How many of you make sure to bring protection when on the trail?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Flounder said:
Not so much a tactic as a way of life. I'm half French, half chicken. I'd much rather a:luxhello: void the scary situation than figger out ways to fight my way out of said ugly situation. You should'a seen me traveling through parts of West Africa. I was like the scared illegitimate love child of Woody Allen and Don Knotts. In part because I didn't listen to my inner chicken and ended up in a part of Africa that wasn't kind to gangly, naive Americans. I got a rifle butt slammed into my kidney by a soldier. That made me a chicken for life. To quote Monte Python, "Run away......"

:luxhello: :jump: :hehe: :xxrotflma

Thanks for the chuckle. Pretty funny. :) (not the part about the rifle butt, just the rest)

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Always my Beretta 92FS 9mm, on trail or not. On overnights or deeper areas, I also take my Norinco SKS, It will soon be replaced by an AR15 though. The rifles are more for survival hunting than defense though.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
alaskantinbender said:
Protection........oh, protection. I was thinking.....oh never mind.:jumping:

I opened the thread thinking exactly the same thing, with a very curious and this-should-be-interesting raised eyebrow.

Flounder said:
If I don't feel safe in a given area, then I move along.

Whether that's borne of your French side, your chicken side, or just plain common sense, it's good thinking to me.

pwc said:
I usually bring my wits for protection.
And a large medieval sheild. you pull that sucker out and people think you're nuts....but it's good protection from the spears and occasional lance attack.

Hilarious ... and true! Bad guys don't want to mess with crazy people. Who knows, that Crusader shield could be part of your suicide-bomber disguise....

Personally, I travel relatively safe routes, both in terms of human and indigenous predators. For the exceptions, my wits seem the best defense.

Sleeps In Jeeps said:
I make sure to always pack at least mace and my police baton.

Thats funny, I bring the same thing. I would almost hate to use it though since it is from the mid 1800's. It also hangs over the bed post in our apartment. I think it makes my fiance feel better with all the tweekers around the area.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Mace, and a big dog.............and a non confrontational attitude.

Most people when seeing Diesel prefer to cross the street, if it does not work

Pack up / move on walk away and all that gets hurt is your pride,

I can survive that.

The mace.....thats for the bears.... and the wife:)

GaryMc

Explorer
Recently, on a solo camping trip, I was cornered my some very unpleasant folks in the boonies. I was able to defuse the situation by acting like I had a cell signal and had called their plates in ( I never even got a good look at the vehicles plates and I had no cell signal). I was very, very spooked. Had they called my bluff I firmly believe that I would be dead.
I now own a pisto, Springfield XD .45 ACP, and am learning to use it properly. I don't feel the need for a 'concealed carry' license, but I will be armed on solo trips from now on.

My stepdad was a cop and I was raised around them from the time I was 8yrs to 18yrs. Gun safety is a huge factor for me, as it instilled in me for the time we moved in with him.

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I generally only carry on trips near the border. (Ruger p89) I ran into drug runners once, nothing happened, but it was disconcerting to say the least.

easy610

Observer
With the advent of the "right-to-carry" laws around the country I cannot see a reason not to do so...especially when in deserted places.

I'd like to rely on the kindness of strangers, but 12+ yrs in law enforcement tells me while they are relatively few in number, true bad people are out there and they really are without remorse. They will do things to you, your family or your stuff you would be shocked to think another human would be capable.

I go nowhere without a weapon.

I've made a point of not being paranoid and have taught my wife and kids the same. But being "not paranoid" does not have to mean you are unaware or unwilling to consider worst case scenario.

If you're not into firearms or a lot of training, a simple revolver and a shotgun will fulfill all but the most extreme defensive needs.

Personally I carry either G19 or 23, with a spare magazine. Also a centerfire semi-auto rifle with three to four magazines.

Normal daily carry...

MVC-515F.jpg

Trunk gun...

ConvertedSaiga004.jpg

Better to have it and not need it....well you know the rest.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am, perhaps, less concerned than most, but I do carry some protection when I travel in remote places. The biggest need for protection is not any danger associated with wildlife. Near the borders, or in many areas of the West you may inadvertently come too close to a pot field or meth lab, or be the target of some local bad guys who will assume that you are an unarmed tourist.

I keep a Colt Officer's Model 45 ACP with two clips handy in my vehicle or roof tent. I have a leather pancake for CCW if needed. This gun is familiar, compact, and has a big hole in the end. Of course, I always comply with local laws regarding the transportation of firearms... yep.

For a general camping gun I carry a S&W 651 stainless .22 revolver.

For protection from things with big teeth, I may carry a S&W 629 4" Mountain Gun in 44 Magnum. The last is an amazing and very accurate weapon, but is not carried often.

Bergger

Explorer
easy610 said:
With the advent of the "right-to-carry" laws around the country I cannot see a reason not to do so...especially when in deserted places.

I'd like to rely on the kindness of strangers, but 12+ yrs in law enforcement tells me while they are relatively few in number, true bad people are out there and they really are without remorse. They will do things to you, your family or your stuff you would be shocked to think another human would be capable.

I go nowhere without a weapon.

I've made a point of not being paranoid and have taught my wife and kids the same. But being "not paranoid" does not have to mean you are unaware or unwilling to consider worst case scenario.

If you're not into firearms or a lot of training, a simple revolver and a shotgun will fulfill all but the most extreme defensive needs.

Personally I carry either G19 or 23, with a spare magazine. Also a centerfire semi-auto rifle with three to four magazines.

Normal daily carry...

MVC-515F.jpg

Trunk gun...

ConvertedSaiga004.jpg

Better to have it and not need it....well you know the rest.

I'm a cop myself and I hope what's featured above is what you carry on the job and not off. When I'm just out and about off duty I always have a knife if the pocket and I'll throw my backup pistol in my pocket maybe half the time. When I take the family out camping I always have a gun on me. I'm a firm believer in avoidance, heck if you want to make it 20+ years in my job you have to be, but I also am a firm believer in being in having the skill and means to protect my family and myself when avoidance is not an option. You may not always be able to "run away."

easy610

Observer
Couldn't agree more with avoidance as plan #1. I do NOT plan to get involved off-duty if I can avoid...especially with kids or wife with me.

With the exception of the BUG KelTec P3AT yes, that is what I carry everyday, all day - winter months. Summer months I have the Kahr PM-9 IWB, but still with extra magazine and other pieces of kit. If I am out, that’s what I carry…unless I’m at the gym or running.

I started out carrying a snubby like many cops. My dad was a cop, my brother is a cop...I grew up around cops my entire life for the past 40 years. I thought the ubiquitous snubby was "enuf gun" off-duty. Heck, if it was good enuf for Dad, it should be good enuf for me, right? Five for sure....

Thru the years I've been fortunate to acquire some fantastic training from some real hero’s (LEO and Mil). I don't do what I do "...cause I read about it in some SOF mag..." I do what I do on the advice of some been-there-done-that guys. Lt Grossman for example. A fantastic speaker, by the way.

Not to mention other of equal prestige. Anyway if you have the right and privilege of being allowed to carry you should and take it seriously. With today’s modern kydex this and that and the modern LED powerful light a spare magazine and a light source isn't difficult to carry in cargo pants or shorts year around.

One mans paranoia is another mans preparations….

Cheers.

ps. and I, for one, fully support everyones right to go armed if they are allowed to do so. Unlike so many out there I actually trust the average joe to do the right thing and that avg joe can be trusted with a firearm...statistics support this fact.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
easy610 said:
Personally I carry either G19....

How do you like the G19? I bought a nice used Kahr P9 a few weeks ago and I just can't get a handle on it. I like the way it feels but I'm just not accurate with it. I think I'm going to trade it in on a new G19 this week. They seem like a good gun for the money and one that I won't mind beating up a bit carrying or stashing in my truck. I also want something with an accessory rail. Doesn't seem like I can go wrong with it.

Also, I see you carry a Kel-Tec for a BUG. I have a P3-AT in hard chrome and though it's not a lot of fun to shoot, it fits with a spare mag in the back pocket of my jeans and I carry it all summer long. Great little gun for the money!

P3AT.JPG

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk