How Many Use FRS/GMRS Hand Helds

BigJ

Observer
Yeah for better or worse, we use 'em. I'm usually the only one with a ham rig, so I've hacked my iComm IC-208H VHF/UHF to allow me to use to it instead of a handheld. I refuse to depend solely on those handhelds in the boonies.

Adventurer
Yeah for better or worse, we use 'em. I'm usually the only one with a ham rig, so I've hacked my iComm IC-208H VHF/UHF to allow me to use to it instead of a handheld. I refuse to depend solely on those handhelds in the boonies.

HI BigJ,
Me too. My alternative is a Cobra CB permanently mounted in my Jeep. But I carry a pair of FRS handhelds in case I link up with someone who does not have a CB and I can loan them one. Even in my Jeep Club, not everyone has a working CB. The operative word is "Working".

I'm not into ham radio. My only real use for CB is for vehicle to vehicle communications for which CB works fine as does FRS.

Sparky

BigJ

Observer
HI BigJ,
Me too. My alternative is a Cobra CB permanently mounted in my Jeep. But I carry a pair of FRS handhelds in case I link up with someone who does not have a CB and I can loan them one. Even in my Jeep Club, not everyone has a working CB. The operative word is "Working".

I'm not into ham radio. My only real use for CB is for vehicle to vehicle communications for which CB works fine as does FRS.

Sparky
Hiya Sparky, yep we're totally on the same page. I too carry a couple FRS's just in case, and a HT 2M Ham radio too (just 'cause I'm paranoid like that). And I wouldn't say I'm into ham radio either, only really using it when off road. I chose it as an emergency measure since pretty much anywhere I can envision running has a repeater within reach, which in theory would allow me to call out for help to anywhere in the world.

I run a Ford Raptor, as do most of the guys I run with. I've only met one guy that has installed a CB in his so far, and he's a former hardcore Jeeper. CBs just don't seem to have migrated well into the Raptor world yet, if ever. So FRS dominates.

Phreak480

Army Guy
I've got a ton of frs/gmrs radios and I sometimes bring them out to be able to coordinate with other who have no communications assets. I also have a HAM and CB installed in both of my vehicles, need to get a cb for the wife's pickup still though, she has a HAM rig already.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
We keep three FRS in the rig. They work well for vehicle to vehicle and short hikes. I use them mostly for loaners when traveling with others. My son and I are hams so we carry HT VHF/UHF radios. The truck will crossband repeat so we have pretty good range. If I can get my navigator licensed we will primarily use the HT radios.

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I carry FRS/GRMS, CB, and have a mobile 2m/70cm unit. I camp with some people that only have FRS/GRMS. Local 4x4 groups seem to favor CB, so I have a handheld CB. Gotta be flexible. :)

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have an old pair of Moto FRS radios that we use from time to time depending on who we are traveling with. They work well, but the limited range can be an issue.

We have both CB and 2M radios mounted in the truck. I am actually finding that there are some advantages of FRS over CB, namely better audio quality, the relative ease of being able to find a channel of your own, and the general lack of interference from bozo's on the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy