun! And it's still a useful car for all the "Normal" stuff. You can learn some really good driving techniques in a less capable rig, I think. Good way to practive navigation without the risk of getting lost/stuck, as well, when bored.

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
My friend and I in college used to go camping in Anza-Borrego in a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass (rear wheel drive) we fish-tailed up Arroyo del Diablo to our campsite. As long as we kept the speed over 20mph everything went just fine!

Cam

keane

Observer
We take our 2006 vibe fwd on lots of back road camping. Some times towing a small trailer. I keep our old winter tires and put them on if we are going on the back roads. Would like to get some proper all terains for it this year.

mapper

Explorer
So for tires my plan is to use a small LT truck tire. I know rally tyres (using proper rally spelling! ) are awesome but are too expensive and seem to be destroyed after just a few races. Car tires are weak and will leave you stranded. I have no desire to carry more then one spare. My thoughts are the old stand by BFG All Terrain. View attachment 264194

Thoughts? The 14" will go on with no mods, and most likely maintain the MPG and good driving habits of the focus. The next size up will probably require new springs.

I would actually consider a HT vs AT. Most trucks, CUVs and SUVs come from the factory with HTs. Most smaller (P-rated) ATs are, in my research, is the same carcass with a more aggressive tread pattern than the HT. Since you'll be spending most time on the highway and dirt roads, not terribly rough, the highway oriented tread should be sufficient. I know, it isn't as cool but for the intended use, likely more effective and better driving manners/economy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I would actually consider a HT vs AT. Most trucks, CUVs and SUVs come from the factory with HTs. Most smaller (P-rated) ATs are, in my research, is the same carcass with a more aggressive tread pattern than the HT. Since you'll be spending most time on the highway and dirt roads, not terribly rough, the highway oriented tread should be sufficient. I know, it isn't as cool but for the intended use, likely more effective and better driving manners/economy.

^ what he said

I've done lots of rough back road trips in cars. NEVER had tire issues. Only tire issues we had were in heavy trucks with truck tires and spun a tire on sharp rock thus cutting open very costly tires. Cars are much lighter and in most cases to a certain point do much better on wheel spin control due to their softer sprung suspension and in some cases better traction up to a point. AT tires on a car don't really help that much but kill your on pavement efficiency. Heavy trucks yes the AT tires are a must given the standard non AT tires are basically just passenger car tires on a heavy truck add heavy truck and rough roads on passenger car light duty tire and good chance it won't end well.

Put some really good All seasons on the car you'll be surprised how well they do on dirt roads with a light car.

TSAdventurez

Blogger/Adventurer
Dare I say? 2015 Renegade?
2015-jeep-renegade_5067-970x646-c.jpg
2015-jeep-renegade-trailhawk-front-three-quarter-04.jpg

Its rumored that it will have over 30 mpg in the Trail hawk model. I priced one out at 25,000ish for base trail hawk or 33,000ish for fully loaded trail hawk. Ive actually somewhat considered trading my Jetta in on one to use as a DD and light Offroader. My main rig gets like 15MPG Hwy and is expensive on long trips. It would be nice to be able to get the Jettas MPG in a rig i can still take on Fire service roads and the beach.

http://expeditionportal.com/first-drive-jeep-renegade/

robert

Expedition Leader
You'd be surprised how far you can go with a stock VW bug. Add some decent tires, some extra lights, a stereo and a roof rack and it'll go everywhere most folks will want to take it. Mine had a small Superwinch on the front too but I only used it to pull myself out a couple of times. It stayed loaded with camping and climbing gear (it'll hold a uprising amount of gear) and I more or less lived out of it three days out of each week during the early nineties when I was into climbing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues