How is an XJ for a big guy?

OllieDixon

I have been trying to find the right jeep to buy for quite some time.. Looks like i have found one... before i pull the trigger...

I am 6'4'' and 200lbs usually lol .. can get up to 235

Anyways i have only driven a XJ once and i never really had a chance to fully adjust the seat. It was a while ago. I don't remember feeling uncomfortable but i'm just wondering if any owners can tell me what its like in the long term. If i buy one it would be the newer model (1997 to 2001) and it would be a daily driver.

sandalscout

Adventurer
I have an XJ, I'm 6'1", about 250 or so. I feel pretty comfortable in mine. I have hip problems, and they start hurting after being in a car for more than a few hours, but the XJ is not terrible. I can place my left foot flat on the floor half next to the seat and it's pretty comfortable. The least comfortable part of it for me is the arm rest on the door, my elbow will start hurting unless I move it regularly.

Keep in mind that I drove a Hyundai Accent hatchback daily, and have driven smaller imports for years. The jeep is ENORMOUS for me.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I'm 6'5" about 300, and XJ's are on the small side as far as being comfortable. But most of that is due to girth and not height. My ZJ has a bit more room for the legs under the dash, but my legs are excessively long so that's a major problem area for me anyways. My dad's 6'4" 240 and drove an XJ forever, and another friend of mine is 6'5" 260ish and drives an XJ too with no issues.

OllieDixon

Thanks guys. Along with being comfortable i also don't want to look silly driving it lol. The massive dood in a lil truck look.

Right now i drive a tiny 89 Golf GTI 16v but its surprisingly comfy inside.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have been trying to find the right jeep to buy for quite some time.. Looks like i have found one... before i pull the trigger...

I am 6'4'' and 200lbs usually lol .. can get up to 235

Anyways i have only driven a XJ once and i never really had a chance to fully adjust the seat. It was a while ago. I don't remember feeling uncomfortable but i'm just wondering if any owners can tell me what its like in the long term. If i buy one it would be the newer model (1997 to 2001) and it would be a daily driver.

6'-0", 275 here. xj's are comfy for me. i also drive a tiny car. 81 subaru wagon 4x4...surprisingly comfy.

Naval XJ

Yah, I'm 6'3" 280 and i fit nicely in it, for very long, break free drives your knees will feel it, but just stretch them and you'll be fine.
Here's a pretty good pic that sizes me up to me XJ.
l_f31620e006b14dce97ef76693b206860.jpg

I know i look ridiculous, that was the second day i had my jeep, and I just got it dirty for the first time. So I was happy!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Cramped...

no offence but these other guys just really ike their trucks caue there's nothing "roomy" about them... And I'm a mere 5'10-11 200lbs depending on the day of the week ;)

I always felt like I could never see stoplights above me if I was first in line @ the light, and like I was in a "Cubicle" while driving. With the high center tunnel/console etc. there's not alot of room for me to get my legs comfy on long trips. Had a few of them in my time and I very much prefer the up-right seating in my current vehicle amongst other things. Maybe it's just cause my first real 4x4 was a first gen Trooper and I loved how upright and airy that felt. I never really got comfy in any of my XJ's. T

he back seats are like torture if you've got a big'n'tall fella or lady up front of you.

That said there's not a real problem if you're more "girthy" than tall, the trucks as I said are wide and have fairly good side to side room.

Good trail rigs, lots of fun in the dirt, not my first choice.

Cheers

Dave

XJINTX

Explorer
I've had 4dr and now a 2 dr... the 2dr has more room in my opinion and the bigger door is a plus.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm ~6', 220lb +/- 10 depending on the season.

I'm a little longer in the leg than the torso. I fit "perfect". There is not a lot of extra room in any direction.

As mentioned above, the rear seats are not a place for adults.

The best thing to do is strap one on and see how it goes.

As an alternate, consider a ZJ or WJ. They are a little bigger inside.

There's always a FSJ too. If you are in the southern US you should be able to find a decent one for about the same money.

Last edited:

OllieDixon

I was thinking about the ZJ .. They are just ugly to me :smilies27

XJ's are actually quite rare here. Well lots on the road but none for sale. This is the one i want http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1019825751.html . It is about 2 1/2 hours away from me (including a $100 ferry ride there and back). I went around to dealerships today to see if i could sit in one ... NONE! :yikes:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about the ZJ .. They are just ugly to me :smilies27

XJ's are actually quite rare here. Well lots on the road but none for sale. This is the one i want http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1019825751.html . It is about 2 1/2 hours away from me (including a $100 ferry ride there and back). I went around to dealerships today to see if i could sit in one ... NONE! :yikes:

hey ollie, sounds like you've narrowed it down. though they may be rare in your area 5500 is a VERY high price to pay for a 97...I can find fully built XJ's for that price in the western states, cali, nevada, arizona, etc.

might have to wait for that deal. People are probably holding onto older cars that they don't owe on right now, as their newer financed rigs are being reposssed...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'll counterpose and suggest that in Canuckistan that is a decent price.

There are some nice parts on that Jeep. The Vanco brake upgrade makes me think that this truck was built by a thoughtful Jeep builder and probably wasn't abused.

Really not a fan of ProCrap parts on any vehicle. <sorry /> Note mention of how stiff the suspension is...

I don't know about in B.C. but in Ontario a vehicle won't pass a new buyers safety inspection (required for ownership transfer) if there is anything wrong with the windshield. If you deal on this Jeep make sure the current owner gets the glass fixed or knocks some money off.

inked33

Adventurer
im 6'4 200lbs and had an xj for 4yrs as a trail rig and daily driver and was comfortable in it with the seat all the way back.

OllieDixon

I realize people will be fairly biased in this section of the forums .. but would a 3rd gen 4runner have a bit more room? They look more open and dare i say better built on the inside.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I always found the front drivers position in the Toy mini-trucks to be too small for me. Felt like my head was going to touch the ceiling and I need to keep my head cocked to one side.

Really, I think it is a wash; depends more on how you are built and if you can get comfortable in the vehicle as it sits.

Go do some test drives. From a technical point of view there is nothing wrong with either platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal